When I was at primary school (over 50 years ago, ahem) we sometimes had problems with rats. The classroom had an alcove at the end with a sink in it where we could wash out our paintboxes. Every so often the teacher would say, "Now children - that blue saucer with white powder under the sink is rat poison. Don't touch it or you will be very sick and probably die." None of us touched it - nobody died. We were 8-year-olds and rat poison was a normal feature of our lives, at home as well as at school.
Can you imagine that nowadays?!