What roads are you comfortable on?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

What type of roads are you comfortable cycling on?

I would cycle on the motorways if it was legal!
8%
Any A roads are A good, direct route to where I want to go.
28%
Quieter A roads without slip roads, etc. are fine.
32%
B and below is where I'm comfortable.
25%
I go out of my way to stay on tiny roads.
6%
If it has cars, no thanks. Strictly off road for me!
No votes
Traffic speed is more important than volume. The slower the better.
2%

Total votes: 53

Sares

What roads are you comfortable on?

Post by Sares »

I was trying to find a new way to work, and part of it was great, but the other part involved crossing 2 large dual carriageway A-roads, near Birmingham. To add to the difficulty, they are A-roads with slip roads in places, and one of the roundabouts is set up a bit strangely. They're the type of urban fast (70mph+) roads that have no pedestrian crossings, and are 100% designed for motor vehicles. I just don't enjoy them, nor really feel comfortable on them, since they require one to do things that motorists often won't really let you do on a bike, like ride in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway, even if you are turning right.

So I wanted to find out where the comfort zone lies for people on this board. Please indicate the busiest/largest road on which you are comfortable riding, and any comments are welcome too (such as if you love A roads and are petrified of country lanes).

Thanks!
drossall

Post by drossall »

I have answered "Any A roads", but actually it is traffic levels that I think about most. I raced on the A10 the other year and it was great, no problem, in spite of slip roads.

A good example is a trip I have done up to Skegness a couple of times. It includes the A1073 from Crowland to Boston, one of the most horrible roads I know. The problem is not so much traffic levels (which are medium), and definitely not slip roads (this is a single carriageway). It's that the road width is just enough to invite overtaking a bike and to make it difficult to discourage this in the face of oncoming traffic. I'd rather ride on a dual carriageway any day.

In some ways it would be a safer road if there were more traffic - because levels are intermediate, cars and lorries come up behind you at speed. If there were a constant stream, and therefore fewer gaps in the traffic, one car slowing to overtake you would also slow the rest.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

time of day has a strong influence. I know roads of all types round here where traffic is extremely intimidating between 7.30-8.30 and 17.00-18.00 but can be ok at other times
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'll cycle on any road I can get on. Motorways are probably safer than Trunk Roads - at least there's a hard shoulder!

My preference is to get all motorised traffic off the roads completely. But, back in the real world ..... we have to live with cars and lorries and busses, so keep onto quieter roads if possible. Sometimes the busier roads are better for getting you from A to B, use them, but take the initiative and throw your weight around, make your presence felt by taking the Primary Position.

All roads are made for all vehicles.
Mick F. Cornwall
mhara

Post by mhara »

Weren't the first roads mostly for walking on?

Drover's roads for getting animals to market. Roman roads to march armies around. Horses and carts used them too.

I wouldn't say that all roads belong to all vehicles, because IMHO the original users of the roads (people walking) have been utterly marginalised.

I was walking round the unclassified roads (country lanes really) of North Devon last week - so were a lot of other walkers - and the cars/vans went whizzing by as if vulnerable human beings were just so many thistles in the hedgerow. OK, exaggeration. Some cars slowed down.

We have to find a way of persuading all drivers to use speeds appropriate for the roads they're travelling on. But how :? ???
diapason

Post by diapason »

I'll ride on any roads if necessary. I use a busy A-road with fast roundabouts, lanes and slip roads on my commute - simply because it's direct. For preference though, I prefer quiet country lanes..

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
diapason

Post by diapason »

My idea to reduce speeding:

To have five classes of road with different speed limits applicable to each:-

1) Motorway - 70 mph as now - no bikes, pedestrains etc
2) A road - 60 mph including dual carriageways
3) B road - 50 mph
4) C road - wide enough for two average cars to pass - speed limit 40 mph unless a lower limit is posted
5) D road - lane with insufficient width for two average cars to pass - say 8' - speed limit 20 mph and bikes, horses and pedestrians to have automatic priority.

Enforcement:

Roadside or road imbedded transmitters to transmit speed limit reminders to mandatory head-up display units in cars.

Each driver to have a PIN number and fingerprint recognition device to identify who is driving at any one time.

The units to sound a warning if the speed limit is exceeded. If the limit is exceeded for more than one minute or by more than 20 mph, the car engine to be immobilised and not to restart for ten minutes.

At the third immobilisation by the same driver, the car can only be restarted after being reset by an approved garage and a fine paid.

If a further three infringements occur, the driver is automatically summoned to Court and an automatic driving ban imposed.

Thoughts?

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
drossall

Post by drossall »

Nice idea although scary if the cars that had just overtaken you on the motorway started conking out.
diapason

Post by diapason »

They'd need an alarm to sound to give the driver 30 seconds to pull over.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
drossall

Post by drossall »

Although if there happened to be a truck to the driver's left...
diapason

Post by diapason »

Flippant on//

serve the barsteward right for speeding

//flippant off
Advena ego sum in Terra
PW

Post by PW »

Buses have mandatory speed limiters, why not everyone else?
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I'm all for it, but pigs are fed ready to fly.

I'll use big "A" roads when necessary. In the city centre I use all roads. The roads I don't like are the "A" and "B" roads where there is only enough room for one car or one lorry on each side of the road, with no room for overtaking without going over the white line.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, same as my experience with the A1073.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PW wrote:Buses have mandatory speed limiters, why not everyone else?

Good idea, PW.

Actually, busses, and other vans and stuff soon, will all have limiters. Trouble is, the speed is only limited at the max of 60mph. No effect whatsoever at 30, 40, 50.
Mick F. Cornwall