Cyclists beware

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pete75
Posts: 13291
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby pete75 » 26 Oct 2013, 12:46am

661-Pete wrote:Yes I know a pint of cask-conditioned Real Ale (e.g. our local Harveys Best Bitter) doesn't taste the same out of a plastic cup, but that's a sacrifice worth making.



No it's not.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17805
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 Oct 2013, 9:23am

The take your own tankard...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

pete75
Posts: 13291
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby pete75 » 26 Oct 2013, 10:59am

[XAP]Bob wrote:The take your own tankard...



I don't need to because your rather silly idea isn't going anywhere.
In any case the licencing authorities can currently make premises where there is trouble involving glass use plastic or toughened safety glasses.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9806
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Oct 2013, 11:46am

Flinders wrote:Parked the car this weekend, as I turned away there was a big THUD!
Looked back and saw a pear on my roof.
Thought about how loud it had sounded, looked up at the pear laden tree I'd stupidly parked under without realising it, thought again, and moved the car.
I was surprised the roof wasn't dented, it was one hell of a thud. :shock:

If you're planning a tour in the tropics, beware of cycling under coconut trees in windy weather (and also in calm weather) :shock: . I remember, on holiday in the West Indies some years ago, we were sitting having a meal in a restaurant, on an outside terrace with a corrugated iron roof. All of a sudden there was an almighty crash!!! - we thought a bomb had gone off. But the waiter reassured us, it was only a coconut. Anyway, the reason for the roof being there, was now plain!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17805
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 Oct 2013, 12:44pm

pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:The take your own tankard...



I don't need to because your rather silly idea isn't going anywhere.
In any case the licencing authorities can currently make premises where there is trouble involving glass use plastic or toughened safety glasses.

Don't recall it being my idea...
What's wrong with taking a tankard?

I'd happily start with just banning glass bottles. I'm sure champagne pressure could be held in check with a modern polycarb bottle...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

pete75
Posts: 13291
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby pete75 » 26 Oct 2013, 3:17pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pete75 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:The take your own tankard...



I don't need to because your rather silly idea isn't going anywhere.
In any case the licencing authorities can currently make premises where there is trouble involving glass use plastic or toughened safety glasses.

Don't recall it being my idea...
What's wrong with taking a tankard?

I'd happily start with just banning glass bottles. I'm sure champagne pressure could be held in check with a modern polycarb bottle...



Why is there this obsession these days with banning things? If you don't like glass bottles don't buy em. If you don't like glassware don't drink from it. That's your choice. Just don't try and force your views on others.

LollyKat
Posts: 2996
Joined: 28 May 2011, 11:25pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby LollyKat » 26 Oct 2013, 3:48pm

Now, now.... :roll:

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17805
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 Oct 2013, 3:53pm

I don't object to glass bottles, and I dispose of them responsibily, but I am sick of the amount of shattered glass bottles, deliberately smashed over public rights of way - roads, cyclepaths, bridleways and footpaths.
No amount of "not drinking from them" by me can change that... and since we barely have enough police to cover this weeks governmental "think of the" children/terrorists... there only reasonable approach left is to stop them at source. How many people still get milk in glass bottles?

The accompanying vomit is at least washed away by rain and biodegrades. The glass is a safety hazard for many people, even before it starts cutting tyres.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

beetroot
Posts: 82
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 9:25am

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby beetroot » 26 Oct 2013, 4:48pm

661-Pete wrote:I'd like to see all glass banned from pubs and other drinking places, and from use as alcohol containers in shops. No buts - maybe expensive vintage wines could be excepted, but that's all. Broken glass is a scourge in our streets around the town pubs, especially on New Years day and after big football matches. And, how many admissions to A&E at night are glassing injuries in which alcohol has played a part? Yes I know a pint of cask-conditioned Real Ale (e.g. our local Harveys Best Bitter) doesn't taste the same out of a plastic cup, but that's a sacrifice worth making. What about bringing back metal tankards?


Why vintage wines? I could understand if you suggested real ale, but vintage wine should be served in plastic cups, have you any class?

pete75
Posts: 13291
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby pete75 » 26 Oct 2013, 5:04pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:I don't object to glass bottles, and I dispose of them responsibily, but I am sick of the amount of shattered glass bottles, deliberately smashed over public rights of way - roads, cyclepaths, bridleways and footpaths.
No amount of "not drinking from them" by me can change that... and since we barely have enough police to cover this weeks governmental "think of the" children/terrorists... there only reasonable approach left is to stop them at source. How many people still get milk in glass bottles?

The accompanying vomit is at least washed away by rain and biodegrades. The glass is a safety hazard for many people, even before it starts cutting tyres.



Don't know where you live but I've seen very little of what you describe - even when cycling in big places like Lincoln or York. There's none around our villages where, incidentally, the milkman still delivers milk in glass bottles.

Mark1978
Posts: 4912
Joined: 17 Jul 2012, 8:47am
Location: Chester-le-Street, County Durham

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby Mark1978 » 26 Oct 2013, 5:55pm

You must live in a very unusual place which has not smashed glass around. It seems to be *everywhere*.

User avatar
mill4six
Posts: 931
Joined: 10 Feb 2009, 7:42pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby mill4six » 26 Oct 2013, 6:46pm

Don't modern pint glasses shatter into harmless squares?

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9806
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Oct 2013, 10:54pm

pete75 wrote:I don't need to because your rather silly idea isn't going anywhere.
In any case the licencing authorities can currently make premises where there is trouble involving glass use plastic or toughened safety glasses.

pete75 wrote:Why is there this obsession these days with banning things? If you don't like glass bottles don't buy em. If you don't like glassware don't drink from it. That's your choice. Just don't try and force your views on others.

I guess these remarks were meant to be directed at me, but no matter... :wink:
I don't think I have an "obsession .... with banning things". Merely that, where banning something offers definite and tangible benefits to the community as a whole - that includes cyclists and ask anyone who works Saturday nights in A&E - , it at least ought to be considered. I don't make such proposals lightly. Of course, any person's suggestion is going to seem 'silly' to another person. Such is life. Anyway: it's not about whether I want to buy glass bottles. It's about whether I want irresponsible people (drunk, usually) to have them in their hands....

But of course I agree with you, my ["silly"] idea is unlikely to transition to actual legislation... not with the politicians we 'enjoy' ...:(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16239
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby mjr » 27 Oct 2013, 12:24am

fluffybunnyuk wrote:
Parked the car this weekend, as I turned away there was a big THUD!
Looked back and saw a pear on my roof.


yay!!! A reason for me to get a cycle helmet... :lol:

Yeah, on Monday, I rode without a helmet for the first time in a while, because I am anti helmet and anti compulsion. Two trees smacked me around the head and reminded me why I wear a helmet most of the time now. Blasted council hedge cutting cuts!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mrjemm
Posts: 2933
Joined: 20 Nov 2011, 4:33pm

Re: Cyclists beware

Postby mrjemm » 27 Oct 2013, 1:06am

mill4six wrote:Don't modern pint glasses shatter into harmless squares?


Nope. At least not the ones we got from beer and cider festivals and I seem to have an unnatural tendency to break. :(