Thinking about a fixed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dalifnei

Thinking about a fixed

Post by dalifnei »

Today when I was fixing the chain (again) when a very nice fellow on a fixed stopped to chat... and very highly recommended a fixed for commuting.

I'm not certain ... what do you think? Worries are not attaining the same speeds I can just now, and the very big hills near my house.

Would be very grateful for views on this! Am very tempted!

Thx all
gaz

Re: Thinking about a fixed

Post by gaz »

I try not to remember the day I tried to ride fixed ... it brings back the nightmares.

I have tremendous admiration for those who can ride fixed, I'm not one of them.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
dalifnei

Post by dalifnei »

Interesting! Wonder where I can borrow one from... maybe I should test it out before spending any money.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I tried it on my 15 mile round trip commute but given that I have a 30+mph descent going either way I ditched the idea after one ride and my knees took a week to forgive me.
daugs

Post by daugs »

I rode one when I was at college 25 years ago before they were trendy, it was flat, but where hilly which it was at home then a whole new ball game, you need to be fit and have strong legs and I'm still not convinced of their merits in London vs a single speed for commuting though I have been known to do a few laps of the Outer circle in Regents Park.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The mere fact that your 'nice fellow' thinks a fixed is the bee's knees, doesn't mean it'll work for you.

To my mind, a fixed is one of four things:
a) A track bike.
b) A fashion accessory.
c) A fad.
d) A penny farthing.
So which is it for you?

Take a deep breath and have a good long think before you throw your money about, and risk putting yourself off cycling for life.

Mind you, a fixie will stand you in very good stead regarding one or two Other Places I could mention... :evil:

If you're absolutely sure you want to, go ahead. Otherwise...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
dalifnei

Post by dalifnei »

This forum may have saved me!
Seemed like a good idea for low maintenance and I fancied that waiting at the lights holding the bike thing... but the main draw was the "your legs are the gears" being forced to get a bit fitter!!

... or maybe not
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

You might think about a single speed freewheel bike instead.
All the low to no maintenance benefits of a fixed (plus a very lightweight bike)
with none of the sore knees associated with back pedal braking.

The only servicing my SS gets is a bit of motor oil on the chain once a
month and blowing up the tyres.

Plus it only weighs 14.5lbs and I've lost a stone since I started riding it!

It can take anything the worst of a British winter throws at it and it has not
once let me down mechanically.

Ignore the naysayers. Gears and rim brakes in winter = hard times.And throwaway gears
and cassettes/chains come Springtime.

I ride a fixed with a front disc and it's an utterly bombproof combination.
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

I ride a 66" gear and there's very few hills I cannot easy conquer with it!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

dazza500 wrote:I ride a 66" gear and there's very few hills I cannot easy conquer with it!

I run 74.2" and there is only one hill on my commute where I have to get off and walk and that's because the hill is a one way street and I'm going the wrong way, on the climb of the other hill I'm in the top 25% according to Strava and I'm guessing those above me are on geared bikes.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Well i bought a fixie having always wanted one after one go about 30 years ago (ie the go was 30 years ago). Finally went for it 4 or 5 years ago - unfit , middle aged, hilly city (Bristol) and spend a grand on a Condor - daft buy written all over it.

I love it , riding it every day nearly and still haven't got round to fixing my "proper" bike, which needed fetling around when i got the fixie.

Single speed is neither one thing nor t'other in my view - just a geared bike with only 1 gear. The fixiness, once you've got the hang of it, and got the optimum cogs on it, is the real magic. Hard to explain, but has a "directness" which you just don't get with a freewhel. Don't think I'd want to tour the lake disctrict on it, but have done a couple of 30 to 40 mile trips - which would have been beyond me on any bike when i got it.

Recommended !
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

A lot of people buy flip flop wheels. Basically a fixed on one side and free on the other
such you can just flip about. It's an easier way to transition into fixed wheel
riding which some folk find intimidating.

I have four friends who are all bike shop owners and all ride single speed or
fixed October to March. These guys aren't daft!
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

There's a nice fixed/free for sale in the Bikes for Sale thread.
A proper classic British Claud Butler. Worth s look.
philg

Post by philg »

Don't be put off by the naysayers, who may or may not have ever tried one. A fixed makes a great commuter bike, not only for the low-maintenance but also for the excellent work-out you get over a short trip; and both your hill-climbing and pedal action will benefit. My commute is 18m each way in the Chilterns, and I use the fixed more times than gears. On a flatter commute it would be fixed always.

More to be found here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72585

Single speed is neither one thing nor t'other in my view - just a geared bike with only 1 gear. The fixiness, once you've got the hang of it, and got the optimum cogs on it, is the real magic. Hard to explain, but has a "directness" which you just don't get with a freewhel

+1
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
dazza500

Post by dazza500 »

+1 The naysayers probably threw their leg over a fixed 30 years ago do five minutes
And 'didn't like it'. More fool them!