news paper nutcase

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ayesha

Re: news paper nutcase

Post by Ayesha »

One person's view.

Disgruntled cyclist-
"I don't like cars using the roads where I ride my bike, so motorists, take note and keep off the road."

:D :lol:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

iviehoff wrote: it is very difficult legally and effectively to light your bike without using flashing lights.
Really??
Also there are some appalling dazzling blinking/flashing cyclists' lights. It's not surprising they raise complaints.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Hi Revolution,

your reply i presume in the North Somerset Times?
Nicely written, I think the last sentance may have the UKIP candidate who posts in the same paper frothing at the mouth for a reply about road tax, number plates, red light jumping...

Martin
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Yes indeed. I await a tsunami of angry replies :( but I hope it amused more people than it annoyed. :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Revolution wrote:

Yes indeed. I await a tsunami of angry replies :( but I hope it amused more people than it annoyed. :D

Is there any chance of link to it :)
I've tried their site without joy :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

gaz

Post by gaz »

Well worded riposte.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:Well worded riposte.

+1
And perfectly correct :)
W H Auden
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

reohn2 wrote:

+1
And perfectly correct :)

+2, I nearly started cheering as I got to the end of the letter! :)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

...even Mrs Mulligan's car has indicators that flash...

Of course, it's always possible that Mrs Mulligan's car sports a pair of these:
Anyone else remember them? They are still around on the occasional classic car.

As it happens, I have a footnote about trafficators. One of them was my father's undoing, many many years ago. He was driving along and realised his trafficator had jammed in the up position, so he leaned out of the window and tried to reset it. And ... rammed straight into a parked car :shock: . Both cars were write-offs. He was lucky to escape with a few bruises. And even luckier to escape the attention of the Plod. The chief damage was to his pocket....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Wilf Roberts

Post by Wilf Roberts »

+ 3. I despair at the amount of anti-cycling/anti-cyclist rot that is spouted these days. Obviously, merely using a bicycle doesn't instantly mean you have the same habits on the road as every other cyclist - I'm sure we all see very dubious behaviour from other cyclists on occasion. But to gauge the reaction to cycling from some of Joe Public you'd think innocent pedestrians were being mown down on a daily basis by hordes of anti-social cycle thugs.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Wilf Roberts wrote:

+ 3. I despair at the amount of anti-cycling/anti-cyclist rot that is spouted these days. Obviously, merely using a bicycle doesn't instantly mean you have the same habits on the road as every other cyclist - I'm sure we all see very dubious behaviour from other cyclists on occasion. But to gauge the reaction to cycling from some of Joe Public you'd think innocent pedestrians were being mown down on a daily basis by hordes of anti-social cycle thugs.

I agree.
Whenever there's an article in some 'news'paper there's seems to be a queue of people who can't wait to post anti cycling comments,with blatant untruths,that just don't apply either to reality or the law.
For a so called liberal minded country,there are a lot of anti cycling people about.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:For a so called liberal minded country,there are a lot of anti cycling people about.

I think the UK has become a very "anti-" loads of things, not just cycling. And it seems to be getting worse. Other countries (incl. European countries) seem to manage a far more tolerant society, but in the UK we are anti, anti, anti.

It might be too simplistic but I think much of it comes from our politicians who seek to blame everybody else for everything that is wrong. We seek scapegoats for everything and can never take responsibility when we "get it wrong".

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:For a so called liberal minded country,there are a lot of anti cycling people about.

I think the UK has become a very "anti-" loads of things, not just cycling. And it seems to be getting worse. Other countries (incl. European countries) seem to manage a far more tolerant society, but in the UK we are anti, anti, anti.

It might be too simplistic but I think much of it comes from our politicians who seek to blame everybody else for everything that is wrong. We seek scapegoats for everything and can never take responsibility when we "get it wrong".

Ian

I agree,there seems to be an every increasing finger pointing blame culture,whilst those who are really to blame are getting away,in some cases literally,with murder and if not,at least unlawful killing and maiming.
W H Auden
skicat

Post by skicat »

As a manager at a company I worked at a few years ago once said, "Yes there is a blame culture in this company. But who's fault is that?"
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get