What do I say to inconsiderate drivers?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
san0

What do I say to inconsiderate drivers?

Post by san0 »

Today I chose to ride on the road because it's much smoother and less debris thanon the shared pedestrian cycle path. As I approached the central reservation, I know from experience during the rush hour, many cars will try to squeeze through this point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLYyaD3KvA.

I normally get angry and give them a 2 finger salute, in this instance, the 4x4 braked and tried to indicate to me ride on the cycle path. I caught up to him in the traffic jam ahead, so I gave him a thumbs up as to say 'well done you plonker, you nearly squashed me'. But that gesture made him beep the horn ans shout out to "get off the road and use the cycle path!"

At this point I couldn't be bothered to reply as I couldn't think of a few things to say, in case he hurls a load of abuse which is likely from someone with a reg plate DR SIC.

Any suggestions on what come-back quotes we cycles should use in this type of argument?
Last edited by san0 on 2 Oct 2013, 7:09am, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Re: What do I say to incosiderate drivers?

Post by tatanab »

Nothing at all because the driver is not going to be prepared to pull over for a reasonable conversation about rights and responsibilities etc.

Any gesture, even a shrug of the shoulders at a bad overtake can be misconstrued and the driver may take umbrage and you simply will not win.

Hard I know, but it really is not worth the fuss. On occasions I've gestured or shouted something I find I relive it several times for a few days whereas Mr Motorist forgets it in a second. So do not bother.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If it were me riding through there, I'd take the lane (out in the middle) well before the pinch point so that the drivers of motor vehicles cannot get them past. I'd aim to ride down the middle of the 'teeth' that mark the road, rather than on the left side of them.
Last edited by Vorpal on 1 Oct 2013, 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you end up getting a good kicking after a frank exchange of views, it may be of some comfort to know that the judge thinks you were entitled to draw the driver's attention to your grievance. Or not.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79851
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

tatanab wrote:Nothing at all because the driver is not going to be prepared to pull over for a reasonable conversation about rights and responsibilities etc.

Any gesture, even a shrug of the shoulders at a bad overtake can be misconstrued and the driver may take umbrage and you simply will not win.

+1
You're not going to educate anybody about the error of their ways and it can only aggravate the situation to go and have it out. If it's really bad and you have evidence then report it, either to police or the company if it's a commercial vehicle (or a cycle forum :) ), otherwise you just have to let it go.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:If it were me riding through there, I'd take the lane (out in the middle) well before the pinch point so that the drivers of motor vehicles cannot get them past. I'd aim to ride down the middle of the 'teeth' that mark the road, rather than on the left side of them.

+ 1.

And to the OP I would say, if you do get inconsiderate behaviour think about your road positioning first. I've no doubt that I've caused many drivers to post on motorists' forums asking what they should say to that inconsiderate horizon bloke. Having said that, I've also accosted the odd driver but usually just made some polite remark about why they should have done it differently. I would also invest in a mirror* if you haven't done so already.

AKA as King of the Road
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:If it were me riding through there, I'd take the lane (out in the middle) well before the pinch point so that the drivers of motor vehicles cannot get them past. I'd aim to ride down the middle of the 'teeth' that mark the road, rather than on the left side of them.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
easyroller

Re: What do I say to inconsiderate drivers?

Post by easyroller »

It's usually best not to say anything agressive to inconsiderate/angry drivers, usually makes the situation worse. Plus they're in a tonne or more of cycle crushing metal and you're protected (or not) by a piece of foam resting on the top your head. As above, go over the situation in your head thinking about how you could have done something diffreently and then ride away happy.

Or you could just smash off thier wing mirror then pedal like **........ :twisted:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

In this case the cyclists know's the driver was wrong, but the driver believes the cyclist was still wrong.

In any case, this is why you must take primary at pinch points.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

+1 to saying nothing. You cannot argue with a psychopath, even if it is in a cage.
Kent79

Post by Kent79 »

I definitely agree about not saying anything, I've been in a couple of these situations but it's definitely not worth it. I've now learnt to let it go, an idiot will always be an idiot.
700c

Post by 700c »

If you are confident in your abilities as a speaker and aggressiveness, I have found that confrontation is the only way to let these people know that driving a car does not mean they are invincible.

All this "say nothing" means that the driver just goes and does it again, and again.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup, I agree, best not exacerbate the situation. It might seem feeble, trouble is you really do not know who you are dealing with. Could really be a psychopath! Or a bloke who's just found his missus in bed with the milkman! Conflict is always scary, but, never worth being injured by some nutter to prove a point. Think of all the 'road rage' incidents between drivers that have ended in serious injury or worse, ain't worth it.
Always two sides to every story, reminds me of a friend of Mrs P, years ago, who kept getting involved in 'unjustified' road rage incidents. Always struck us as strange, until I drove with her one day, scared the **** out of me, all was then explained!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
san0

Post by san0 »

After a few days, I've finally let go, and calmed down. This is such a stressful situation, you want to say something, but best not to. Next time I will try to take middle earlier, although I did stick my arm out to say I'm moving right, but they just keep on overtaking me until last seconds! That's what frustrates me. I'm normally a quiet person, and don't defend myself well verbally. Even chatting to a few work colleagues (who don't cycle), they just say typical non-cyclist things like "the path is there, use it", the "tax debate", "cycling in the gutter" and cycling two abreast. All these crazy things that they have not experienced or researched. I hope that one day there will be a book written so I can just show the opposition what the responses should be for common stereotypical issues that motorists shout out.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I just ignore what motorists say. There's no point in letting them ruin my ride.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom