Deliberate or not?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ukdodger

Deliberate or not?

Post by ukdodger »

By someone unhappy with cyclists maybe. I think it was approaching Warrington. It was horse dung not cow dung.

AlaninWales

Re: Deliberate or not?

Post by AlaninWales »

Eh? A trailer - probably turning from a country lane into that field which means a sharp and uphill turn across uneven ground, bounces out a sackful of (useful) manure; this is somehow a potential grudge against cyclists? :roll:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

AlaninWales wrote:Eh? A trailer - probably turning from a country lane into that field which means a sharp and uphill turn across uneven ground, bounces out a sackful of (useful) manure; this is somehow a potential grudge against cyclists? :roll:

Not necessarily cyclists. Anyone possibly. It was the entrance to some farm buildings. The pile in the foreground didnt look to me like it had fallen. More like it was shovelled. I've known farmers to leave dogs out to deter walkers why not dung :(

Anyway if it was an accident why not clear it up.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ukdodger wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:Eh? A trailer - probably turning from a country lane into that field which means a sharp and uphill turn across uneven ground, bounces out a sackful of (useful) manure; this is somehow a potential grudge against cyclists? :roll:

Not necessarily cyclists. Anyone possibly. It was the entrance to some farm buildings. The pile in the foreground didnt look to me like it had fallen. More like it was shovelled. I've known farmers to leave dogs out to deter walkers why not dung :(

Because they exited the field by another gate?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

Because they exited the field by another gate?

Yes that' s possible. Selfish prats who couldnt be bothered.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ukdodger wrote:Yes that' s possible. Selfish prats who couldnt be bothered.

More likely they didn't even realise that a small amount of their manure had fallen off the very back of the trailer - 20 feet behind them...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Yes that' s possible. Selfish prats who couldnt be bothered.

More likely they didn't even realise that a small amount of their manure had fallen off the very back of the trailer - 20 feet behind them...

I dont have that much faith in human nature.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

It's the countryside. Animal manure is part of the scenery; always has been. Even the pretty paintings by Turner frequently have manure in them. It's neither a town park nor a plastic golf course and is all the better for that.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

AlaninWales wrote:It's the countryside. Animal manure is part of the scenery; always has been. Even the pretty paintings by Turner frequently have manure in them. It's neither a town park nor a plastic golf course and is all the better for that.

It's a public highway and it's dung.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

ukdodger wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:It's the countryside. Animal manure is part of the scenery; always has been. Even the pretty paintings by Turner frequently have manure in them. It's neither a town park nor a plastic golf course and is all the better for that.

It's a public highway and it's dung.

Wouldn't worry about it. Think of all the fumes you could be breathing in if you travelled somewhere where you were less likely to encounter manure. I'd take the natural pollution any day

Edit: fixed language in quote
Last edited by Adam S on 27 Sep 2013, 3:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

djqster

Post by djqster »

ukdodger wrote:It's a public highway and it's dung.

Yep. Farmers are liable for what they leave on the road though it's usually mud.

Highways Act 1980 Section 161 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence”.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Si wrote:http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10801

Groan..
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Its about time horse carts were motorised.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

That is well rotted manure. Unless there is a muck heap close by and a farmer hiding in the hedge whooping with glee every time a cyclist hits the heap, them I'm with the fallen off the back of a trailer theory.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.