No surprise here then ....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Geriatrix

Re: No surprise here then ....

Post by Geriatrix »

On the more mundane speeds, here is a RoadPeace analysis of 30mph enforcement:
http://www.roadpeace.org/resources/RoadPeace_analysis_MPS_30mph_enforcement.pdf
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bicycler wrote:Some people will exceed the safe speed of any road if they are able to do so. On a twisty single carriageway A-road that safe speed will be much lower so you wouldn't get the headline massive speed that you get on these featureless roads. On the other hand, all of the country's '10 deadliest roads' are those same major old single carriageway main roads http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 01269.html . So from a purely road safety perspective a NSL modern dual carriageway is preferable even if it allows higher speeds

Where we lose the older roads underneath the faster, apparently safer new roads, that to me is too high a price to pay for avoiding the implementation of measures that would make ordinary roads much safer. Where we build new roads alongside the old ones, we are creating a mode of travel and perhaps of life that holds no interest to me. Whatever problems are created on these roads I leave the police and others to deal with - their problem not mine. The A19 appears to be a mixture of both so in effect making a continuous journey along the road unpleasant, even if you managed from time to time to rejoin the old road so it's a double whammy.

From a purely road safety perspective, new roads may be better (it would astonishing if they weren't). From nearly every other perspective (except that of allowing people to drive fast) they may not be. For me, it's really like commenting upon the morality of footballers: it's a way of life alien to most of us and utterly uninteresting. The same with new roads: an unpleasant way of passing life's precious hours. What immoral acts other people commmit on these roads is something that belongs to a way of life that I believe to be antagonistic to our human and social needs. I may be in a minority of one on this forum with such views but there are quite a few others who think the same. Locked, isolated in a metal, glass and plastic box travelling through a denatured landscape is to me a strange way to live one's life and embrace the future. Strangely it has become normality.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

honesty wrote:I believe its only "bicycles" banded from motorways. No mention of trikes at all. ;)

No; motorways are different from all other roads in that all traffic is banned except those specifically permitted.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mark1978 wrote: ...No; motorways are different from all other roads in that all traffic is banned except those specifically permitted.
To be precise, for "motorways" read "special roads." Although the two terms are almost completely interchangeable, it's not inevitably so. Afaik, The A55 in North Wales is a special road (we've had at least one thread about it, and there may be others.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

thirdcrank wrote:
Mark1978 wrote: ...No; motorways are different from all other roads in that all traffic is banned except those specifically permitted.
To be precise, for "motorways" read "special roads." Although the two terms are almost completely interchangeable, it's not inevitably so. Afaik, The A55 in North Wales is a special road (we've had at least one thread about it, and there may be others.

A1 Haddington to Dunbar too. Interestingly this has to be signposted as 70mph because there is no defined speed limit for a non-motorway special road so an NSL sign would literally mean no speed limit.
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

cycleruk wrote:The A19 has always been a fast road. I used it a few times back in the late 70s and it was fast then.
But the main reason for that speed are the two cars being used. A Subaru Impreza and a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.
Both ex-super rallie cars capable of upto 160mph. The trouble now is second-hand prices are within the pockets of "boy racers" who have to prove themselves.

The front car is a Ford Focus RS not an Impreza. Still a quick car though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What surprised me in the OP's link was that there was no mention of a fine,they were both banned for 3 years and given 300 hours community service but no fine.
IMHO the best punishment for these would have been to see their pride and joy crushed in front of them and after their bans were served a bothto resit their test and be limited to a 60bhp 1.0ltr vehicle for a further 3 years,
But then I always was a cruel git :)

BTW how do young men of that age(particularly the 21 year old) afford such cars not to mention insure them?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:BTW how do young men of that age(particularly the 21 year old) afford such cars not to mention insure them?

There are several possibilities...

-they live with parents and consequently have a fair amount of disposable income
-parents bought them
-good jobs & high priorities on cars
-bought the cars used, even in non-running condition and fixed them up

One of my neighbor's kids a couple of years ago had a BMW 3 series because he bought one with a blown engine and rebuilt it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:BTW how do young men of that age(particularly the 21 year old) afford such cars not to mention insure them?

There are several possibilities...

-they live with parents and consequently have a fair amount of disposable income
-parents bought them
-good jobs & high priorities on cars
-bought the cars used, even in non-running condition and fixed them up

One of my neighbor's kids a couple of years ago had a BMW 3 series because he bought one with a blown engine and rebuilt it.

I would imagine such cars would cost a fair few thousand just insure,particularly for the 21 year old even with four years no claims bonus.
He'd need quite abit of disposable cash to run one of those things or parents who are completely loopie :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden