50 mph for lorries

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: 50 mph for lorries

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:60 mph is too high for the vast majority of single carriageway roads. I would prefer that the national speed limit were 50 for all vehicles, with the possibility of of higher speed limits where justified.

+1

The single-carriageway maximum limit was raised from 50 to 60 circa 1987
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

On the subject of that (3 year old) quote from Vorpal.
There is very little unrestricted road left around here for the A and B roads, so in a way her wish has been granted, they are all now signed as 30, 40 and 50 even in the unpopulated stretches between the villages.
Which gives the odd situation of 60 mph lanes sprouting from 40 mph main A roads.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:On the subject of that (3 year old) quote from Vorpal.
There is very little unrestricted road left around here for the A and B roads, so in a way her wish has been granted, they are all now signed as 30, 40 and 50 even in the unpopulated stretches between the villages.
Which gives the odd situation of 60 mph lanes sprouting from 40 mph main A roads.

Lanes with no centre lines should be 40mph as a default. At the moment, we've got the absurd situation where local areas are basically penalised with large traffic order and sign costs for legally limiting tiny back lanes to safe speeds.

And even main roads that are mostly signed down to safe speeds seem to be the exception rather than the rule apart from a few enlightened places. I know driving too fast for the conditions or road is still technically an offence, but it's rarely enforced.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Across the East of England, there area many, many rural lanes that are national speed limit, and not at all suited to it.

It's ridiculous that the speed limit here https://www.google.no/maps/@51.7981647, ... 56!6m1!1e1 is the same as https://www.google.no/maps/place/Witham ... 79!6m1!1e1

And 60 mph is really too fast for either.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

There is a theory that it is meant to be a maximum rather than a target.
There are bits of our 60 mph lanes where 60 mph is alright, between the bits where 20mph is pushing the safety limit.
Yma o Hyd
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Vorpal wrote:Across the East of England, there area many, many rural lanes that are national speed limit, and not at all suited to it.

It's ridiculous that the speed limit here https://www.google.no/maps/@51.7981647, ... 56!6m1!1e1 is the same as https://www.google.no/maps/place/Witham ... 79!6m1!1e1

And 60 mph is really too fast for either.

totally agree, but LA won't do anything unless there are fatalities, I tried getting a speed reduction on a road near me but though local councillors listened to what i said then did nothing. :evil: Trees lining both sides, barely safe to do 30mph yet drivers sweep around it at ridiculous speeds.

It was/is also used by schoolchildren as the local high school serves some kids on the estate where I live and it's a heck of a trek to go onto the main route, people regularly walk along it as the next town is only 600m distant. I ride virtually on the centre line (it's wide enough for two cars) when going up the hill on the tight left bend so I'm in view as early as possible, it might annoy some but frankly my safety is more important.

the limit should be 40mph for all of these types of roads with exceptions added if the line of sight and width is adequate as well as with respect to other hazards. Given that people simply won't adhere to limits, the limit in itself is meaningless and is a target at best (this starts straight from driving instructors even now) and with modern vehicles it's all to easy to get up to speeds that are unsafe, it's then not the brakes that are the issue but the behaviour and not enough time for the human in charge of the killing thing to react that causes the problem.
Username

Post by Username »

meic wrote:There is a theory that it is meant to be a maximum rather than a target.
There are bits of our 60 mph lanes where 60 mph is alright, between the bits where 20mph is pushing the safety limit.

Exactly. Its impractical to put a sign up on every bend so who ever is responsible for road signage expects drivers to use their judgement. 50ph around a hairpin bend on a single lane road is a bit mad, and so is trying to pet a wild lion. There are no "no petting wild lions" signs in the wilds of Africa tho. There are also times where you can safely cruise 100mph, such as on an empty motorway in good conditions, or at least there used to be. Nowadays motorways are just long car parks. Anyway what grips my feces is that the law does not take into account if something that is technically illegal, was reasonable or safe to do. It also seems the other way round. I often suffer from tailgating, I have never ever known anyone to be fined for tailgating, but just about everyone I know has had a fine for going too fast or for not moving at all.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How many lives has This Madness cost?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How many lives has This Madness cost?

Good point .... how many ... Any ?
I'm sure some one on here can dig out the independent stats ...

Good point .. How many lives has This Madness cost ?

We must be told !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

What puzzles me...the lorries are restricted to a maximum physical speed of 56. Yet a coach which can weigh as much as some lorries, and have over 50 souls aboard, can barrel along at 66.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5077849 ... 6?hl=en-GB

Just one of many ludicrously designated National Speed Limit roads in my area. The road is actually difficult to drive a car down at 10mph without scraping mirrors in the encroaching hedges.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I'm all for compulsory GPS speedlimits, or to assign recognition speed limiters. Or tasers that shoot out the dash and zap speeders.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:What puzzles me...the lorries are restricted to a maximum physical speed of 56. Yet a coach which can weigh as much as some lorries, and have over 50 souls aboard, can barrel along at 66.

Actually a coach is limited to 100kph/62mph. Yes as much as some lorries but only the small ones, 15( is about the top weight compared to a 40t juggernaut. As for carrying passengers at speed - i'd worry more about minibuses that don't require PSV training and can legally be driven at 70mph.

Now if the HGV's actually complied with speed limits through roadworks and on other non motorway routes we would all be safer. There is a lot of mineral extraction in my area and HGV's being driven at inappropriate speeds on often narrow and twisting roads are a big problem.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, limited to 62mph.
However, the limiter doesn't apply the brakes when going down hill.

I drove the Community Bus for years - recently given up - and that was limited. Going down the A30 on the long uphills it would hit a wall at 62mph and on the flat too, but as soon as a long downhill came, the speed would increase. Before you knew it, you were doing 80mph! :shock:

Same subject but not?
Our car has Cruise Control.
If you set it at 30mph on the A390 locally, it's great for keeping the speed limited.
Come back home to the village and hit Gunnislake Hill, the CC can't cope. Speed is only limited by engine fuel, not by brakes.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:Same subject but not?
Our car has Cruise Control.
If you set it at 30mph on the A390 locally, it's great for keeping the speed limited.
Come back home to the village and hit Gunnislake Hill, the CC can't cope. Speed is only limited by engine fuel, not by brakes.

Most cruise control systems use engine braking to slow vehicles and keep them at or near the set speed.

The governors in goods vehicles are simpler, and generally cannot do this, though they could, of course, for any modern, computer controlled engines.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom