Level crossing RLJ

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Level crossing RLJ

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Flipping 'eck.

I'm not sure why the driver bothered with the emergency brake though, I mean you may as well wait until you've actually hit something with the braking distances involved.

I suspect he wouldn't know whether he'd hit until he'd stopped and checked.

Probably true...

I'd suggest the normal brakes would be equally effective then, without endangering anyone on the train with a hot cup of tea on the table (this assumes that trains still have seats and tables). There is *nothing* that driver can do to prevent or even mitigate any collision with the cyclist. The train company/network rail have already put barriers and lights up - Deer will ignore those, but a human should not.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The driver is responsible for the safety of the train, if he suspects he's hit something it's up to him to stop and check there's no damage etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

She has good brakes .................
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh good reverse too :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Utterly stupid (and very lucky) cyclist. When I learnt to cross the road as a child, I was taught to look first. When I worked for British Rail and frequently needed to walk across the railway, I was taught to look first. If there was a level crossing with barriers down, I knew a train was coming, so didn't cross.

A recent poster on pepipoo is a motorist who dodged round a car that was stopped for the lights at a crossing. The poster hasn't said whether the barriers were up or down. He stupidly argues that it wasn't dangerous because he knows how long it takes a train to arrive after the lights start.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

...and after being in such a hurry to tyr and get accross the LC she then turns around and goes back the way she came. Perhpas she suddenly realised she'd left her brain at home and went back to collect it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

broadway wrote:Nutters are quite capable of jumping barriers as a quick search on youtube will show.

Lastly giving the current compensation risk, do you blame NR for wanting to close barriers?

I blame the country for the current compensation risk.

I realise nutters are quite capable of jumping barriers, but very few bother - too much like effort, same as applying the brake at half-barriers - despite youtube searches.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Watching the cyclist's behaviour, it seems rather absent minded, as if she didn't realise she was riding past the barriers until she got to the tracks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mig

Post by mig »

she's got a hood up judging by the pictures? it could be possible that she was listening to music under there although this is entirely supposition - i just can't believe that she couldn't hear it coming even if her sight to the sides was affected by the hood. :shock:
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Reminds me of the Jeremy Clarkson comment regarding not stopping when a train has hit someone (LOL at the shocked faces) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Muj1Sb6uA
why exactly if the train is okay does it need to stop. Is the train driver a paramedic, are they the best person to see to the idiot they hit/just missed? Report it yes but stop the train and potentially inconvenience thousands upon thousands of people for the next couple of hours at least...sod 'em I say, they were stupid enough to dodge a barrier/throw themselves under/in front of a train they can drown in their own blood and guts...
broadway

Post by broadway »

mjr wrote:
broadway wrote:Nutters are quite capable of jumping barriers as a quick search on youtube will show.

Lastly giving the current compensation risk, do you blame NR for wanting to close barriers?

I blame the country for the current compensation risk.

I realise nutters are quite capable of jumping barriers, but very few bother - too much like effort, same as applying the brake at half-barriers - despite youtube searches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Y3Cp7owIQ

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/5269.aspx

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/le ... os-1349211
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Train drivers do not want to run people down and when they do hit a person they are usually no longer in a mental state to carry on the journey.
The people who drive trains do have feelings as do the "Nutters" who are desperate enough to use the train to end their suffering.

This woman was stupid to try and cross the tracks.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The railways are (fairly) safe places precisely because accidents are investigated and analyzed, and conclusions are drawn, and recommendations are followed.

When I was there, decades ago, I spent a couple of days drawing a plan showing the location of an accident -- a light locomotive had come off the tracks. No deaths or injuries, but someone could have been killed or injured so the accident was fully investigated to reduce the chances of happening again.

When a death occurs, they need to secure the scene to work out what happened and why. Driving the train away would remove essential evidence.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if there's a difference between something like a derailment and a death when somebody apparently puts themselves in front of a train. The reason I mention this is that afaik, the British Transport Police will allow trains to continue to run when there's a corpse on the track. I've no inside knowledge.