Butser Hill - proposed cyclepath for the missing link

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
clandyfield

Re: Butser Hill - proposed cyclepath for the missing link

Post by clandyfield »

Graham wrote:The only anecdotal gossip is that the engineers were trying to agree whether the Ramp down into QECP should be an uninterrupted curve or have zigzags. !! Zigzags !! OMG :shock: madness . . .

I would have a different view though. An uninterrupted curve will, by its nature, result in speeds that I would consider inappropriate for that particular area. A short distance zig-zag I would think would be more appropriate.

Graham wrote:Yesterday, I found a section that I had never know existed before - alongside the A3 (west side) between West Liss & Ham Barn roundabout. http://binged.it/1WhEjdC
But don't get too excited : it was rubbish. An old tarmac footpath designated as a cyclepath. Very poor surface quality and I won't bother using it again despite providing a means to avoid crossing the A3 using the Ham Barn roundabout itself.

Anything that provides an alternative to riding on a major, high speed dual carriageway is a bonus IMO.
Surface quality is bad on a majority of roads these days due to false economy "top dressing" that is now breaking up into a horrid surface to drive/ride on. Cars aren't really affected too much by poor surface (potholes excepted); you notice them, but they don't really affect speed/handling as they do for cyclists.
My approach is to use cycle tyres and speeds that can handle such surfaces (and I ride a Brompton as well as a "normal") and be thankful for the routes that allow me to cycle on my own little road regardless of surface.
Until something drastic happens in this country, it isn't going to improve. Why are French roads so much better??????
Graham

Post by Graham »

That lovely section of machine-laid tarmac, south of the Buriton slip-road roundabout, now has vegetation punching through it in various places along the whole section.

I have reported this to Hants C.C. and they tell me that the contractors will take remedial action.

What is the betting that the patching-by-hand team will be dispatched ??
The smooth surface lasted only a few weeks !! Deeply unimpressive.

160601CyclePath3x.JPG

160601CyclePath1x.JPG
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

Graham wrote:I have reported this to Hants C.C. and they tell me that the contractors will take remedial action.

What is the betting that the patching-by-hand team will be dispatched ??
The smooth surface lasted only a few weeks !! Deeply unimpressive.

Drove (sorry) past it this afternoon and weeds are still in abundance. One looks like it has the makings of quite an impressive bush. Some "empty" mole hill type eruptions as well, so I assume that the p-b-h mob have passed that way at some time.
Still can't find any information on the final solution - anyone got any more info?
Plenty of goings-on in the layby putting up close board fencing and short posts to stop drivers falling into the gully when layby gets re-opened.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I'm just back from an inspection.

Some good news :
1. The ancient abandoned A3 - the whole northern slope - has been given a new coat of smooth tarmac with small grain chippings.

Thus is much easier to cycle up the hill and much safer to cycle downhill.
I was somewhat surprised and delighted the find this has been done. It is very beneficial.

2. The A3 layby work appears to have been completed. The layby is open from the A3 : all the road cones are gone.

It is now possible to cycle the whole length of the route EXCEPT the MISSING LINK between the layby and the Country Park.
At this point, (Southbound), the bold cyclist can progress along the narrow, off-carriageway tarmac strip alongside the A3.
EDIT CORRECTION
If travelling northbound you cannot use the cyclepath south of the layby. It is robustly fenced-off.
Anyone trying to do this would have to walk on the eastern verge ( facing the traffic ) for around 300 metres.
Given that the verge is overgrown, has an uneven surface and is not particularly wide it is a hostile place.

[ I've just returned from the QE Country Park northbound and I cycled up towards the Juniper Car Park and took the unsurfaced track to rejoin the cyclepath north of the layby. ]

Meanwhile the section with the weeds . . . .
I think someone has inspected this and taken some initial action.
Weed killer in the holes and hit any bumps with a lump hammer :D
Well that is what it looks like.

New vegetation is continuing to push through in a lot of places.

Flickr gallery updated.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134272349 ... 2060420605
Last edited by Graham on 27 Jun 2016, 12:27pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correction for northbound cyclist
_aD

Post by _aD »

Many thanks for your continuing updates and comments. Sounds like some credit where credit is due, but their weed management policy needs pulling up.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I trust it's not Japanese Knotweed!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Graham

Post by Graham »

No sign of Japanese Knotweed, fortunately.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

All JK is transferred solely by mechanical means. Contractors machinery is a prime cause of transfer. Whatever is growing there looks quite well rooted, or else the black top is exceedingly thin and hasn't been constructed properly, which will mean poor longevity.
I don't peddle bikes.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Important correction to my last update . . . . . .

EDIT CORRECTION
If travelling northbound you cannot use the cyclepath south of the layby. It is robustly fenced-off.
Anyone trying to do this would have to walk on the eastern verge ( facing the traffic ) for around 300 metres.
Given that the verge is overgrown, has an uneven surface and is not particularly wide it is a hostile place.

[ I've just returned from the QE Country Park northbound and I cycled up towards the Juniper Car Park and took the unsurfaced track to rejoin the cyclepath north of the layby. ]
Graham

Post by Graham »

News Update
==========

The Raymond Brown Construction portacabins are back on site at QECP. Hopefully, this is going to be the construction of the final ramp down into the Country Park.

The weed-ridden section of path alongside the Buriton slip road is now being reconstructed - WITH geotextile under the hardcore.
I just hope they are going to machine-lay the new tarmac, instead of botching it with anything less.

SliproadRemedial.JPG
Graham

Post by Graham »

Ramp construction in progress. . . . . .

Good to see that they are not implementing anything with hairpins . . . which would have been hare-brained . . .

160904Ramp02x.JPG

160904Ramp03x.JPG

Bigger pics
Last edited by Graham on 10 Sep 2016, 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hare-brained not hair-brained
gaz

Post by gaz »

I predict some chicane style barriers and a "Cyclists Dismount" sign at both ends :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

gaz wrote:I predict some chicane style barriers and a "Cyclists Dismount" sign at both ends :wink: .
No cyclepath is completed until "Cyclists Dismount" signs are installed. :evil:
I don't peddle bikes.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Several pieces in our local newspaper and regular letters from Herbert Gusset about the £500,000 overspend and the gross waste of taxpayers money on a facility that will only be used by a very few cyclists who will "frighten horses". Oh dear.
Graham

Post by Graham »

flat tyre wrote:Several pieces in our local newspaper and regular letters from Herbert Gusset about the £500,000 overspend and the gross waste of taxpayers money on a facility that will only be used by a very few cyclists who will "frighten horses". Oh dear.

Which newspaper ? Has anyone responded to these complaints ?