If money was not an issue...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: If money was not an issue...

Postby reohn2 » 4 Dec 2014, 1:54pm

beardy wrote:If you are inclined to buy a piece of Art (and to my mind the world of Art is one big mutual con-trick) then why not have it in the shape of a bicycle. Then if you have it nothing better than to ride it.
So you can enjoy it and others can see it.

There's a term known as gilding the Lily which I sure you're familiar with :wink:
EDIT:- BTW,if we're going to call the Raleigh in the picture 'art' they could've left that silly saddle pack off and had a folded tub under the saddle held in place with leather Binda toestrap as it should be,not mention the odd tyres fitted and the rear one flat :?

I would like 2 953s hand made by Roberts one with a Rohloff for expensive maintenance free riding.
Then some nice high quality tadpole trike and a Velomobile for laughs.

Whatever strums yer strings,it's not the owning of such which in and of itself a problem,but more the danger of what can grow in the owners mind,that can become the problem that's being debated.
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Dec 2014, 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Dec 2014, 2:06pm

Thermostat9 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:One man's meat and all that,I can appreciate the intricacy and workmanship but 'poet of steel forms'?
It isn't doing it for me.
FWIW it would have to have some serious cycling advantages for me,to warrant the price tag and it's(as I see it)ugliness.

It doesn't have to 'do it for you'. Just because someone else wants something doesn't mean you have to. :roll:

But would if it were me buying it,that's what I meant,like a Vaya may not do it for you,it's a personal choice I was commenting on.
I never said one size/shape/colour fits all,just that I think the Moulton Pylon is ugly to my mind,your mind maybe different,Viva la difference!

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 4 Dec 2014, 2:38pm

I'll bet the woman in the Merc would still have cut Reohn2 up if she was driving an Austin Allegro… :shock: I drove various Mercs for about 20 years and never saw them as a status symbol, you arent even aware of being anything special, its just a car. Its bad people like her that are the problem.

Just reading this thread…… thinks… ..perhaps I should start a Classic/Top End bike hire company for aspiring cyclists to pedal their dreams? :D

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

beardy

Postby beardy » 4 Dec 2014, 2:40pm

Oh NO, to actually get your dream would ruin everything!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Dec 2014, 2:45pm

Thermostat9 wrote: Do you think wealthy people should not have toys?........

I don't think that's what's being debated and more the attitude that can come with wealth.
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Dec 2014, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Dec 2014, 2:50pm

al_yrpal wrote:I'll bet the woman in the Merc would still have cut Reohn2 up if she was driving an Austin Allegro… :shock:

Oh! without doubt,and TBH I dithered before mentioning the make,it's the ''I'm better than you because I'm bigger''(and therefore better) attitude that I'm getting at.
But TBH I've seen more of the nasty types driving high end cars than most,particularly high end 4x4's

Just reading this thread…… thinks… ..perhaps I should start a Classic/Top End bike hire company for aspiring cyclists to pedal their dreams? :D

Al

The customers would just trash 'em,look what we've done to the democracy dream :?

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 4 Dec 2014, 3:27pm

reohn2 wrote:The customers would just trash 'em,look what we've done to the democracy dream :?

??
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 4 Dec 2014, 3:42pm

Thermostat9 wrote:
mrjemm wrote:
reohn2 wrote:...but in a rich society people feel a need to show it off I suppose.

Really though, this is not confined to a rich society; it's base human nature and spread widely. As I see it, all levels of wealth throughout the world feel a need to show their superiority over fellow men. Status symbols are as big in poor societies as wealthy.

It pees me off that businesses, such as Moulton above, suck the teats of this concept dry. Increasing the cost of something clearly does not reduce the demand to the same level as it increases it's cachet/desireability. This process simply reduces the ownership of such products to the elite, who likely as not choose said items more for this percieved status than the enjoyment of use. Moulton's supposedly magical design and engineering is mute when the only relevant aspect of them is the value from parading ownership of such a highly priced possession.

Marketing. Speculation. Shallowness.

I can understand wanting something 'special' but sometimes these things are taken too far, and are just offensive.

Do you think wealthy people should not have toys?

I've ridden a Moulton New Series and I have a Moulton TSR, the difference as a bicycle is not that obvious, but as an object the New Series is way ahead. But I also have a completely restored 60's F-frame that only cost @£300 to do but that is also sublime and something I've 'created' and therefore perfect! :D

I have no issue witb rich folk having toys. My post does not say that.

Unlike R2 I am quite interest in the spaceframe design, and I don't decry success. It is the absolute level of vanity being pandered to and enabled, amongst other aspects that grate.

I fear either being unable to make my true feelings clear, or being taken out of context again, so I'll stop there.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Dec 2014, 7:09pm

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The customers would just trash 'em,look what we've done to the democracy dream :?

??

My post was a little flippant though if you speak to anyone who hires bikes they'll tell you a tale or two. But if you think this is a democracy think again as it most certainly isn't.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 4 Dec 2014, 7:37pm

Tell us why (on a new thread because this one was about something else), and it was fun…

Al

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 4 Dec 2014, 7:45pm

If money was not an issue, I'd ride my bike. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Dec 2014, 8:57pm

al_yrpal wrote:Tell us why (on a new thread because this one was about something else), and it was fun…

Al

About what?

Thermostat9

Postby Thermostat9 » 4 Dec 2014, 10:31pm

mrjemm wrote:It is the absolute level of vanity being pandered to and enabled, amongst other aspects that grate.

So why do you think wealthy people should not have toys?

MartinC

Postby MartinC » 5 Dec 2014, 8:45am

Vorpal wrote:If money was not an issue, I'd ride my bike. :wink:

Ohhhh! So true!

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 5 Dec 2014, 9:19am

Thermostat9 wrote:
mrjemm wrote:It is the absolute level of vanity being pandered to and enabled, amongst other aspects that grate.

So why do you think wealthy people should not have toys?

Do I laugh, or do I cry? :?