Any runners out there?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mark a.

Re: Any runners out there?

Post by mark a. »

It's not a contest between running and cycling.

I run occasionally, always off-road. It's more interesting and prettier than on-road for me. The best thing is that it's so quick and easy to do. Put on shorts, top and shoes and head out of the door. For cycling I have to get the bike out of the shed, make sure I've got the right kit, check tyre pressures and chain... It always takes me ages!

I ran this morning, in the rain, calf-deep in puddles. Only 2km or so, but good fun for a quick blast to wake me up.
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

An 8 mile run after work, followed by the 18 mile drive home, is not unusual for me. I'd much rather spend the same time cycling home, but unfortunately I often need to have my car at work. Also the early start for cycling in, is less appealing than the ride home. Great to enjoy both kinds of exercise, but if I could only have one it would be the cycling.
Lucyhan

Post by Lucyhan »

The one and only negative with cycling is that it is difficult to do in inclement weather. Running you can do in most weathers, its cheap, quick, keeps you fit and you can do it in the fresh air, or rain. I cannot recommend Parkrun.com highly enough on those cold Saturday mornings when you would rather be cycling but the weather is not good enough. Check out the website!!
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

Agree, but I don't like 5k, it's too much of a dash. I prefer 10k. Did 14k this morning, not nice out there but definitely preferable to being on a bike in that wind! But it's not a competition between cycling and running. I'd much rather cycle where possible, but in these winter months running is a great way of maintaining your fitness.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

patpalloon wrote:Agree, but I don't like 5k, it's too much of a dash. I prefer 10k. Did 14k this morning, not nice out there but definitely preferable to being on a bike in that wind! But it's not a competition between cycling and running. I'd much rather cycle where possible, but in these winter months running is a great way of maintaining your fitness.

I hate 5k's, I'm not too fond of 10k's for much the same reason either. Half marathon is my preferred distance, long enough to get into a comfortable stride but not so long that it needs training for.
(Having said that I've started doing the park runs on a Saturday in an attempt to get some speed work in.)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think there more Crapp on the internet about Heel S*&^%e than how much air to put in your tyres.

Its a fact that the worlds fastest runners 800M and up run on there heels.
You will find that forefoot or midfoot running (landing on) for the same speed as heel runners needs more effort and thus you will never get faster just grind yourself into the tarmac. Mostly through bending your knees, a bit like riding your bike with no saddle :?

It might be said that more injuries come from heel runners but of course they are running faster anyway, and alot further than your jogger.
You dont walk on the midfoot or forefoot so why run like that :?:

I could explain why not to do the non heel S*&%$e way but would you listen :?:

Fact most people run on their forefoot / midfoot because they have stiff calfs, and continueing that trend only makes your calfs stiffer till you stop.
Modern life sitting on the sofa for too long shortens your calfs and ham string which you need for walking running and cycling with ease.

Calfs and hams are "Biarticular" they cross two joints, so if you land on anything other than your heel, the calfs will have to support all that body weight, and in doing so transfer weight up to the higher leg, your quads, thats why joggers get slower and slower....................good luck.
The reason why cyclist like runners dont have big calfs is because you hold your foot in one position when you cycle and the power is transferred through it WITHOUT moving it. same in walking same in running.

How to spot a typical gym goer.....over developed calfs......why.............
Calfs is what will hurt with non heel running, knee pain :?: along with pains up your shins as the small muscle (to lift your toes ONLY) fights the stiff calfs.

To run easily you need to Roll your feet as soon as you foot lands on the floor.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I think there more Crapp on the internet about Heel S*&^%e than how much air to put in your tyres.

That's because there's a huge difference between sprinting and long distance running.

It's actually pretty easy, your foot lands underneath your body. I don't have achy calves nor do I have huge calves (even for a cyclist :wink: ).
I've watched enough runners come, injure themselves and give up along with their running techniques to see where they're going wrong.

