A rant about Rule 170 Highway Code

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

Re: A rant about Rule 170 Highway Code

Post by jezer »

When in New York last week I noticed there were no traffic laws at all. Drivers would block pedestrian crossings, and indeed park on them with impunity. Horns would blast all night, and there were very few cyclists. There is a Boris bike type system called Citybikes, but all the docking stations were virtually full. We didn't see more than five hire bikes in use in the entire week. NY is the pits, they could wreck the entire planet single handled, and they don't have any recycling facilities either :roll:
Power to the pedals
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

Back in the dim and distant past when I was learning to drive, a rumour was circulating amongst my friends and peers that when you came to do your test, an old lady would cross a side-street into which you were being instructed to turn, in order to see whether or not you gave way and hence whether or not you could be failed instantly. Everyone who took their test came back with the same story - at a certain location, an old lady was crossing the side-street and the examiner checked to make sure you gave way. Sure enough, on the day of my test, examiner instructs me to "turn left into the next side-street", just as the old lady starts crossing. Since then, I have always given-way to people crossing side-streets.
JayGatsby

Post by JayGatsby »

661-Pete wrote:
JayGatsby wrote:I used to ignore this

Ignore what, precisely? The "furious bell pings and verbal reprimands", or Rule 170?

I used to ignore the rule. I didn't even know it. Observing the general population it seems we're the exception.
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

JayGatsby wrote:I think we should all do this and increase the general population's trust in cycling.

This is a great idea! :)
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
boliston

Post by boliston »

I blame the problem partially on road design - roads are often designed so that vehicles can take juctions at speed without having to slow down. Rather than having side roads with 90 degree turns they are designed with massive visibility splays on each side which are great if you are driving a vehicle but add danger if you are on foot.
karlt

Post by karlt »

I've noticed that the buggers are tending to put crossing places (marked by drop kerbs and tactile paving) a few yards down the side roads these days, so pedestrians are clearly crossing a road rather than an entrance - giving priority to the cars. Totally the wrong way to clarify the issue for drivers who don't know the HC.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There's always a consequence to the way you approach road safety for young people, because young people grow up and become older drivers.

We teach our youngsters, as pedestrians and cyclists, to keep out of the way of cars at all costs. As pedestrians, they should not cross any road (including a side road) if a car is in sight. As cyclists, they should not overtake a parked car, even though they clearly have priority, if a moving vehicle is behind.

Now, I'm not sure that telling an eight year-old to be assertive is a sensible idea. However, we should not wonder that, twelve years later, that eight year-old is behind the wheel and still expecting non-motorised road users to get out of the way of all cars.

Fixing this needs some pretty powerful counter-instruction as people reach adulthood. I don't recall seeing much of that.
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

Increasingly, engineers are installing 'side road entry treatments', with the footway material extended across the side road entry on a raised table. This encourages pedestrians to stroll across, taking their due priority and implicitly reminding drivers turning that they must give way. Great idea.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mick F wrote:If I'm crossing, I have priority over vehicles turning.
Why don't folk know this?

Its because they've paid "road tax" and you're trespassing on the road they've "paid" for :wink:
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

At one point on my morning commute, I have a choice between riding on the road or on the widened shared pavement with dropped kerbs.

I seem to recall that there used to be a continuous painted cycle lane on the road itself, but there is now just a dodgy crack in the tarmac that the council don't seem interested in repairing.

Unfortunately there is an ever- expanding housing estate which is leading to a hefty increase in traffic both in and out of a side road - and South Glos council who are fond of inflicting dangerous white bollards on shared paths, have instead provided a gentle radius so that drivers turning-in don't have to slow down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hZdpZSCiQ

Notice me riding close to the kerb and switching on my "rear light from hell."

If the road is empty and I'm feeling up for it, I'll go for a sprint on the road :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n2H_SJsoag

Unfortunately my cameras were out of action recently when a driver pulled out from the left to turn right without even looking in my direction - luckily I was as usual in primary and watching where he was looking so was already braking and swearing loudly.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd never heard of that rule, or indeed many other road laws as I've never gone for driving lessons. At the same time, I've always had a healthy regard for the health and wellbeing of others and my own safety so ride accordingly. I was also taught something called "manners" by my family and teachers as I'm sure many of us here were also.
I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong. I'm not sure what happens to most of these principles when a person gets behind the wheel of a vehicle but they seem to disappear.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
drossall

Post by drossall »

IrishBill76 wrote:I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong.

No, but, with respect, it's not just about right and wrong - it's about everyone having the same expectations. As the Code itself says in its introduction, "The Highway Code is essential reading for everyone."

Therefore, I would have hoped that everyone (or at least every adult) who ventures out, even only onto the pavement, would have been familiar with that rule.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

jezer wrote:When in New York last week I noticed there were no traffic laws at all. Drivers would block pedestrian crossings, and indeed park on them with impunity. Horns would blast all night, and there were very few cyclists. There is a Boris bike type system called Citybikes, but all the docking stations were virtually full. We didn't see more than five hire bikes in use in the entire week. NY is the pits, they could wreck the entire planet single handled, and they don't have any recycling facilities either :roll:
I was in NY Manhattan in 1986, yes, I know that was a long time ago. :oops:

However, there were hundreds of cyclists, especially on a Sunday in Central Park, but even during the week they would be commuting and riding in and out of the Avenues and Streets. I took my place amongst them, and watched their traffic avoidance methods. As a cyclist there, I didn't feel out of place at all.

I also cycled from Niagara Canada back to Portsmouth New Hampshire - 500miles - and didn't feel out of place even riding through NY State including Albany the state capital.

What happened since 1986?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

drossall wrote:
IrishBill76 wrote:I don't need a book to tell me right from wrong.

No, but, with respect, it's not just about right and wrong - it's about everyone having the same expectations.

I agree with this. Rules regarding priority are not necessarily common sense, merely conventions. If one doesn't know these conventions it is not always possible to deduce them just by thinking what would be right or wrong. We could just as easily have a convention of driving on the right as on the left and it would not be ill mannered or incorrect if that was what everyone did.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Mick F wrote:
jezer wrote:When in New York last week I noticed there were no traffic laws at all. Drivers would block pedestrian crossings, and indeed park on them with impunity. Horns would blast all night, and there were very few cyclists. There is a Boris bike type system called Citybikes, but all the docking stations were virtually full. We didn't see more than five hire bikes in use in the entire week. NY is the pits, they could wreck the entire planet single handled, and they don't have any recycling facilities either :roll:
I was in NY Manhattan in 1986, yes, I know that was a long time ago. :oops:

However, there were hundreds of cyclists, especially on a Sunday in Central Park, but even during the week they would be commuting and riding in and out of the Avenues and Streets. I took my place amongst them, and watched their traffic avoidance methods. As a cyclist there, I didn't feel out of place at all.

I also cycled from Niagara Canada back to Portsmouth New Hampshire - 500miles - and didn't feel out of pla :evil: ce even riding through NY State including Albany the state capital.

What happened since 1986?

Cyclists are now banned from Central Park. There is a perimeter road for runners and cyclists, but it's very little used. The traffic in Manhatten is manic, with only a few very brave cyclists on the roads. I wouldn't even think about cycling there. Drivers are not subject to any control, and just speed and park where they like. Pedestrians or cyclists in the way? Just keep your hand on the horn and increase your speed. I won't be going there again.
Power to the pedals