Lightweight touring

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
runswick2000

Lightweight touring

Post by runswick2000 »

I am planning a 3 day tour and wish to travel really lightly (staying in Youth Hostels). I was planning using a bar bag and some sort of rear storage (large rack pack or small panniers. I will be using by road racing bike. Can anyone suggest a rack and pack for the rear?
mas051

Re:Lightweight touring

Post by mas051 »

Anything wrong with a saddle bag?

A three day tour is easily done with any of the carradice Nelson type of saddle bag.

Matthew
runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 »

Now, there's a thought.

I guess I was thinking of inflation proofing myself by buying something that could take more if I needed it in future.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I use a Topeak QR Beam Rack RX with small rack bag/panniers combined which is excellent. Although VERY compact I recently managed to squeeze in enough lugage for a 10 day end-to-end trip so itwill easily cover 3 days! Take a look atwww.topeak.com.
runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 »

Steve, I was thinking along these lines and coupling it with a bar-bag. Can you just clarify what type(s) of bags you put on the QR rack. Also, exactly what did you manage to fit in? (credit card, spare shorts only or enough to keep you comphy?)

Cheers

John
tomjw

Post by tomjw »

I bought a pair of Altura Dryline 46 litre panniers for 39.99. They are excellent - that Rixen click and fix mounting, lots of pockets and rainproof covers. on sale at www.bikeplus.co.uk (saw it ithis month's CTC magazin). I just did a long tour with mine and couldn't fault them. I reckon they'll be good for years.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The bag I use has a main compartment and two side pockets that fold out into small panniers. Into this I managed to cram a complete change cycling kit (socks, shorts, jersey)and extra long sleeved jersey, 2 t-shirts, shorts and underwear for the evening, toiletries, suncream and various bits and bobs. I suplemented this witha toolbag that fiited between the seatpost and rack bag. My waterproof jacket was rolled up and strapped to the top of the bag.

Packing was a bit of a 3-D jigsaw but Ihad everything I needed and the whole bag weighed less than 10lbs.
runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 »

Steve, was it a topeak bag as well as this sounds ideal, Can you let me know the model and make?

Sorry to be a pest!

john
Steve

Post by Steve »

No problem! It was a Topeak bag (it HAS to be to work with the quickclip system) but it looks like the exact model has been discontinued.

It looks exactly like this one - www.topeak.com/products/bag_018.html - but the pockets unzip to make the panniers.

This one - www.topeak.com/products/bag_019.html - has the fold out panniers but has an extending top section.

To get enough space you would need the one with panniers but a WORD OF WARNING. The system mounts the luggage VERY high and this makes the bike very back/top heavy. I would avoid filling the extending top any more than absolutely necessary.

The bike doesn't become seriously unstable but on very steep hills it gets a bit light on the front wheel.

Finally, I would ignore the bit that says you need side frames. Unless you have a very small framed bike the panniers dont foul the rear wheel at all. If you let me have an email address I will send you a photo of how it looks on the bike.
runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 »

Thanks for that, email address is john@gilmours.eclipse.co.uk
Pilotlight

Post by Pilotlight »

A friend an I have just come back from a 5 day tour round the Scottish Borders. We always try to travel light, due the heavy weight size of our back ends (mine at least!!). I always use a Carradice saddlebag for hostel touring and travel as light as possible. The more you take then the more effort uphill!!

My friend took small panniers and it was extremely noticeable the difference in speed going downhill. When I was freewheeling, he was having to pedal to keep up. We have come to the conclusion: travel light and fast, you will enjoy it more.

You could always post clean clothes onto a hostel, although we found that washing and drying overnight was best. Always take clothing that will dry out quickly.
braz

Post by braz »

End to end with just a bar bag! A clean hanky and a dinner jacket - what more could one possibly need!

regards, Braz