Oooh - I'm Cross

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisPAmbulance

Oooh - I'm Cross

Post by ChrisPAmbulance »

My blood is boiling. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x !!!!!

In the last 12 hours in my town, I've seen.

3 cyclists on a busy main road in darkness without lights

2 cyclists run red lights with no regard for anyone else around.

I tackled one of the latter, pointing out that they were giving the rest of us cyclists a bad name, but I just got a mouthful of abuse for my trouble.

We now have taxi drivers filming cyclist doing this. You can guess who the media will side with.

WHEN ARE THESE IDIOTS GOING TO STOP GIVING AMMUNITION TO THE ENEMY ?

The next time some bimbo decides its fun to force a (probably) law-abiding cyclist off the and have a laugh texting her mates about it, this is all the excuse they'll think they need.

These idiots are destroying our hobby/means of transport and putting our lives at risk. Isn't it about time we serious cyclists started to think serious;y about how we are going to tackle this.
LondonBikeCommuter

Re: Oooh - I'm Cross

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

I'm with you on this!
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

+2
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

Nowt you can do. Its life.

Just know that your a good rider and obey the laws.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Harold Shipman worked for the NHS, he also wore black lace up shoes

I wear black lace up shoes and work for the NHS, yet I am not a mass murderer

That is my opinion.... I will cycle and do so safely and with courtesy

I do not have any moral or any other responsibility for other cyclists
Kenn

Post by Kenn »

Over the last three weeks driving on the A381 during the evening rush hour (pitch dark, winding, narrow, lots of blind corners, steep banks on some blind corners so no escape to the sides) I have encountered a cyclist in dark clothes with no lights at all, a cyclist pushing a bike uphill on the road with no lights and several cyclists with dim lights that were only visible when very close. I only avoided the first of these because he had pedal reflectors which I saw at the last minute and the second had a highVis jacket. This road feels unsafe to ride in broad daylight and I won't ride it after dark even with high-power lights and night vision clothing. These are accidents waiting to happen and get the rest of us a bad reputation.
irc

Post by irc »

I'm so cwoss! I could scweem and sceem and scweem!
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

When I drive my car I don't feel any collective guilt when I see a fellow-motorist texting while driving; I just think 'moron'.

But I know what you mean about fellow-cyclists RLJ'ing and riding without lights.

I think it is changing. I have witnessed cyclists shouting after others who have jumped the lights. Peer pressure might just get us there.

Then all we'll have to do is instigate a national bike registration plate system, pay a token VED, and all the anti-cyclists' red herrings will be dealt with!
irc

Post by irc »

I think it is changing. I have witnessed cyclists shouting after others who have jumped the lights. Peer pressure might just get us there.

Then all we'll have to do is instigate a national bike registration plate system, pay a token VED, and all the anti-cyclists' red herrings will be dealt with!

Perhaps we could start with a few show trials. That should sort them out.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Much like the perception of a large chunk of society in this country that any cycling is dangerous, the statistics don't back it up. In research done for through DfT, no lights & dark clothing were each a contributory factor in low single figures percentage-wise of accidents. Similarly for RLJs. It may not be a good idea, be illegal (in the case of lights) & annoy folk but the danger seems to actually be quite small.

I am not responsible for other drivers who RLJ when I'm in the car (& I doubt other drivers would want to take responsibility for the misdemeanors of their fellows either) any more than I'm responsible for other cyclists.

Observations that have been done suggest similar numbers of car drivers RLJ compared to cyclists. Cyclists came out a bit higher but it is easier to nip round a car or cyclist that in front where in a car you have less choice if the vehicle in front stops. one of the 2 time I have been hit by a car (in over 36 years cycling) was when I stopped at lights & the car behind didn't, at least not before he'd wrecked my back wheel, so I have some sympathy with those who make a decision to RLJ for safety reasons.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
ian s

Post by ian s »

The RLJers annoy me, but not half as much as the ****s who insist on cycling on the pavement. We need as many cyclists on the road as we can get, so that we are noticed more.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ChrisPAmbulance wrote: Isn't it about time we serious cyclists started to think serious;y about how we are going to tackle this.

We already do. Sadly, just as with the Common Cold, there's no quick cure.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:Harold Shipman worked for the NHS, he also wore black lace up shoes

I wear black lace up shoes and work for the NHS, yet I am not a mass murderer

That is my opinion.... I will cycle and do so safely and with courtesy

I do not have any moral or any other responsibility for other cyclists

Spot on!

BTW I drive a car and see........... :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

irc wrote:

Perhaps we could start with a few show trials. That should sort them out.

And some public floggings :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jezer

Post by jezer »

ian s wrote:The RLJers annoy me, but not half as much as the ****s who insist on cycling on the pavement. We need as many cyclists on the road as we can get, so that we are noticed more.

So called cyclists on pavements are our worst enemy (except for young children). How will motorists appreciate us as proper road users unless we assume our rights as normal traffic? I don't know about London, as I've never cycled there, but in normal situations we should be able to ride on the roads just like other users. We all pay for the roads through our taxes, and we are therefore entitled to use them in the same way as anyone else :cry:
Power to the pedals