Thirst Whilst Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: Thirst Whilst Cycling

Post by Flinders »

fausto copy wrote:Rode all the way to the caff and had a large latte.
As I hadn't got my banana for the journey home, I thought I'd have a toasted teacake.
Enjoyed that, with 4 butter pats on it :wink:
Asked if anyone wanted a free bottle of water, but no takers.
Had one sip on 15 mile ride back home; arriving with almost 2 litres of water and extra fluid and food onboard.
Daren't go near the scales. :lol:

That post cheered up my day...... :wink:
I'm still working on getting fitter and losing weight, and I recognise the scenario...the best laid plans of mice and men......
Lucyhan

Post by Lucyhan »

There is an article about drinking and cycling in this months Cycling Health and Fitness.

My OH downloads it for free by inputting 'cycling health and fitness pdf' into google.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yesterday, I did a repeat ride of one I've done before. 87miles.

Last time 5th June. Damp, cool. I took one bottle, and drank about half of it.
Yesterday 17th June. Very hot and very sunny. I took two bottles and drank all of one, and more than half of the other.

Same ride, same distance, same time of day.
Only difference was that one day was 14degC, and the other 24degC.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
And if you had weighed yourself before and after you could of calculated how much you would need to have drunk to maintain your body fluid.
Last friday I needed about 11.5 700ml bottles but only drunk about 8.5, it took me to next day to regain the weight and stop feeling thirsty.

Tomorrow is meant to be the warmest day this year in the southwest.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

First four days heading north from Varna, the weather was hot and sunnywith temperatures of +30C.
I was drinking 4-5 litres while cycling and needed to drink another couple of litres after I'd finished.

The next three days where cool, damp and overcast with temperatures hovering around 20C.
I only needed to drink a couple of litres while on the move and around one when I'd finished.

The next day was hot and again a seven litre day and today was cool and only four litres where needed.
Plus the last couple of days, the terrain has been rolling in the Ukraine, so I've been working harder than on the flat land of Romania.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Most of the Taff Trail yesterday. about 55 miles on a mountain bike with knobblies (big mistake) It was mostly tarmac, I'm not going to listen to my mate again.
I digress. 4.5 litres whist cycling, another litre when my wife picked me up and another 1.5 litres in the evening, plus a couple of mugs of tea, so over 7 litres yesterday.
I had kidney stones earlier in the year and the doc told me to drink more, I certainly did yesterday, but I had to keep telling myself to drink.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
hercule

Post by hercule »

You also lose fluid in your breath as well as through more obvious sweating. I must admit I rarely go out with water when I'm cycling. Running, I'll not take any for runs less than 1:45, but it does depend on the weather.

I was sitting eating my lunch in a car park at the start of some forest walks a few weeks ago. Young woman turns up in car, pops out in full running gear and spends several minutes plugging in iPod, getting out water bottle, etc. Runs off down the track. Ten minutes she's back, into car, and away. How dehydrated did she expect to get in 10 minutes?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I many have worked it out.

I never eat during my rides (and I don't feel thirsty). But last few rides I've been stopping and doing some shopping which has resulted in a stop for cake(s) and coffee and when I get home I'm now thirsty.

I normally would not bother but given the coffer is free ... and cakes good ...

Weather/heat/ride all pretty much the same, the difference in eating during the ride. No eating=no thirst; Eating=thirst.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Psamathe wrote:I many have worked it out.

I never eat during my rides (and I don't feel thirsty). But last few rides I've been stopping and doing some shopping which has resulted in a stop for cake(s) and coffee and when I get home I'm now thirsty.

I normally would not bother but given the coffer is free ... and cakes good ...

Weather/heat/ride all pretty much the same, the difference in eating during the ride. No eating=no thirst; Eating=thirst.

Ian

You have a modified Mick F ioutous :lol:
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe it's the coffee?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Good grief. Folks around here must be related to camels. I did 70 miles on Sunday at an average of 14.5 mph. I had two pint size mugs of milk instant before I set out, drank two pots of tea and 3 litres of electrolyte drink during the ride then needed three pints of diet coke at the end before I stopped feeling thirsty. I do sweat profusely when cycling due to a bmi of 32. Maybe I'm the extreme to Milk F;-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Funny this thread has come up ........
Out yesterday 90miles. Hot at times, some rain, some hills, some sun.
I took two bottles of water ............ and nowt else.
I'd eaten well for the previous few days.

I had a coupe of boiled eggs and toast for breakfast with a three cups of tea, and was off and away by 08:10.
I never stopped or drank for 49miles. I stopped because the heavens opened and I hid under a tree! Gosh it hammered down! I had a few gulps of water whilst the rain passed, then I was off and away again.

For the next 40miles, I drank the rest of the first bottle, and then started on the second. I made it home at 3pm and still had half a bottle left.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I've been tring very hard to get to 76 kgs for months and I made it :D

Got home the other day and I was 73 point something :?

Thats what happens when you dont uptake as much as you sweat pee & blow out, we've all done it :)
Drake

Post by Drake »

Does anybody know where i can get a drinks bottle with a drinking tube.
I cycle guite a bit on rough tracks and usually wear a full face helmet when doing so.
At the moment i have to stop, remove helmet, because the face guard gets in the way.
Sorry to send this thread slightly off course . . . but whilst on the subject of drink, i thought i'd ask .
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You don't want a camelbak, or similar?

http://shop.camelbak.com/international- ... all/l/1100

Otherwise, how much tube do you need? Maybe some of the kids' water bottles with pop-up straws would do?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom