Thirst Whilst Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Drake

Re: Thirst Whilst Cycling

Post by Drake »

Vorpal wrote:You don't want a camelbak, or similar?

http://shop.camelbak.com/international- ... all/l/1100

Otherwise, how much tube do you need? Maybe some of the kids' water bottles with pop-up straws would do?

I had considered a "camelbak" or similar products, but i have been trying to reduce the weight i carry on my back due to shoulder and neck problems.
The tube itself would only need to be (in my estimation) 6" to 8" long . . just long enough to pass tube under the face guard and into the mouth.
l don't tend to drink while on the move (can't anyway when wearing a full face), but i would like to be able to take a sip of water now and again to clear a dry mouth.
Thanks anyway, i'll keep seaching. The kids drinks bottle sounds like a good avenue to explore.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I had a look on ebay yesterday there are lots of kids ones, you could pick them up in a local cheap shop I am sure.
There are expensive ones also £7.50.
Just a thought most straw / tube bottles are designed to drink whilst upright so internal straw :!:
You want an external straw / tube or maybe you dont and need / want both so you can drink without tipping bottle up and head back :?:
I would start with a kiddy bottle if it will fit in the rack.
I thinkl you might have to add a tube to a bottle any way.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Sporting-Good ... =200&rt=nc
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Can't you just cut a hole in an existing bottle and drop a straw in?
Drake

Post by Drake »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I had a look on ebay yesterday there are lots of kids ones, you could pick them up in a local cheap shop I am sure.
There are expensive ones also £7.50.
Just a thought most straw / tube bottles are designed to drink whilst upright so internal straw :!:
You want an external straw / tube or maybe you dont and need / want both so you can drink without tipping bottle up and head back :?:
I would start with a kiddy bottle if it will fit in the rack.
I thinkl you might have to add a tube to a bottle any way.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Sporting-Good ... =200&rt=nc

Yes it would be an external straw i need. Think i'll search for a childs drinks bottle and mod it.
Drake

Post by Drake »

bigjim wrote:Can't you just cut a hole in an existing bottle and drop a straw in?

Yes your perfectly correct of cause and i think that is the route i will take.
My existing bottle has a cap with one of those built in valves, so i don't want to try and mod it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I know that I have seen children's sports bottles with capped straws. I just can't recall where :(

We also have some capped straws from themed smoothie cups (smotthies bought form the places in a mall that came in Dora the Explorer cups or something). The straws from those go int he dishwasher.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I remember from many years age you could get a drinks bottle holder that clamped to the handlebars. The bottle it was supplied with did not have the pop up valve bit but a tube coming out of the top for about 6 inches.
You could try something like that. Alternatively an old fashioned Bum Bag around your hips with a small bladder and drinking tube. The Platipus springs to mind.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar