Mam Tor, shivering mountain

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Re: Mam Tor, shivering mountain

Post by TonyR »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I believe Mam Tor is earmarked to become part of the long-absent NCN 6 from Sheffield to Manchester, as part of the Peak District National Park's cycling project. Don't know if any surface works are planned as part of it...

Its surface is already in better shape for cycling than most NCNs :wink:
rudge

Post by rudge »

That's interesting. When I wrote the original post I thought that the point of it was that this family, grandfather and grandson, were prepared to observe with apparent equanimity the potential obliteration of a harmless cyclist.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

To be fair to them though, if that had happened, it would have been Darwinism in action. ;-)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Children are generally held not to be responsible for their actions, and the grandfather was probably a fair way away at the time...

I'd not blame the child for not warning you...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Tail End Charlie wrote:To be fair to them though, if that had happened, it would have been Darwinism in action. ;-)

:lol:
I should coco.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

I've lived in Sheffield over fifteen years and still never been along that road. May have a jaunt over there on the bike when I get time.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I saw Mam Tor for the first time earlier this year, and the road in question which was originally huilt across a 4,000 year old landslide by an enterprising (VIctorian?) engineer to prvide a shallower route than the one up through the pass. And coming down as I recollect, isn't there a wooden barrier across the road to stop traffic? (I recollect something similar, with a turning point, at the bottom end)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !