10,000 miles in a year finally

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

Re: 10,000 miles in a year finally

Post by hondated »

eileithyia congratulations how was it I just knew that you would do it. Not easy either on these icy roads.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:If you were free and single, had a pot of dosh in the bank, no ties, and no job to worry about, could you just go for a ride?
Could you just go?
Could you just pedal away, head for John O'Groates, turn round and head somewhere else?
Just keep .......... going?

Stay at B+Bs and hotels, get your gear laundered, your bike maintained, see the sights, meet people, and just ride ................ for years and years and years?

Freedom?

Yep.
I wish I was that lucky, but having read some blogs about some folk who just up and left and are still on the move years later. I haven't got the link, but one bloke left everything behind, ventured across the continents working odd jobs to fund food and so on and even met his wife while touring. She joined him and as far as I last read a few months ago, they're still touring. :)

Congratulations to NUKe and eileithyia :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

hondated wrote:eileithyia congratulations how was it I just knew that you would do it. Not easy either on these icy roads.

Cheers, got 43 in yesterday in some glorious sunshine but also a patch of very cold fog. Stuck to moderate main roads rather than smaller lanes and to be honest only ice I really saw was puddles in the kerbs.
Took my son out this morning, the lack of sunshine and a cold wind meant it felt a lot colder though we did not have much of a frost last night. Again stuck to busier routes and away from one lane where water has tendency to always run across it.

So now it starts again......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Ended up with 9008 always enjoyable miles (apart from regular close calls with motons). Totally goalless, just riding round in circles. But wish I'd put more effort in? :oops:

When I used to be a Longstaff trikie back in the early 90's there was an Irish chap who'd do regular year on year 3 wheeled 25000 miles - Pat Kenny (killed by a moton 2011) - he was an inspiration.

And as a chap (Vantage) on this very forum uses as his signature

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Amen :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nez dans le guidon wrote:How about this chap? A report by the ever readable Jack Thurston
http://blog.brooksengland.com/wps/ride- ... eat-x-365/
I wonder if this is the chap I was chatting to when I did my Cotswold Challenge Audax in May from Meriden.

I was riding for a while with someone from MK who had cycled to Meriden that morning (60miles?) and was doing the 100mile (160k) audax then cycling back to MK that same evening. I was a bit amazed at this :shock: and wished him well but glad it wasn't me doing it!

Although I can't remember him to look at specifically, he does have a similar look about him.

I must put a comment on his blog.
Mick F. Cornwall
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

10,514 :D :D :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:10,048

OK,you're excused go and party! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

reohn2 wrote:
eileithyia wrote:10,048

OK,you're excused go and party! :D

:lol: :lol:
Happy New Year to n yours xx
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:
:lol: :lol:
Happy New Year to n yours xx

I managed a paltry 4937miles,I'm find my solo riding is leaning more to rough stuff off road riding and our tandem mileage is greatly reduced due to Mrs R2's health problems.
Here's hoping for a better new year :D
W H Auden
hondated

Post by hondated »

Hardly paltry in my book 13 miles + a day. I hate to think how few I did in comparison now that is paltry.
Well done.
fretsaw

Post by fretsaw »

i managed 18000 miles back in 1998,at age 54;i had been unemployed,and was out most days.main towns were crackington haven,tavistock,moretonhampstead,okehampton,bude.top mileage was 110 miles;generally around 75 miles.i got sick of cycling after that year i bought a motor scooter! now back on the cycle,the scooter rusts;i became so unfit,i couldnt justify the motorised couch;now im doing 30 miles a day;quite sufficent.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pedalsheep wrote:10,514 :D :D :D

I somehow missed this post :?
Well done,it all starts again now,or did do 5 days ago :D
W H Auden
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Thankyou.
Yes, I'm back on the merry go round! :lol:
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
nez

Post by nez »

Yes I'm already 1000 miles behind record seeking Steve. I'll never do75000 miles... Or 50 or 20. In fact eileithya and pedal sheep and others feat looks like the top of a dizzy mountain of achievement to me!