Cyclists beware

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Fletten

Cyclists beware

Postby Fletten » 30 Sep 2013, 4:02pm

Cyclists beware, the autumn fall of conkers, nuts and berries are starting to litter the cycle tracks and minor roads, but what caught me out last November was leaves which were hiding a lot of broken glass, which took out both tyres, they were so badly cut I had to replace both, I dread to think what would have happened if I had fallen on it. None the less this is my favourite time of the year to ride the tracks and lanes round my town.

drossall

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby drossall » 30 Sep 2013, 10:21pm

You get broken glass falling out of trees round your way? :shock: :wink:

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Oct 2013, 5:58am

Squirrels are like that when the worse for wear...

Fletten

Postby Fletten » 1 Oct 2013, 8:47am

The culprits in my case are the human two legged kind who seem to think it’s funny to throw glasses and bottles on the track on their way home from the nearby clubs and pubs but on that day I took my eye off the ball or road so to speak, I shall use a four letter word NUTS :o

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 1 Oct 2013, 9:23am

I'd like to see all glass banned from pubs and other drinking places, and from use as alcohol containers in shops. No buts - maybe expensive vintage wines could be excepted, but that's all. Broken glass is a scourge in our streets around the town pubs, especially on New Years day and after big football matches. And, how many admissions to A&E at night are glassing injuries in which alcohol has played a part? Yes I know a pint of cask-conditioned Real Ale (e.g. our local Harveys Best Bitter) doesn't taste the same out of a plastic cup, but that's a sacrifice worth making. What about bringing back metal tankards?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 1 Oct 2013, 9:52am

I don't think it's necessary to ban glasses from pubs. But glass bottles - perhaps. Trouble is glass is recycleable, plastic not so much. But there certainly isn't a need for the amount of broken glass on our streets, it's everywhere.

Adam S

Postby Adam S » 1 Oct 2013, 12:00pm

There's pubs and there's pubs... Let's face it, this is never going to be an issue at Tan Hill (http://goo.gl/maps/RsD2A) is it? So, I think an outright ban would be excessive. Maybe a good idea as a licensing restriction on problematic pubs in town. It's already common at festivals and live performance venues

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Oct 2013, 1:13pm

I was hit on the head by a large conker earlier on my way home.

Good job I was wearing a helmet. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 2 Oct 2013, 11:30am

It seems the pewter ale jug might at last be ready for a come back.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 2 Oct 2013, 12:35pm

CREPELLO wrote:It seems the pewter ale jug might at last be ready for a come back.

Now, that might have been a good retirement prezzie idea! (I've just retired from work, they gave me a clock - anyway my colleagues all know I don't drink much). Tell me, if you take one of these along to a pub and ask for a pint, will they fill it for you?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 2 Oct 2013, 1:12pm

661-Pete wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:It seems the pewter ale jug might at last be ready for a come back.

Now, that might have been a good retirement prezzie idea! (I've just retired from work, they gave me a clock - anyway my colleagues all know I don't drink much). Tell me, if you take one of these along to a pub and ask for a pint, will they fill it for you?

Did last time I took mine along.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Oct 2013, 9:53pm

661-Pete wrote:I'd like to see all glass banned from pubs and other drinking places, and from use as alcohol containers in shops. No buts - maybe expensive vintage wines could be excepted, but that's all. Broken glass is a scourge in our streets around the town pubs, especially on New Years day and after big football matches. And, how many admissions to A&E at night are glassing injuries in which alcohol has played a part? Yes I know a pint of cask-conditioned Real Ale (e.g. our local Harveys Best Bitter) doesn't taste the same out of a plastic cup, but that's a sacrifice worth making. What about bringing back metal tankards?

Solved very simply with a £10 deposit on any drinks receptacle whether it be glass plastic or can.
Result,no more litter.
Will it happen in the UK?...............dream on.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 8 Oct 2013, 11:17am

reohn2 wrote:Solved very simply with a £10 deposit on any drinks receptacle whether it be glass plastic or can.
Result,no more litter.
Will it happen in the UK?...............dream on.

Used to be returning glass bottles was worth 5p (or whatever it was).

I do despair at packaging sometimes, even though I do buy the products. e.g. thick plastic box with a hinged lid in order to contain just a few squares of flapjack, it's a massive waste. Surely there is a better way to transport it?

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 24 Oct 2013, 7:46pm

Parked the car this weekend, as I turned away there was a big THUD!
Looked back and saw a pear on my roof.
Thought about how loud it had sounded, looked up at the pear laden tree I'd stupidly parked under without realising it, thought again, and moved the car.
I was surprised the roof wasn't dented, it was one hell of a thud. :shock:

fluffybunnyuk

Postby fluffybunnyuk » 26 Oct 2013, 12:29am

Parked the car this weekend, as I turned away there was a big THUD!
Looked back and saw a pear on my roof.

yay!!! A reason for me to get a cycle helmet... :lol: