Cycle - you must be sport

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LondonBikeCommuter

Re: Cycle - you must be sport

Postby LondonBikeCommuter » 5 May 2014, 8:00am

squeaker wrote:Possibly 'cos it's the 'sporting' cyclists that cause the most aggro to other road users / are most visible tearing around 'our' countryside in peletons? :lol:

completely disagree...... on the whole and not wishing to make sweeping generalisations but its the recreational/transport cyclists that give a cycling a bad name. Take a look on Youtube and see how many 'Tour de France' wannabe's you see cycling on the pavement or jumping red lights etc.

LondonBikeCommuter

Postby LondonBikeCommuter » 5 May 2014, 8:12am

Chris the Sheep wrote:I'm sick of living in a country where everything has to be organised, marketed, sponsored, hi-vizzed to its eyeballs.

Now this I completely agree with. I signed up to do a half marathon and everyone I've told or knows that I'm doing it has asked me which charity I'm running for. The answer is none I'm running for myself. Running magazines have been completely taken over with advertisements for charities asking for runners. Events make it even worse by flogging off spaces to them for 'guaranteed charity places' just raise a minimum X thousands by pestering everyone you know for money. I didn't get a space in the RideLondon event but have received a large number of emails from the organisers regarding charity places.

mjr

Postby mjr » 5 May 2014, 8:15am

I have seen quie a few wannabe racers on pavements and jumping lights. I upset the local road club by asking them to identify one who kept riding past my house on the path in full kit. I think youtube footage will give a distorted picture because the wannabes are more likely to have the cameras and less likely to post themselves or others like them RLJing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.