I fancy a fixie

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jughead

I fancy a fixie

Post by Jughead »

Is this a mid life crisis? Being 48 and 3/4, I probably need a good slap. Anyone else my age got one? I quite like one of those Mango things but being this age I can afford a wee bit better. Sorry, not bragging. I like those Tokyo Bikes for their simplicity. Any other wrinklies got one?

Gerry

ps....I wont get one of those dayglo numbers. Strictly dull dark or beige.
tatanab

Re: I fancy a fixie

Post by tatanab »

Jughead wrote:I like those Tokyo Bikes for their simplicity. Any other wrinklies got one?
This is to be taken light heartedly --- Wrinklies (like me) would say "fixed" not "fixie" which always makes my teeth fall out in disgust. Wrinklies would not buy a modern fashion victim machine either. Wrinklies would have a track frame or an old path frame already in use. This wrinklie has had at least one fixed in his stable of machines for the last 45 years. All fixed machines have simplicity to them, not just this brand. I have assumed that when you say fixie you mean fixed wheel and not a single freewheel - some people seem to mix the terms too freely.

I assume you are looking for opinions on this brand. I have nothing to offer except to say that I would rather build up a machine myself than buy a stock one, and the appearance of them is just not pleasing to me - unicrown forks for example, not to my taste.

On a positive note - get a fixed, grow your cycling experience, it is great fun and good to have experience of as many types of machine as you can.
Si

Post by Si »

I would second building your own - lots of fun and fulfilment to be taken from it, and you can end up with a rather nice bike not limited by what some sales and marketing peep thinks will appeal to hipsters.

But carry on calling them 'fixies' as it annoys the 'wrinklies' :lol: There again, only having had one for about 20 years I'm a relative newcomer to the dark art....in fact I've been told that mine isn't a real fixed because it's got a rear brake, no, really!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Three years ago when a broken hip prevented me from cycling anything, I admired the fixies for sale in Cambridge market. They looked beautiful, with none of the clutter caused by brakes, gears, luggage capacity, water bottles, pumps etc. But the wheel had a sprocket on the wrong side so it could be flipped over to get a freewheel, and this spoilt the elegant simplicity for me.
Si

Post by Si »

snibgo wrote:Three years ago when a broken hip prevented me from cycling anything, I admired the fixies for sale in Cambridge market. They looked beautiful, with none of the clutter caused by brakes, gears, luggage capacity, water bottles, pumps etc. But the wheel had a sprocket on the wrong side so it could be flipped over to get a freewheel, and this spoilt the elegant simplicity for me.

Not to mention making it even more illegal and suicidal!!!!!

If anyone is new to riding fixed I'd recommend getting a bike with front and rear brakes. Likewise, if you ever plan to flip it to the FW, you need a rear brake. Mine is fixed only at the moment but I still use a rear brake as it just saves energy over leg braking.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Have a generation of people forgotten about double fixed hubs? Mine is set to have a general purpose gear on one side and a low time trial gear on the other for those very very rare times I might ride a time trial. Ride to the event, turn wheel over, ride, reverse procedure. In days gone by I had a summer gear (72") on one side and a winter gear (65") on the other, then I took to riding the winter gear all year round. I've never ridden a fixed with a rear brake, mainly because I've had track frames.
Si

Post by Si »

I think that it just makes it more useful to have a FW on the other side for the average cyclist...after all, how many people still TT on fixed...comparatively few (although there are still a few that continue to kid themselves that a fixed is faster in a hill climb because it pushes your feet through the dead spot :twisted: ). Not that mine has anything on the other side.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Again in days gone by - I was lucky enough to live in a city with a track, a big old concrete outdoor track. I would ride my track bike to the event, turn the wheel around, take off the front brake and ride.

My current fixed is I think a thing of under stated thin tubed elegance when compared with the modern fat tubed offerings. The odd angle of dangle on the rear mudguard is to allow clearance to pull the wheel out. Yes I could use safety releases like on the front but I do not like them because they rattle a bit and a fixed should be deathly silent.
Attachments
temp.jpg
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Mudguards? What are they?

Si wrote:Not to mention making it even more illegal and suicidal!!!!

Yeah, the thought of a bike with no brakes gives me the shivers. But they were beautiful bikes.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

A veteran non PC clubmate has had to give up riding and has this fixed wheel Mal Rees to sell. PM me for more details if you are interested.

Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

Not quite a 'wrinklie' (I'm only 49!) but I've ridden on a fixed wheel since my 20s. I've also got 2 sets of brakes and mudguards and don't care if you call it a 'fixie' either :lol: ! I ride it mush of the time because it really is the best bike for most jobs (admittedly I probably wouldn't if I lived in the Yorkshire Dales rather than Norfolk!). It's got a 42 tooth chainring and a 16 on the back, plus an 18 tooth freewheel on the other side of the flip/flop hub for when I'm knackered!
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

Grandad wrote:A veteran non PC clubmate has had to give up riding and has this fixed wheel Mal Rees to sell. PM me for more details if you are interested.

mmm very nice 8)
I used to always ride a fixed(not a fixie)in my youth and even did a 200k randonee at 15 at high wycombe on it
but now I`m older over 40the last time I rode a fixed from my brothers shed of 30years I frightened the life out myself riding to work when the chain came off!!!Ive decided maybe they`re not for me anymore........but hmmm my job has changed....so My dialy commute doesn`t mean that horrible hill :)
I`m def too old for this!