Butser Hill - proposed cyclepath for the missing link

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz

Re: Butser Hill - proposed cyclepath for the missing link

Post by gaz »

However, to give you some small measure of hope I have received promises that this bin that was installed sometime over Winter will be moved. If it wasn't bolted down I'd have done it myself.
Bin.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Improvement works scheduled through Jan 2020. Expect closures and diversions: https://www.facebook.com/QueenElizabeth ... =3&theater
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for that Gaz. I saw the TRO for the closure & diversion in the local newspaper.

I'll try to find out what is proposed. Other knowledgable persons are welcome to contribute.

EDIT : Following a quick trip over to QE Country Park ( and initially confounding the lady manning the reception desk ) . . . . . .
No handout to take away, but an inspection of their copy . . . . . .

I'm guessing that the wooden fencing - section between the forest and QECP - is going to be modified to remove it further away from the cycle track itself.
- As it is currently immediately adjacent to the cycle track, it presents an immediate and unnecessary hazard ! This was initially reported in a Safety Audit when the track was first built.
- Regarding removal of vegetation from around the hundreds of fence posts ( to keep the overgrowth off the track ). A maintenance-friendly version would see a continuous strip of grass/vegetation alongside the track - which could be easily cut with a mower or a flail.

Mapledurham Lane Crossing points :
Hopefully, the dreadful surfaces at the crossing points and the nasty cross-slope on the southern prong, are going to be improved.

and some other stuff.
. . . . .

One hopes that those layby litter bins could be relocated off the track, elsewhere. ( see above )
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I tried to cycle on the path yesterday. It's closed at the ramp on the north side of the QECP centre and there is no way round the barriers that have been erected. I was told by the workforce supervisor that they are making modifications to the ramp and the work will take 3-4 weeks. There's a notice about a diversion for cyclists but no signposts that I could find, but I think it's intended that cyclists use the bridal way to Kiln Lane just south of Buriton. This route is only suitable for mountain bikes unless you want a long walk pushing your bike.
There is no prior notice of the closure before entering the country park. It would be helpful if there was a notice near the Hogs Lodge as otherwise you will descend the hill into the country park to find that you have to go back up the hill and then make a long detour (as I did, adding 4 miles to my journey home!).
I'll check later on today to see if there is a closure sign at the Petersfield end of the path.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hello Flat Tyre,

The diversion is NOT up the bumpy ( & unsurfaced ) valley over to Kiln Lane.

It IS [ when northbound ] to follow the tarmac road, into the park, and around the hairpins up towards the "Juniper" car park.

Before you get to the top of the hill & car park you will see an unsurfaced track [ westside / left ] which decends to join the Butser Cycle Path - at the bottom of the forest section.

I did this a couple of days ago [ southbound ].
The diversion was signposted at various points.
The unsurfaced track has :-
- a non-trivial slope and cross-slope
- a choice (?) of slippery clay : slippery chalk : slippery leaves : mud
The temperature was a few degrees above freezing, and there was evidence of ice/frost in the shade of the trees.

Be AWARE and TAKE CARE - especially if you are heading down the hill on that unsurfaced track.

I seem to recall that the planned end date for the ramp work was 6th MARCH. [ checked and corrected here ]

I will be avoiding the Butser path until it is fully open again.
Last edited by Graham on 25 Jan 2020, 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Works end date corrected.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve got a miriad of routes around that area, which I’ve plotted and perfected over the years, which don’t use the suicidal A3 route. It’s really not that hard to work out a route avoiding it. It’s always nice to have an official route that anyone can access though.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I understand that a request has been made to Hampshire Highways for signage at either end advising of the closure.
There is a map of the planned diversion, which as Graham says is quite difficult and probably only suitable for mountain bikes.
Attachments
ButserDiversion.png
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

flat tyre wrote:I understand that a request has been made to Hampshire Highways for signage at either end advising of the closure.
There is a map of the planned diversion, which as Graham says is quite difficult and probably only suitable for mountain bikes.

I think that’s a big part of the problem. Layman’s understanding of “bike”. Usually a triangular framed monstrosity, made of pig Iron, with huge tyres, and unnecessary suspension, ends up with this sort of solution.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The track up to Juniper is the only realistic alternative for a diversion.

It may be muddy, dirty, slippery and inconvenient, but it is do-able ( with appropriate caution ).

OTOH. I managed the slog up Harvesting Lane yesterday ( non-stop, he boasted ) : 28 front & 32 rear . . . Life in the old dog yet . . . .