Two cyclists killed, driver arrested

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Two cyclists killed, driver arrested

Post by TonyR »

Another tragic double death reported last night with the BMW driver involved arrested. :( The wording is very opaque and implies there was more to it than a collision.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-26184164
eileithyia

Re: Two cyclists killed, driver arrested

Post by eileithyia »

Ouch! Thoughts with the families and friends.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

eileithyia wrote:Ouch! Thoughts with the families and friends.

+1

Police have arrested the driver reported themselves to the IPCC.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

Just read that this morning.

From the wording it seems the police were pursuing the BMW in question when it hit the cyclists.
Pugwash

Post by Pugwash »

it sounds like there is more to this than is written, the salient fact is two people who woke up yesterday will not be waking up this morning.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of those killed, for a community already struggling with the flooding this is just awful. I hope the police and CPS bring the full force of the law as is necessary.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

RIP Condolances to both family's and friends
StellaLdn.

Post by StellaLdn. »

So tragic and unnecessary. My thoughts are with the family and friends. That driver must have literally run them over. (profanity of your choice.)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
-- Confucius

http://theviscountaffect.blogspot.co.uk/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TonyR wrote: The wording is very opaque and implies there was more to it than a collision. ...

Yes. The loss of human life is immeasurably more important than any other issues, but it's natural to want to know something about what happened. Unfortunately, everybody in authority is so concerned not to say anything "wrong" that this caution takes on the air of a cover up.

IMO, one sad aspect is that if two people had been shot, as a society, we'd probably have regarded it as much worse than their being killed in a road "accident/incident" or call it what you will.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

thirdcrank wrote:
TonyR wrote: The wording is very opaque and implies there was more to it than a collision. ...

Yes. The loss of human life is immeasurably more important than any other issues, but it's natural to want to know something about what happened. Unfortunately, everybody in authority is so concerned not to say anything "wrong" that this caution takes on the air of a cover up.

IMO, one sad aspect is that if two people had been shot, as a society, we'd probably have regarded it as much worse than their being killed in a road "accident/incident" or call it what you will.

If two people were shot, it would have been deliberate and murder.
There are exceptions however, as in the Birmingham gangland shooting incident years ago. Two girls walked unintentionally into the line of fire.

This is where the cyclists were in the wrong place at the wrong time, just like the two girls in Brum.

My condolencies.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Not another one :(

about time that killers like this have to work for the family they killed for the rest of their lives to support them as a penance. A short time in prison too good.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

A terrible tragedy, and a nightmare scenario against which the cyclist - or any other vulnerable road user - is powerless.
Assuming this was a police chase, I have strong thoughts about that topic as well, but perhaps it's best to put them in a separate thread.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

This isn't going to be a popular post but oh well....

So a report of 'fear for welfare' now gets blues and twos and a high speed pursuit? What does 'fear for welfare' mean exactly?

I hope it is more than just a bit of a scuffle because unless it is a direct threat of life then to me a high speed pursuit would seem overtly over the top when there is a huge risk of endangering others by taking such action which further increases any risks the assailents may have taken in the first instance without the police upping the ante..

it sickens me when I watch these 'celebrity' cops chasing a couple of lads on a moped/cross bike in their own locality whom whilst they are breaking the law and being a bit of a nuisance are extremely unlikely to harm anyone (any more so than insured/licensed motorists whom seem to kill 10 TIMES as many as uninsured/untraced)..until in comes PC Scothern (other celebrity cops are available) and his mob and take off at high speed to chase down these heinous offenders. There then follows helicopters and other vehicles increasing the chasing party and the scallywags go into flight mode taking more and more chances to get away..it's at this point that the risks to the general public are VASTLY increased.
It looks pretty clear to me and others that from the police footage alone the chances the police take for relatively low level crimes vastly outweighs the safety of the public...

I really hope there is some sound and proper justification for the pursuit, because two poor sods have had their lives exstinguished as a result of that pursuit, with no one chasing they would be still alive, I'm pretty sure of that.

RIP
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tonyf33 wrote:I really hope there is some sound and proper justification for the pursuit, because two poor sods have had their lives exstinguished as a result of that pursuit, with no one chasing they would be still alive, I'm pretty sure of that.

RIP

The basic benefit of pursuits isn't in the individual pursuits, it's in the idea that the police will be willing to try to catch you and thus act as a deterrent to others.
I guess you have to decide whether you want the roads policed or not (or rather less policed than the minimum they are at the moment).

As sad as this case is, fortunately it's pretty rare and I'd suggest somewhat rarer than your typical joyrider taking people out. In my opinion I fail to see how the police simply giving up every time some scally floors the throttle will improve road safety.
(There's also the assumption he was being chased, that's by no means certain).
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

But that's the problem though isn't it..there doesn't seem to me that there is much in the way of a deterrant (of being pursued). People will either pull over at the earliest signs of indication by the police or they won't. There's two distinct camps, the first lot (the vast majority) wouldn't even think of driving away from the police. So the notion that a pursuit is some form of deterrant doesn't hold true IMO.

As for wanting the roads to be policed, yes of course I do, that goes without saying, but there absolutely has to be judgements made on what risks should be taken for certain levels of offences, a lack of visible policing and the police attitude to vulnerable road users when they are threatened and/or harmed is also part of of the problem.

When you say rare can you be more specific, the only article I saw was a few years back and in that it warned of the use of police pursuits and the disastrous effects. At the time of printing 'in pursuit' deaths were 26 for that year plus another 6 deaths by the police themselves on the way to 999 calls.. I'd hardly call 31 lives lost in one year that 'rare' tbh, would you?
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 14 Feb 2014, 6:55pm, edited 1 time in total.