Swindon to Torrington (Devon)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LondonBikeCommuter

Swindon to Torrington (Devon)

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Looking for a possible route from Swindon to Torrington. Normally I let the Edge 810 take the strain of routing BUT my only knowledge of the Bath/Bristol area is one of mile after mile of straight UP followed by a short bit of down. Is this purely a routing issue or is my fully loaded tourer making me a pussy cat? ;)
seventeezlad

Re: Swindon to Torrington (Devon)

Post by seventeezlad »

Well I'd head down to the Kennet & Avon canal (aka route 4 ncn), perhaps joining it at Devizes, taking it to a few miles beyond Bath. It's a very pleasant/flat option. I'd suggest if possible undertaking this option during the week, it's a popular route with all users. In general the surface is pretty good, and certainly suitable for tyres of approx 28mm upward.

If you don't use the canal option for the first leg, it's fairly easy to cobble a route together using the lanes running parallel, and in my experience it's not to hilly.

Once beyond Bath, you're probably best to head directly towards Weston Super Mare (but not into) via the lanes through Pensford / Chew Magna, basically the north side of the Mendips. I'd say follow the coast from here, but as I'm sure you're aware, it's not all flat : )