What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

Re: What is gr8 about motorcycling?

Post by hondated »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
hondated wrote:
PaulB wrote:If you have never ridden a motorbike then I can well understand why such things would puzzle or even scare you. There is something about a motorcycle that bonds both rider and machine. Someone once said it was rather like a cowboy and his horse. The bike becomes an extension of your body. The smallest movement of the rider can affect how the motorcycle behaves. It is a very intimate experience. Speed is not the main point of a motorbike it's the lifestyle and the fact that not everyone likes the same things.

I have read people complaining about large numbers of motorcyclists causing congestion and being intimidating but they fail to mention the constant huge numbers of cars that cause congestion and kill thousands of people every year.

Cars are for people who cannot manage without training wheels.

There was a book written about the experience called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Bit of a difficult read but I could see what the author was getting at.

I'd say that was not so much about motorcycling as using motorcycling as a medium with which to explore philosophical ideas (such as Zen).

Wow ! Bmblbzzz you clearly have a better understanding than I did when I read it. I do remember it relates the movement of the bike to the feelings of the rider and how you are both in synch.
jb

Post by jb »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
hondated wrote:
PaulB wrote:If you have never ridden a motorbike then I can well understand why such things would puzzle or even scare you. There is something about a motorcycle that bonds both rider and machine. Someone once said it was rather like a cowboy and his horse. The bike becomes an extension of your body. The smallest movement of the rider can affect how the motorcycle behaves. It is a very intimate experience. Speed is not the main point of a motorbike it's the lifestyle and the fact that not everyone likes the same things.

I have read people complaining about large numbers of motorcyclists causing congestion and being intimidating but they fail to mention the constant huge numbers of cars that cause congestion and kill thousands of people every year.

Cars are for people who cannot manage without training wheels.

There was a book written about the experience called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Bit of a difficult read but I could see what the author was getting at.

I'd say that was not so much about motorcycling as using motorcycling as a medium with which to explore philosophical ideas (such as Zen).

As far as I remember it was a book about what 'Quality' actually meant.
Cheers
J Bro
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

jb wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:
hondated wrote:There was a book written about the experience called Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Bit of a difficult read but I could see what the author was getting at.

As far as I remember it was a book about what 'Quality' actually meant.

Yes, I think that's a more precise summary.