You start from a fairly simple assumption: "We're designed to run and we're designed to run barefoot."
Once you accept that and actually try it the first thing you find is that you can't heel strike - it hurts! You'll also find that you'll naturally progress to 'touching down' directly under your body and this doesn't involve your heels nor does it involve overuse of your calves.

That's pretty much it, nothing more complex is needed.
Vaya

Post by Vaya »

Hi everyone,

Going to start running. I cycle a lot but have never ran before in my life.

Any tips/suggestions for a complete novice? Will be mainly running off road as I live on a farm.

The eventual aim, if I can even run, is to be able to do 2.4km in under 11 minutes as that is part of the physical entrance course for Officer Training in the RAF. Is this realistic or just a pipe dream?

Any advice appreciated.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vaya wrote:Hi everyone,

Going to start running. I cycle a lot but have never ran before in my life.

Any tips/suggestions for a complete novice? Will be mainly running off road as I live on a farm.

The eventual aim, if I can even run, is to be able to do 2.4km in under 11 minutes as that is part of the physical entrance course for Officer Training in the RAF. Is this realistic or just a pipe dream?

Any advice appreciated.

Don't overdo it.

Too many people start running and up the mileage too quickly with the result they injure themselves. In some ways it'll be worse because you'll be coming into it with a degree of fitness from the cycling so you'll find it easier to overdo it than someone who starts off unfit.

Do the usual run & walk for around 5k and slowly build up the amount of running and reduce the amount of walking. Follow one of the many 'couch to 5k' programs and don't push harder just because you can...

The time and distance you're after should be easily attainable (especially if you're young.)
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I'd second that, my 17 year old son wants to run to build up stamina for taekwondo, we've been doing around 4 km and because he's running with me we run and chat and it he's been taking it easy and he hasn't had any aches at all, we are just getting around to moving up, so either we'll increase the distance or we'll do the same distance with sprint intervals (boy do I hate those)
RickH

Post by RickH »

I trained for & run the Manchester 10k & the Great North half marathon in 2006 followed by the Edinburgh marathon in 2007 (I got a guaranteed place for finishing the Great North & it was only twice as far...! :D ).

Personally I would say that, from a base of nothing - I'd not run for years (& I hadn't cycling much for about 5 years at the time either) - it is actually getting to do the first straight mile or so that is the hardest bit. Once you can do a steady 3 miles without suffering it is really just a matter of gradually building up the mileage. My advice would be to find a training schedule for the distance you are aiming for and use that as a guide (for example the Edinburgh Marathon site has 10k, 1/2 marathon & marathon training guides). If you want to do an event, try to have a week or two in hand so you have space for a bad week. You can always repeat one (or more) of the later weeks if you find you have extra training time in hand. People say that running wrecks your knees but I found mine were a lot better after all that running, probably because they were a lot stronger.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

I also find running is better for my knees than cycling. I was getting quite a few injuries when I started running, mainly calf tears. Build it up gradually as the others say.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
Vaya

Post by Vaya »

Thanks for the advice comments. Went out for my very first run this morning, walked quickly to warm up then ran for as long as I could and continued walking in between running.

Overall it was not as bad as I was expecting. Will try again tomorrow morning.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Vaya wrote:Will try again tomorrow morning.

Well done. But beware; often the first run is ok, but tomorrow morning and the day after is when the muscles really stiffen and ache. This is uncomfortable and can easily lead to injury.

So many people start off enthusiastically, but injure themselves very quickly. So don't be in a rush. Perhaps wait 2 or 3 days before your next run. Stay slow, stay short and just get used to the action of running. Once your body is used to it and technique improves, then you can run further or more often.

When I first started to run I would get all kinds of weird discomfort I didn't expect. Obviously there's tired legs, stitch etc, but also a sore shoulder, tight chest, stiff neck. These were caused by my body not used to it and bad technique.
Vaya

Post by Vaya »

Thanks.

Will so how I feel tomorrow, not planning on doing it everyday - I just wanted to see if today was a fluke!

May just go for a cycle instead, that should be ok?