The funny thing about drivers...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dalifnei

The funny thing about drivers...

Post by dalifnei »

Cycling home tonight and a young man coming out of a sidestreet to my left didn't stop at the give way... looking right through me he shot straight over the line and stopped right in my path, waiting for a gap in the cars passing me. Panic stations, had to swerve around him.

And this is the funny thing - the driver on my right, in contrast to this guy, picked up on what was happening, and guessed I would have to swerve and gave me room, saving a bad situation.

Sometimes it just seems weird, you cant always second guess who will be good and who will be bad... Sadly have to assume everyone will be a bad driver.
661-Pete

Re: The funny thing about drivers...

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't think that's so unusual. When I'm driving along a narrow-ish single carriageway road and I see a cyclist coming towards me, closely followed by a car in a 'MGIF' posture, I do sometimes move over a bit to the left and cover the brake, in the anticipation that the approaching car driver will recklessly try it on. After all, if my caution saves a cyclist's life.....or my own... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Interesting, I do the opposite. I stray right, and cover the brake.

By visually narrowing the gap I hope to dissuade daft overtakes.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Interesting, I do the opposite. I stray right, and cover the brake.

By visually narrowing the gap I hope to dissuade daft overtakes.

Same here, by keeping left the MGIF car might see that as an invitation. I normally move right to show that there isn't enough room.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

The funny thing about cyclists is when I’m commuting home, there’s sometimes a cyclist who insists on overtaking me to claim a ‘scalp’.
He then rides up the inside of the line of traffic without slowing down much.

One of these days, he’s going to get ‘doored’.

Assume they're all bad cyclists.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

dalifnei wrote:
And this is the funny thing - the driver on my right, in contrast to this guy, picked up on what was happening, and guessed I would have to swerve and gave me room, saving a bad situation.

It might comfort you to think that. In truth he didn't see you and merely gave room because he thought the plonker emerging from the side street was going to hit HIM.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Last week while cycling into urmston, some pillock cut across from the opposite oncoming lane to park outside his (i assume) home. This lead to me slamming on the brakes and swerving around him to avoid a collision. As i shouted a few profanities at him he waved his arms about as if to plead innocence. Had the driver in the mini behind me not also braked like [rude word removed] i probably wouldn't be typing this.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

dalifnei wrote:......... you cant always second guess who will be good and who will be bad...

"Second guess" is american usage and means countermand (usually by someone not at the scene and who can't assess anything directly). Hence the word "second". If you mean guess just use that word alone. :?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

You only know that the driver approaching from the rear was a ‘bad’ driver when you wake up in hospital.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Ah, true, Ayesha. Hopefully to reduce the likelihood of that I always have a rear view mirror on my bike.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)