Anyone not been hit by a car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

Every cyclist I know has a story to tell regarding being hit by a car. One of my workmates has been hit by 5 cars, mostly in the same place. another had all kinds of action, including be almost intentionally squashed against a wall, and stuck on a vans bumper and nearly been run of the road. The pro-cyclist at work once came in on crutches for a week once. And a guy I met at the traffic lights been nocked off a few times but nothing recently. Mind you it wasn't all bad. There was one older lady, cycling instructor who never had an incident only falling off her bike when it was raining once.

I am supprised with all this madness going on people still take their baby on a bike with those baby seets
gaz

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

Post by gaz »

Recent survey here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91178
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

"all this madness"?

Yes there is idiocy, but one of the advantages of the kiddie seats is that they increase the distance and care people leave/take around a bike with one on.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Madness?
Sitting in a steel cage and held up by lots of other steel cages while your blood pressure rises increasing the risk of heart attack and watching your money going up in smoke (literally) via an exhaust pipe.
I'd rather be on my bike :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I've never been hit by a car. Or had any collision with any motor vehicle, or (since childhood) cyclist or pedestrian.

Very boring. Sorry.
skicat

Post by skicat »

I've never been hit by a car, but I did ride into a stationary Reliant Robin once. I think equal damage was sustained by the car and my left knee.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I haven't but haven't really done much cycling, when I was a student I very gently hit the rear corner of the bumper of a car that overtook me to then pull in right in front and stop whilst I was going down Whiteladies Road in the rain.

As no-one has asked the burning question, where is the place your friend has been knocked off multiple times and whose fault was it?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

This question is misleading, if not heavily loaded!

It would make more sense to take a figure such as number of times hit (if any) per mile travelled by bike, or per time spent as a cyclist.

Now, I've been a regular cyclist for well over 50 years. I don't have a figure for number of miles cycled, in all that time, because (a) reliable cycle computers have only appeared on the scene during the last 20 or so years, and (b) I haven't always kept records. But I must have totted up countless thousands of miles in all those years. So have a lot of contributors to this forum - many of whom have far exceeded my modest attainments. Can you boast such a record, Mr/Ms Toomsie?

In all that time, I can definitely recall having been hit by a motor vehicle exactly twice - and neither time did I sustain serious injury, luckily. One occasion, a car came onto a roundabout and took out my back wheel: I successfully claimed for him the cost of a new wheel. The second time, which was in fact the occasion of my re-joining this forum just under two years ago, a taxi cut across in front of me, flooring me. I sustained a nose-bleed and some bruises, nothing more.

I've had a few other 'offs' not involving another vehicle - and mostly due to my own stupidity. We all have the occasional lapse. The two worst of those led to some broken teeth and a few minutes of unconsciousness.

Maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe I've just been a 'defensive' cyclist - whatever that means (look in Cyclecraft for some good tips).

So how does all this amount to "madness going on", if you don't mind?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Postboxer wrote:As no-one has asked the burning question, where is the place your friend has been knocked off multiple times and whose fault was it?

He didn't say "knocked off multiple times". He says "hit by 5 cars, mostly in the same place". Perhaps it was on the bum: ouch that must have hurt some!!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

snibgo wrote:I've never been hit by a car. Or had any collision with any motor vehicle, or (since childhood) cyclist or pedestrian.

Very boring. Sorry.

Same here.
Though I have had a few near misses down to idiotic/lunatic driving,though I must admit there's been a couple times when it's been my fault.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've been cycling for 41 years, done around 180,000 miles and been hit by a car twice. Once, shunted from behind whilst riding a time trial on the A1 and the other, around 2 years ago, cycling to work and a car turned across my path. No serious injuries from either incident.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Hit by a car is quite specific anyway. I've been knocked off my bike but the car didn't actually hit me - IIRC it hit my front wheel.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Me - never in more than 10 years cycling (fingers crossed)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

Never been hit by any other vehicle in 30 years of cycling. I've ridden into the back of a couple of buses ;)
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

A possible research topic: how do collision rates of bikes compare with those of cars? Do bikes collide with other vehicles at the same frequency (say, per road-mile) as cars do?

My instinct is that they are similar. But I could be wrong.

toomsie wrote:I am surprised with all this madness going on people still take their baby on a bike with those baby seets

I suspect that bike baby seats are an excellent car-repellent.