banned with my bike from daughter's school

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Edwards

Re: banned with my bike from daughter's school

Post by Edwards »

As much as it may be annoying, remember that the Head Teacher is within her rights to ban bikes from school premises. You can ask for the Board of Governors to over turn her decision.

After all that remember that your daughter is going to be attending that school for some time. Do you think that the Head will like your actions? Are there any possible ramifications for your daughter?

When my son was at Junior School the head approached me and said he did not want me to leave our sons bike at the school during the day (he also cycled). So I just towed his bike home and took it back at the end of the school day.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

And so the war on cyclists enters a new phase.

There have been plenty of stories of children being banned from cycling to school ("It's too dangerous") and of course all the other H&S canards over the years (safety goggles for playing conkers, etc.). And I remember hearing a story about a school which banned the long-jump at Sports Day ("The sand pit may get dirty and be full of germs"). I've no doubt hockey sticks will have to be made of foam plastic, and cricket played with a tennis ball, before long...

But this is a new one to me. And utterly disgraceful. We've had postal workers banned from delivering by bike ("too dangerous" again). Now it's school parents. When is this Daily Heil-fuelled nonsense going to stop?

My gut reaction would be, move the child to another school. But that's hard on the child, if she has lots of friends at the current school. It's not her fault.

Perhaps writing to the Press would jog a few arms. And a write-up in CycleClips.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another point. This is a workplace: presumably it employs teachers and other staff. What happens if one of the staff wants to cycle to work? Is any cycle parking provided for them? Isn't there an obligation on employers to provide safe and secure accommodation for cycles, wherever practicable?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Just once, remove the pedals and or just the chain when outside the school, then scoot onto the school grounds as scooters are permitted. Or add a stabilizer to make it a trike.
rooseybear

Post by rooseybear »

The company for which I work was involved with the development/ redevelopment work on a number of schools in Havering, including Gidea Park (Although that was the only site I didnt visit and have no precise knowledge of). Every single meeting I attended over several years involved the Havering Borough Council representative turning up by bike...... even once the schools had opened :shock:

As a side note there were also numerous cycle stands installed (not sure of Gidea Park) at all sites, partially because they're required for BREAAM points (an way of placing environmental accreditation on developments) that most developers and clients want to be seen to score well in.

Just reread the OP and realise that there clearly are no cycle stands provided...... there's the proof that i wasnt involved with the school!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe you can lead the head to realise how silly how silly it is without making an enemy of her. Just ask some questions. Maybe email would be best so she think about it before replying.

First, I'm with those who suggest (politely) requesting a copy of the risk assessment. Then, also ask for clarification on various points.

Are all pedal cycles banned, or only adult pedal cycles? Shouldn't adults be able to be more responsible with their cycles than children? Does the school offer Bikeability, and what do the Bikeability instructors do with their bicycles?

Does the ban also include other pedal cycles, such as those ridden by delivery people? If so, how are delivery people to be informed?

Maybe you can think of some others.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

I would be much more concerned about people bringing dogs into the premises. They are unpredictable and have been known to kill children.
meic

Post by meic »

I think that unlike bikes they would be more dangerous left unattended outside the school gates where the children have to walk past.
Yma o Hyd
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

I don't have any wisdom, but I do wish you well with this, and would encourage you to battle on.
It seems a little bit of a power trip for the head.

Brucey mentioned a few days ago that he thought a unicycle isn't even a vehicle, and lo, the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic states that a cycle has at least two wheels, so get training!
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

As a parent yonks ago, I would take my bike into school grounds. There was never any opposition.

As a governor of several schools ,and chair of one school, I often took my bike into school grounds until I finished a few months ago.

Schools are encouraged to have bike racks today.
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

rooseybear wrote:The company for which I work was involved with the development/ redevelopment work on a number of schools in Havering, including Gidea Park (Although that was the only site I didnt visit and have no precise knowledge of).

Don't think it was Gidea Park PS - OP mentions infant school, whereas Gidea Park is infant and junior combined. Possibly Ardleigh Green?

Ours are at Gidea Park, and I have taken the bike + child trailer into the playground on several occasions, without any trouble.
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:Are other vehicles allowed in the school premises? or do all the cars have to unload their kids out on the street?

Is an unridden pedal cycle still a vehicle? I thought it wasn't and that was why you can push it along a footway even if it's not shared use.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:Another point. This is a workplace: presumably it employs teachers and other staff. What happens if one of the staff wants to cycle to work? Is any cycle parking provided for them? Isn't there an obligation on employers to provide safe and secure accommodation for cycles, wherever practicable?

The closest to an obligation to provide safe and secure accommodation for cycles is usually the Local Transport Plan policies used to help decide planning applications. Of course, the LTP is set by the highways authority, which is often the county council, which is the parent organisation of most schools... so by discouraging cycling, one part (albeit a semi-detached part) of the county council is probably contradicting another.

You could try to find if the county council's transport planning or strategic planning department has a School Travel Officer or Safe Routes To School Officer... but that will take a long time, so I'd probably be trying to get the newspapers interested first and probably leafletting other parents.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

Thank you for all your comments. Now I have received a letter from the headteacher stating: ""I am delighted that you choose to ride to school as we would always promote an alternative to cars. However we recognise (she made the spelling mistake-not me) that adult bicycles can be a health and safety risk to pupils.I am sorry that you find my request discriminatory- but please be assured that this is not the case- just a reasonable request as a result of my personal observations."
I have sent my written answer which included:
the school have no any designated area for bicyles, there is no bike rail, no bike shelter . To make a Health and Safety decision there needs to be a formal assessment of the risk.I have been doing school runs by bike for 15 months now- without causing disturbance or injuries to anyone. I have also invited her to maybe join me on a day cycling to school- setting a good example for other and to experience my issues regarding no bike storage/rail provided to safely dismount my daughter from her seat.I suggested in my email to bring this subject up at the next goverrnors meeting and maybe get involved in STP (school travel plan). Havering has 93 schools within the borough and the Council’s targetwas to get all HAVERING SCHOOLS involved by 2012- unfortunately one of the remaining schools without a Cycling Scheme is my daughter's school. I have finished my letter by saying
I wish we can work these issues out together with a very positive outcome- I am more than happy to leave my bike in a safe designated strictly for bicycles area with suitable bike railing and easy access-
I truly hope one day I won’t be just singled out as a safety risk with my bike, but instead being just a good example more parents and kids will join me (maybe even yourself) and hopefully in the near future there will be also some area to accommodate cyclists’ needs within the school grounds.
Yogactive

Post by Yogactive »

Here is the area where I dismount my daughter from the bike
Attachments