Any point in reporting a v v close pass?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Merry_Wanderer

Any point in reporting a v v close pass?

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I was riding back to my car in Nottingham last Saturday (after an Audax event) and was nearly wiped out by an idiot in a 4x4. The vehicle came from behind and was so close that I could have reached out and touched the bonnet. To be frank it scared the **** out of me. As I caught sight of it in my peripheral vision I involuntarily wobbled which meant a fast swerve by the driver to avoid me. Is there any point in reporting this to the police or am I wasting my time. I memorised the car number plate but have no witnesses
[XAP]Bob

Re: Any point in reporting a v v close pass?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Report it, but expect nothing.

Worth building a picture if the vehicle is repeatedly reported.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:As I caught sight of it in my peripheral vision I involuntarily wobbled which meant a fast swerve by the driver to avoid me.

I think it's worth getting a mirror if you haven't got one already. You will still get some close passes but most of the time you can create a lot more road space for yourself.

And no, this doesn't excuse the driver or blame you for his appalling lack of care.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Thanks both, I will get a mirror. Any recommendations?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

If you have video footage then it's worth reporting - even though nothing will happen. Without that then it's not worth it.
irc

Post by irc »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Thanks both, I will get a mirror. Any recommendations?

For drop bars the Blackburn Road Mirror.
horizon

Post by horizon »

+ 1
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

No easy answer to this. Try the BiB but don't expect much!

So I've been doing a bit of thinking about a possible long-term measure :idea: . You remember a thread a few months back, about some gadget that projects an image of a bicycle onto the road surface, a few yards ahead of the cyclist? Not a lot of use, I thought.

But what about a simple line laser, fixed so as to project a bright red line extending fore-and-aft along the carriageway, about a metre or two to the right of the cyclist? Might make the close-passing motorist think for an instant, especially at night. And thinking is just what we want these guys to do.

Trouble is, most of the commercially available line lasers, of the kind used by builders for levelling-up, are rather expensive, and/or may not be bright enough for this purpose, at least not in daylight. As it happens, my Contour vidcam contains a line laser, to help in levelling it up, but it's a very low-power affair.

Just a thought.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Not a bad thought. I was thinking a few minutes ago about attaching something to the back of the pannier rack like an old fashioned indicator of the type found on a 1950's Moggy Minor. Something to make the bike look wider
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There are commercial rear lights that do this already - to my mind they are all too narrow, and I can't imagine them competing with street and headlights, certainly not with the sun...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Not a bad thought. I was thinking a few minutes ago about attaching something to the back of the pannier rack like an old fashioned indicator of the type found on a 1950's Moggy Minor. Something to make the bike look wider

A lollipop? I don't think they work, sadly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Report it.
The police wont be able to do anything, unless they decide to 'have a word', but if this dangerous idiot does the same to someone else, or, heaven forbid, actually injures someone, the police will have evidence that the person has form for dangerous driving and may be more inclined to take stronger action.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please consider reporting it to the CTC Road Justice website too:

http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/report
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Most of us, I presume, suffer from very close passes at times. I'm quite an agressive rider and will try to maintain my space in traffic. If I'm in a situation where I think a close pass is likely, I've got into the habit of stretching my arm out from my body with a closed fist. Not indicating, but making myself a bit wider. It does work for me. A good old squiggle works as well, as if I'm a bad rider [probably true]. In Portugal when I was getting very close passes from Timber trucks constantly, I stopped and fastened a HI-Viz vest to the outside of my saddlebag so that once on the move it was billowing away in the breeze. Suprisingly effective.
I'm getting a bit bothered at the moment with these new [Prius?] electric cars that creep up on you. they are so silent. Im sure they are a danger to pedestrians, as so many peds step out in front of me on the bike, because they rely on their ears.
Last edited by bigjim on 10 May 2015, 8:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Cycling on Nottingham roads at anytime invokes an aggressive response from many indigenous motorists. The Police attitude is to criticise cyclists who attack innocent cars by striking them with their rear wheels and rolling about in front of them.
If only I was exaggerating!