New Mirror

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Norman H

New Mirror

Post by Norman H »

I visited the cycle show at London Excel today and very nearly bought one these.

http://www.rearviz.com/
horizon

Re: New Mirror

Post by horizon »

Is that because it is a mirror or because it is a better mirror than the one you have? And why didn't you buy it?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I would find the strap round my arm really irritating. This winter I briefly tried fixing a small red light to my right arm with a velcro strap. It was very light weight and initially comfortable but I could feel my arm getting sweaty underneath the strap.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Is that because it is a mirror or because it is a better mirror than the one you have? And why didn't you buy it?

I thought they were rather a good idea but don’t know how well they would work in practice. One advantage of mounting the mirror on the person is that it lessens the vibration. In the end I decided I didn't really need another mirror.
Apparently they've just launched in UK. They were on special show offer £15 and £20 for the deluxe version
prando

Post by prando »

I would not be without my little mirror that plugs into the end of the drops. (Circa £5) Safety determines that you sometimes need to double check with a look around, but invaluable IMO.
Slidingpillar

Post by Slidingpillar »

Gimmick of limited value. What you see in the mirror will vary with hand position, so anyone using drops (as per the web site) would be forever moving it about. Bar end mirror is still going to be better.
Trice Q
Longstaff Trike
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Slidingpillar wrote:Gimmick of limited value. What you see in the mirror will vary with hand position, so anyone using drops (as per the web site) would be forever moving it about. Bar end mirror is still going to be better.

I agree.
I use and can thoroughly recommend the Cateye BM300G,which fits into the bar end(drops or straights).It's the simplest and most effective mirror I've seen so far.
It folds up when the bike is stored or parked,brilliant,simple design and almost unbreakable,and costs £6 :) .
I have six in use(one on each bike) and one spare that I take with me when touring just in case,total cost £42.
About the same as two of the ones in the OP :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

reohn2 wrote:
Slidingpillar wrote:Gimmick of limited value. What you see in the mirror will vary with hand position, so anyone using drops (as per the web site) would be forever moving it about. Bar end mirror is still going to be better.

I agree.
I use and can thoroughly recommend the Cateye BM300G,which fits into the bar end(drops or straights).It's the simplest and most effective mirror I've seen so far.
It folds up when the bike is stored or parked,brilliant,simple design and almost unbreakable,and costs £6 :) .
I have six in use(one on each bike) and one spare that I take with me when touring just in case,total cost £42.
About the same as two of the ones in the OP :?

I also use the Cateye mirror. I think they are great but they come in for a bit of stick on this forum
'Kernow bys Vyken'
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Swallow wrote:I also use the Cateye mirror. I think they are great but they come in for a bit of stick on this forum

Mainly from a very small minority of one :? .
A nice big,clear folding mirror that doesn't move out of place if the screw is tightened enough,I've been using mine for approx 10years without issue and despite a couple of falls,scuffs,etc,I haven't broken one yet.
W H Auden
cold_wet_and_tired

Post by cold_wet_and_tired »

I tried a bar-end mirror for a few months but took it off last time I re-did my bar tape.

I found that the mirror was too far away from my normal eye line to be useful - by the time I peered down to see what was behind me I could have glanced over my shoulder and gathered more information more quickly. I also had to fold it away every time I parked the bike and never got the knack of quickly adjusting it so I gave up with it.

Clearly other people get on much better with them than I did and when they only cost a fiver there's nothing to lose in trying them out.
horizon

Post by horizon »

cold_wet_and_tired wrote:I found that the mirror was too far away from my normal eye line to be useful .

The Blackburn drop bar mirror is positioned exactly where you want and need it - on the brake hoods. It simply cannot be more ideal.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A pair of mirrcycle mirrors, one on each bar end of the 'bent does very well.

To whomever it was who suggested that £42 on a small army of mirrors, equipping each bike, was a better use of money - I'd suggest that anyone with that count of bikes is the prime market for this - you only need the one (or one and a spare if you must), hoever many time n turns into n+1
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m60b0s238p5391/BUSCH-and-MULLER-Cycle-Star-Mirror-Bar-End-901-2

(From my LBS on drop bars). When I got it I was worried it was a bit small (it is small). But it works fantastically. Impressed.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:A pair of mirrcycle mirrors, one on each bar end of the 'bent does very well.

To whomever it was who suggested that £42 on a small army of mirrors, equipping each bike, was a better use of money - I'd suggest that anyone with that count of bikes is the prime market for this - you only need the one (or one and a spare if you must), hoever many time n turns into n+1

I'm not clear which mirror you mean :? .
The Cateye per unit @ £6,is cheaper than any other mirror I've seen.
It's also more convenient than the Mirricycle or the OP's suggestion.
The Mirrycle may work well on a 'bent but for anything else is a RVM waiting to be knocked off and sticks out like a sore thumb.
The OP proposed RVM is inconvenient in so many ways as to be more of an annoyance than practical.TBH can't think of a worse place to have a RVM than strapped to my arm.
BTW I do understand that not everyone has six bikes,but for them that do,six RVM's are worth the cost of two of the OP's proposed RVM.
Of course it's each to his/her own,yer pays yer money etc.
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

The one in the OP doesn't look great to me - will only work if your arm is in the right position, so, for eg, if on the tops you have to move your hand to the hoods before you can see behind you - doesn't give you the instant view that a bar or head mounted mirror might. Plus it'll give you an even sillier sun tan in the summer :lol:

I'm in two minds about mirrors - I had a helmet mounted one that I just didn't get on with. I had a bar mounted one that was really easy to use and gave a good view. but I suspect that if I went back to using a mirror I would be lazy and wouldn't turn to look behind in traffic enough...which, as we all know, is an important ploy in the safety stakes as it tells the following driver that you are about to do something and allows you to get eye-contact. Also, since I ditched the mirror and started looking behind a lot more I've noticed my stiff neck is not half as bad as it was.

On the 'bent, of course, I still use the mirror as it's near impossible for me to turn round on it, but the 'bent's "wow factor" has a similar effect to the look behind - the following driver doesn't know what to make of it and so passes wide.