Fed up getting abuse from other roas users

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jughead

Fed up getting abuse from other roas users

Postby Jughead » 15 Jan 2014, 8:32pm

EVERY time I'm out I have a run in with other road users. I consider myself to be an accomodating and safe cyclist but no matter how well I cycle. I constantly have run ins with impatient and selfish vehicle users. I've been part of POP and written to MP's but you know something. I am running out of patience with empty words from MP's and all the rest. I applaud all the various protests like 'Stop Killing Cyclists' but they are not helping me cycle safely. We need to get more in their face, more militant. Why don't we as cyclists ride in the middle of the road until they start providing proper segregated cycling? We aint getting anywhere fast with the current set up. WE need to make them take action. I'm afraid we need to be huge pains in the proverbial before they listen.

Mark1978

Re: Fed up getting abuse from other roas users

Postby Mark1978 » 15 Jan 2014, 8:42pm

Where are you riding?

Alan Withers

Postby Alan Withers » 15 Jan 2014, 9:24pm

Down the centre of the road?

Jughead

Postby Jughead » 15 Jan 2014, 9:40pm

Commuting from Motherwell to Glasgow.. No cycle paths on my route. However there is a cycle path which is a nonsense if I want to get to work on time. From now on. I'm cycling as far out as I dare. It would be better to have the CTC or other cyclists (much better) behind me. I'm fed up with impatient and inconsiderate road users. We need to make a stand. We need to do it together.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 15 Jan 2014, 9:40pm

What's a roas?
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Jughead

Postby Jughead » 15 Jan 2014, 9:51pm

Audax67 wrote:What's a roas?

It's Scots for road :D

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 16 Jan 2014, 3:29pm

Jughead wrote:We need to get more in their face, more militant. Why don't we as cyclists ride in the middle of the road until they start providing proper segregated cycling?

Been and continues to be done. It's called critical mass and so far has managed to acheive the following....diddly squat. Unless you count the irritated residents of the affected area or the odd enraged driver who on more than one occasion has lost their temper and deliberately ran down participating cyclists.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 16 Jan 2014, 4:18pm

Jughead wrote:Commuting from Motherwell to Glasgow.. No cycle paths on my route. However there is a cycle path which is a nonsense if I want to get to work on time. From now on. I'm cycling as far out as I dare. It would be better to have the CTC or other cyclists (much better) behind me. I'm fed up with impatient and inconsiderate road users. We need to make a stand. We need to do it together.

How far is that?

For reference the left hand tyre track (as left by the motons) is as far left as I would consider cycling in most situations...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 16 Jan 2014, 4:23pm

Not more middle of the road cycling policies :wink:

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 16 Jan 2014, 4:32pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:For reference the left hand tyre track (as left by the motons) is as far left as I would consider cycling in most situations...

Same here, and I feel quite vulnerable if further left than that. However I see any number out cycling much to the left of that, often so far left they're at risk of hitting the curb.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 16 Jan 2014, 5:35pm

Yes, I see it all the time.
They really don't understand. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall

Coffee

Postby Coffee » 16 Jan 2014, 11:00pm

I think it would do wonders for car/cycle/lorry relations if they brought back those old info films that they used to have, you know, green cross code, get yourself seen, belt up.
But with the newer cycling information, so motorists don't take cycling further out as a personal insult/arrogant cyclist. We could have better education on how HGV's see the road/take corners.
Lets face it, most people haven't looked at a Highway code since passing their test so would have no idea how things have moved on, tv is the best way to reach people, that or on all booze/fag wrappers!
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.

AndyBSG

Postby AndyBSG » 17 Jan 2014, 6:38am

Here's an example of cyclist abuse at it's finest

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/16/video-hun ... c-4266398/

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 17 Jan 2014, 7:33am

Not sure what traffic was behind them, but if there was any, that should be considered as attempted murder, which I believe should carry the same sentence as murder.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 17 Jan 2014, 8:29am

The frustrating thing is that for every driver / motorbiker who 'acts out' there are another hundred who are thinking the same thing and are liable to do the same given the circumstances. It's always shocking when you view cycling topics outside the 'safety' of cycling forums just how much raw anger and hostility there is towards cycling in this country.