Stopped by the Police! (doing cycle checks...)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jan19

Stopped by the Police! (doing cycle checks...)

Post by jan19 »

Well, its taken them over 50 years to catch me, but I finally got pulled over by the Police this morning.

I was almost at the end of a bus lane which runs for about half a mile. Just before the end (on the left) is a local college, and I could see a Police van parked outside it with several officers milling around. Somewhat to my surprise, one stepped into the road ahead of me and gestured for me to pull over. He explained that due to the number of recent fatalities involving cyclists (one in Croydon, which isn't very far away) they were spending the week randomly pulling up both cyclists and HGV drivers and talking to them about cyclists' safety on the road. I'd been picked simply because I was the first cyclist they'd seen (which I find a bit hard to believe but there you go, that's what he said. Maybe they'd only been there a couple of minutes).

Anyway, he looked at me and admitted as far as he could see I was as visible as I could be - high-viz jacket, reflective ankle bands, and bright lights both front and rear. Even my bike is a pale colour. I assured him I'm very well aware of the danger of riding up the left of traffic and always wait behind an HGV. He told me they would be running an awareness day on 6th December to which HGV drivers and cyclists were invited, hoping to give both an understanding of what the others see and how they behave. If I'm free, I think I may well go along - its not far from me.

Interestingly, after I'd ridden on, I was overtaken by three more cyclists. All were in black, none had any high-viz and although all had rear lights (they were in front of me before I noticed their front ones) all were a bit feeble. It wasn't actually dark, but its a pretty gloomy morning here.

Jan
ArMoRothair

Re: Stopped by the Police! (doing cycle checks...)

Post by ArMoRothair »

It seems you are not the only one viewtopic.php?f=41&t=81622

jan19 wrote:Interestingly, after I'd ridden on, I was overtaken by three more cyclists. All were in black, none had any high-viz and although all had rear lights (they were in front of me before I noticed their front ones) all were a bit feeble. It wasn't actually dark, but its a pretty gloomy morning here.

The coppers probably didn't notice these guys :)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I have noticed recently that a lot of cyclists winter gear seems to consist of entirely black.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Like everone, the police need some novelty in their job, it'le pass................

The police spend thousands if not more on public awareness schemes, one day a year, then spend the rest of the year ignoring the crimes that we see every day :?
They could do far worse than stand on a street corner and watch all the drivers on their mobiles.
Is it me or do all police cars spend all their time driving to somewhere else...................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Why is so much cycling clothing black or dark grey?
meic

Post by meic »

Probably for the same reason the cars are.
People like the colours.
Yma o Hyd
Ray

Post by Ray »

Aldi have apparently picked up on the trend - black/grey jackets from Thursday this week -
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... ng-jacket/
They do have reflective bits, but not much help in daytime. :?

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

jan19 wrote:he looked at me and admitted as far as he could see I was as visible as I could be - high-viz jacket, reflective ankle bands, and bright lights both front and rear

Lurid clothing is generally excellent at preventing cycling accidents because it discourages so many people from cycling altogether. I spoke to a Frenchman over here who said he didn't want to ride in this country because of the pressure to wear unusual attire, unlike in France; he drives a car here instead.
meic

Post by meic »

There is no shortage of cyclists in France wearing "the gear", just like here in the UK they are different types of cyclists, leisure and utility. Both exist in both countries (often the same people in different clothes). Though the "battlefields of London" may be dominated by leisure-styled commuters, happily I am hundreds of miles away from that life, literally as well as metaphorically.
Yma o Hyd
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Urticaria wrote:Lurid clothing is generally excellent at preventing cycling accidents because it discourages so many people from cycling altogether. I spoke to a Frenchman over here who said he didn't want to ride in this country because of the pressure to wear unusual attire, unlike in France; he drives a car here instead.

Someone is *that* worried about their appearance that they won't cycle and drive instead? Nah, don't buy it.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

Mark1978 wrote:
Urticaria wrote:Lurid clothing is generally excellent at preventing cycling accidents because it discourages so many people from cycling altogether. I spoke to a Frenchman over here who said he didn't want to ride in this country because of the pressure to wear unusual attire, unlike in France; he drives a car here instead.

Someone is *that* worried about their appearance that they won't cycle and drive instead? Nah, don't buy it.

I don't know, there's no shortage of people who wouldn't be seen dead in lycra or a hi viz vest. Also, if it means buying special clothes just for cycling, I can imagine that putting some commuter and leisure cyclists off
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Adam S wrote:I don't know, there's no shortage of people who wouldn't be seen dead in lycra or a hi viz vest. Also, if it means buying special clothes just for cycling, I can imagine that putting some commuter and leisure cyclists off

I must concede, I had my wife bring a change of clothes with her for me when I met her for Sunday lunch yesterday. As I figured queuing for the carvery wearing a hi-vis yellow shirt would attract comment.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

Didn't one of the fairly recent anti-cyclist newspaper articles posted on here claim that cyclists were to blame for wearing silly bright clothes which distracted motorists? :roll:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Adam S wrote:Didn't one of the fairly recent anti-cyclist newspaper articles posted on here claim that cyclists were to blame for wearing silly bright clothes which distracted motorists? :roll:

And another (no doubt) said cyclists were to blame for not wearing hi-vis clothes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mark1978 wrote:
Adam S wrote:Didn't one of the fairly recent anti-cyclist newspaper articles posted on here claim that cyclists were to blame for wearing silly bright clothes which distracted motorists? :roll:

And another (no doubt) said cyclists were to blame for not wearing hi-vis clothes.

Why another - probably the same article...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.