Cycling into the sun

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mark a.

Cycling into the sun

Post by mark a. »

It's low sun straight ahead and wet roads, so there's tons of glare. Do you:

1) Carry on
2) Stop
3) Do something else that helps you not get run over by a car drive who can't see.

If (3), what is that magic trick, please?
SteveHunter

Re: Cycling into the sun

Post by SteveHunter »

3, stop at the pub, pie and chips and a pint. Carry on with lights after the sun has gone down.
Ron

Post by Ron »

...... or dismount, get bike and self off the road and walk to the pub :) .
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Carry on.
There's drivers who text, tweet, mess around with satnav and stereo's, smoking, drinking, telling their kids to be quiet, doing other naughty things behind the wheel and I don't stay off the roads for them.
If I stayed off the bike for every possible risk out there, I'd never get any cycling done.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

One would hope that if you get hit by a vehicle the Police Officer attending the scene would adequately asses how suitably prepared the driver was in driving in such conditions. Like, was he/she equipped with eyeware of a suitable specification and did he/she think to use that eyeware in conditions of glare?
I should coco.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Valbrona wrote:One would hope that if you get hit by a vehicle the Police Officer attending the scene would adequately asses how suitably prepared the driver was in driving in such conditions. Like, was he/she equipped with eyeware of a suitable specification and did he/she think to use that eyeware in conditions of glare?

and be driving at a suitable speed to take in the conditions, have a clean windscreen.
And remember it is not just the sun that you are cycling into that is a problem, the sun behind you with drivers looking toward you at junctions can also be an issue for them.... but again they should be using suitable caution and have a clean windscreen.

Personally i switch my light on when cycling into it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

+1 for switching your lights on
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

I've changed my approach since following the court case in my home town of a cyclist killed in Southampton and the driver claimed low sun - and was found not guilty of death by careless driving.

Now if I'm turning right and I'm likely to have to wait in the running lane, I will wait at the kerb for a space in the traffic. I also avoid busy routes in those conditions.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

reohn2 wrote:Buy one of these:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/smar ... lsrc=aw.ds

It is BRIGHT

I can believe that. I've had the 1/2 watt version for 2 or so years and it's like looking at the sun.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Valbrona wrote:One would hope that if you get hit by a vehicle the Police Officer attending the scene would adequately asses how suitably prepared the driver was in driving in such conditions. Like, was he/she equipped with eyeware of a suitable specification and did he/she think to use that eyeware in conditions of glare?

One would hope but....... https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei= ... killed+sun
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I try to pick up a car behind me, and keep them there....

Then I can stop watching the wing mirrors.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I went out late today, around 2pm, there was a bit of glare off the wet roads but it wasn't as bad as it has being. I've often put my slow rear flasher when the sun is ridiculously blinding but didn't today. 99.9% spot on driving only one idiot going too fast too close.
If you think about it too much you spoil your ride and it changes your behaviour pattern (& not for the better IMO), when it's your time it's your time, often there is bugger all you can do about it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tony
I didn't realise you were a fatalist :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Buy some x loop sunglasses from e bay and enjoy the day ...simples