New offence of causing consternation to be introduced

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

Re: New offence of causing consternation to be introduced

Post by jezer »

Oh yes, totally unacceptable, like my comment to the Range Rover driver who often parks for several hours on the pedestrian area opposite my flat. Don't worry about the wheelchair users old chap. I'm sure they will cope in time. What a ****!
Power to the pedals
brizgazelle

Post by brizgazelle »

Cyclists in Bristol must have caused much consternation and so it is that the authorities are clamping down on these menaces. Apart from the new bicycle speed bumps in Ashton Court, the mayor of this fair city, one Mr George Ferguson, has green-lighted the BRT2 plan which will expropriate an old pedestrian and cycle thoroughfare and the green spaces it traverses in the south of the city, for a new 'traffic easing' bus route (Ferguson incidentally, made much gain in the mayoral elections by running on a ticket against the latter). Yep, 'first cycle city' Bristol really needs more HGV-class vehicles on its gridlocked streets.

Rant off/
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

jezer wrote:Oh yes, totally unacceptable, like my comment to the Range Rover driver who often parks for several hours on the pedestrian area opposite my flat. Don't worry about the wheelchair users old chap. I'm sure they will cope in time. What a ****!

Why do I guess that he hasn't actually left the road unblocked either - therefore not actually providing anyone with a benefit...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

We need some new offences to deal with these problems now that "being an incorrigible rogue" has been removed from the statutes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 00162.html
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

TonyR wrote:We need some new offences to deal with these problems now that "being an incorrigible rogue" has been removed from the statutes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 00162.html

Great news - but is it still illegal not to carry a bale of hay in your taxi?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

A sleight of hand though. They may have removed that law but they have zones a bit like ASBOs that exclude such people from hanging around where they will upset people who may have to look at them.

In Swansea it is famously referred to as "The Boot" because of its shape on the map.

I suppose the offence is "causing consternation to upstanding citizens".
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
andrewk wrote:Additional offences:
1. Driving badly and stopping in the middle of the carriageway - The minicab law.
2. Driving very slowly and dawdling at junctions - The granny law.
3. Cutting up other drivers, blocking box junctions, straddling two lanes, swearing, shouting and threatening others - The white van law.

The granny law should be replaced by the 'patience law' as some day younger people will be old and their reactions may not be quite as quick as they were,so the young must be taught to respect that!

The grandad law is already being enforced
I was once stopped for *driving slowly*
Very proud of that
Never been caught going too fast
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

byegad wrote:I'd like to add a few more offences to the list.

1. Being an arrogant so and so. To be known as the BMW law.
2. Unwarranted pollution. To be known as the 4x4 law.
3. Causing byegad's blood pressure to rise. To be known as the cretin law.

I foresee the last as a catch all for anyone who acts like an idiot.

Penalty for all the above to be compulsory crushing, of the car AND with owner inside.

Not sure you got the OP's intent. All of those are to become compulsory, surely? Except perhaps the last...
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

What about adding to the OP list; riding legally through traffic light controlled road works whilst maintaining a safe primary position?
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

At first glance I thought it said constipation.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
Username

Post by Username »

horizon wrote:A new offence of "Causing consternation to a motorist" is to be introduced next year. It will cover several things that are currently themselves illegal (like cycling across a junction while a traffic light is on red, riding furiously, cycling on the pavement, riding without lights at night) but will introduce an additional offence. It will also cover acts committed while cycling that are not illegal at present (and will remain so) but cause distress and consternation to motorists. These include riding two abreast, wearing black clothing, appearing very fit, reaching the end of a traffic jam quicker than a car, not paying road tax and not being insured. The seriousness of the offence and the amount of a fine will depend on the level of distress caused to motorists. Although road tax and insurance will not be compulsory for cyclists, the new offence will, according to government sources, recognise the effects that this has on innocent drivers. The concept of the "crimeless victim" will therefore replace that of the "victimless crime".

The Minister for Transport said yesterday that

"Cyclists have had it all their own way for too long. This new offence redresses the balance between long suffering motorists from hard working families and free-loading cyclists (many of whom are from EU countries) who are not paying anything at present to keep fit. Much of the burden of our creaking infrastructure falls on motorists stuck in traffic: knowing that everyone else has to suffer will go some way to alleviating the misery of traffic jams and parking problems."

Havn't heard of any new cycling laws, is there any planned changes I should be aware of?