two examples of stupidity....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

two examples of stupidity....

Post by eileithyia »

out with son today and riding slightly to the outside of him. We had just come thru some temp traffic lights and cont up a hill toward left hand bend with a road off to the right at the bend. Suddenly a great commotion of horns behind us, i deliberately held my line, it was no place ot overtake even a solo cyclist, inevitably before aforementioned horns caught us, another cyclist and white van appeared from around the corner. Even this did not alert horns to the possible danger of overtaking at this point and with more blasts overtook us, cutting me so close I am sure my handlebars were directly above the passenger door (it was poxy squat sportscar). So took a suggestion from another thread on here; rang 999 and reported and dangerous possibly under the influence driver (got the no.) :lol: :lol: No response back from police..

Then this evening driving (in the dark) along the Atherleigh Way (for those that know it) suddenly realised a "bike rider" was approaching from opp direction on my side!! Only saw him due to front reflector, flashed him and received a polite wave from the hand that had been at his ear which also contained his mobile!!!!!!
mhara

Post by mhara »

I can only think that cycling in dark clothes and without lights or even reflectives is done because the cyclist concerned has never driven and never realised how truely invisible they are.

I always carry a couple of spare pairs of reflective snap-on trouser leg 'clips' - get them free from the Cycle Exeter Team - and have three times now (since nights began drawing in) ridden past an 'invisible cyclist' and stopped to offer the reflectors, which can also comfortably be wrapped round you upper arm.

Two refused the offer and carried on invisibly away. I hope they got home.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

mhara wrote:I can only think that cycling in dark clothes and without lights or even reflectives is done because the cyclist concerned has never driven and never realised how truely invisible they are.

I always carry a couple of spare pairs of reflective snap-on trouser leg 'clips' - get them free from the Cycle Exeter Team - and have three times now (since nights began drawing in) ridden past an 'invisible cyclist' and stopped to offer the reflectors, which can also comfortably be wrapped round you upper arm.

Two refused the offer and carried on invisibly away. I hope they got home.

I presume they must eat lots of carrots and have the same intellect as a myxi bunny!
bikegeek

Post by bikegeek »

Just the other day I rode into a guy on a dark cyclepath. I know its usually motorists who come out with the old " sorrymate, just didnt see you there" but in this case it was me, and I really didn't see him until the very last minute - contact unavoidable. He joined the path from my left at speed (its one of those converted railway tracks with sliproad type entrances which come down a steep embankment). Talk about bad timing, the 2 of us were startled, but ok. I have a big front light and asked if he could see it. "I didn't bother looking as its normally not busy down here" came the reply. He then asked to borrow said light to look in the undergrowth for some stuff that had fallen off his bike! I gave the bushes a quick flash & left him groping around. Maybe fishing in some nettles will teach him to get some lights and pay attention to his riding.
"There's room for all of us on the road you know, you'll just have to take that bit of room behind me!"
robadair

Post by robadair »

I had a similar experience to this last weekend. I was riding down a local cycle path (lights and a high viz jacket on) when I caught sight of 2 people approaching on MTB's (no lights and dark clothing - side by side - one on the cycle path and the other on the footpath). I wrongly assumed that they must be able to see me and continued to head towards them until we almost collided to the cries of "did you not see us you stupid *@~#@*" :shock:

Sometimes I despair at the amount of "Darwin Award" cyclists I come across :(