Grumpy Old Bike Shop Owners

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nez

Re: Grumpy Old Bike Shop Owners

Post by nez »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Perhaps they turn into grumpy owners when they don't make any money? :-)

Hi Phil, I think the point is they both can, have and will make money from me and people like me over the years. That's the reason for them giving good service and being pleasant to deal with
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Was the Rotherham Bike Shop in question in Wellgate or at Whiston Cross roads ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Perhaps they turn into grumpy owners when they don't make any money? :-)

Hi Phil, I think the point is they both can, have and will make money from me and people like me over the years. That's the reason for them giving good service and being pleasant to deal with

I hope you're right, although having seen what some of our LBSs charge, I honestly can't see how they can :-(
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

landsurfer wrote:Was the Rotherham Bike Shop in question in Wellgate or at Whiston Cross roads ?

Whiston Cross roads?
There used to be one just off Worrygoose Roundabout has it moved to Whiston cross roads?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ibbo68 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Was the Rotherham Bike Shop in question in Wellgate or at Whiston Cross roads ?

Whiston Cross roads?
There used to be one just off Worrygoose Roundabout has it moved to Whiston cross roads?

Worry goose roundabout it is .... doh !
He's quite good with wheel repairs.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

My LBS, broadly speaking, doesn't service/repair bikes it hasn't sold. That's because their repair/service is always very busy, and they say they don't want to provide a slower service for regular customers who have bought bikes there. Also they know they have or can get any necessary parts for bikes they built- they can't stock/get parts for everything. That seems fair enough to me. When my brother came to live with us, he brought his bike with him. They were willing to take that one on because they did our bikes, and his had been built using parts they used themselves. I also know that someone who had a breakdown on a local fun ride went in, nothing to do with them at all, and they fixed it for her on the spot so she could continue. So they are flexible when they can be. Seems fair enough to me. When OH was doing work on his own bike and needed to use a tool he hadn't got to loosen a jammed part, they just did it for him. No charge.

I buy stuff there I could get cheaper elsewhere -like on the web. But the advice they give me when I need it is more than worth the difference. And they are there when I need them, like when I had an accident and damaged my derailleur- took it in, they had it fixed in a day. That's priceless.