Cycle - You must be banned or poor

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: Cycle - You must be banned or poor

Post by Cunobelin »

Statistics can be altered, which is why I linked data

You cannot really fiddle.....

Have you cycled in the last week?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Mr Mobile!
I like that. :D
And I am surely not as quick as formerly. :(

Though I might be Miss Mobile? :wink:

Miss Mobile .....? How mobile and in which general fashion? Post videos if possible.

Cugel. not yet reconstructed for post-modern times and therefore probably due a telling off from a femme fatale or perhaps Matron.

Very mobile, in almost constant motion even.
And in a generally old fashioned fashion.
Home sweet home.
Home sweet home.
image.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 591 times
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cunobelin wrote:Have you cycled in the last week?

Yes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Miss Mobile .....? How mobile and in which general fashion? Post videos if possible.

Cugel. not yet reconstructed for post-modern times and therefore probably due a telling off from a femme fatale or perhaps Matron.

And in a generally old fashioned fashion.image.jpg

That must have been your van I saw by the A49 near Leominster, your horses were grazing the verge :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Not me, I'm camped within sight of the big Alps and it's pouring down (though it was a lovely day earlier).
But my old horses don't care!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Not me, I'm camped within sight of the big Alps and it's pouring down (though it was a lovely day earlier).
But my old horses don't care!

.... NO way to talk about the wife and kids
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cunobelin wrote:.... NO way to talk about the wife and kids

I didn't say old nag. :shock:
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I dont care if anyone thinks I'm banned or poor. When the petrol runs out, and the penny drops that there arent enough rare earth metals to build enough electric cars to replace internal combustion cars lne for one, then theyll either be on the bike or bus themselves.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I dont care if anyone thinks I'm banned or poor. When the petrol runs out, and the penny drops that there arent enough rare earth metals to build enough electric cars to replace internal combustion cars lne for one, then theyll either be on the bike or bus themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/29/electric-cars-battery-manufacturing-cobalt-mining

"However, the road to a promised land of zero-emission vehicles is littered with speed bumps and red lights that threaten to seriously slow the progress of the electric car. Battery makers are struggling to secure supplies of key ingredients in these large power packs – mainly cobalt and lithium. The hopes of both battery and vehicle manufacturers hang on the mining sector finding more deposits of these precious minerals.

"This is the mother of supply chain headaches, and one hi-tech car manufacturers and electronics firms could do without. At the heart of the global cobalt trade is Glencore. The metals and mining giant produces almost a third (28,300 tonnes) of the world’s annual supply. As much as 65% of this global supply comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where cobalt production has fallen this year because of the unstable political situation. This sparked a 90% jump in the price of cobalt to a peak of $61,000 a tonne earlier this month."
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I dont care if anyone thinks I'm banned or poor. When the petrol runs out, and the penny drops that there arent enough rare earth metals to build enough electric cars to replace internal combustion cars lne for one, then theyll either be on the bike or bus themselves.

We will hit catastophic climate change before the petrol runs out. I only hope that as extraction becomes more and more expensive, it won't be affordable / worth it for most people, and they will shift to active travel.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What the Climate Scientists are saying is pretty horrendous. Perhaps we all ought to wear tabbards with thIs message on the back - "SAVE THE PLANET, GET ON YER BIKE! "

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
meic

Post by meic »

But any attempt to reduce carbon dioxide production is normally overridden by economic or safety concerns.
Environmentalism is given lip service up until it threatens increased growth of GDP.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cugel wrote:

And in a generally old fashioned fashion.image.jpg

You're a Didicoy?? :shock:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Si

Post by Si »

When you think about it: if the human race were given a task whereby they had to all work together and do massive engineering and social projects in order to destroy the climatic balance of an entire planet you'd laugh and say it couldn't be done. Yet if you tasked them to merely stop doing some stuff that will spell doom for everyone if they continue to do it, then you'd think "how hard can that be?".
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What can be done, what are we doing? I will be gone in a few decades :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies