Is it OK to stop traffic with a Pelican/Toucan?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

What do you do?

Safe: Trigger the lights. Take the bike path.
26%
Quick: Trigger the lights, stopping the traffic & enabling you to join. Take the road. This has a safety benefit of not being tail-gated by the car now waiting at the lights down the hill. May also cause road rage from driver who had to stop.
57%
Scary: Don't trigger the lights, join the traffic with potentially scary downhill & further lights to negotiate.
17%

Total votes: 23

Cunobelin

Re: Is it OK to stop traffic with a Pelican/Toucan?

Post by Cunobelin »

Kittens are far more effective

Most traffic will slow or stop for a kitten
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I do all three depending on traffic conditions.

Silly question really.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Encountered a Toucan today with the button stuck, not physically but somewhere in its electronic componentry.

As soon as the motor lane light returned to green, the amber "wait" would fire up spontaneously and shortly after the motor lane light would go red. Then the process would start all over again. Lovely.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:Kittens are far more effective

Most traffic will slow or stop for a kitten

Not all by a long way, according to the number of posts on local social media mourning dead pets :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

gaz wrote:Encountered a Toucan today with the button stuck, not physically but somewhere in its electronic componentry.

As soon as the motor lane light returned to green, the amber "wait" would fire up spontaneously and shortly after the motor lane light would go red. Then the process would start all over again. Lovely.

Hahaha, sounds fantastic, I got really annoyed at the local council putting in a pedestrian crossing in place of a separated zebra in the town centre, so now motorists have priority instead of pedestrians, I just press the button even if I don't need to cross because I know in a few seconds there will be someone who has to wait to cross.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The utility cyclist wrote:
gaz wrote:Encountered a Toucan today with the button stuck, not physically but somewhere in its electronic componentry.

Hahaha, sounds fantastic, I got really annoyed at the local council putting in a pedestrian crossing in place of a separated zebra in the town centre, so now motorists have priority instead of pedestrians, I just press the button even if I don't need to cross because I know in a few seconds there will be someone who has to wait to cross.

+1 I always do that, sometimes when I have time to spare I loiter by the button for a while and press it each time the lights change
Is that loitering within tent? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There are some (many? most?) two-stage crossings which "anticipate", so if you press the button on side 1, when you get to the central island, the button for the next stage is illuminated without anyone pushing it.
Ric2013

Post by Ric2013 »

If turning left onto a road from a cycle crossing I would always press the button on the grounds that failing to do so would IMO consititute jumping a red light. Given that there is no law to prevent me using the road and no NO LEFT TURN sign, I can't see a problem with turning left at a crossing. SO I chose #2.

Now I'll read the other answers...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Alternative: Write to the local highways authority and explain that cyclists shouldn't have to choose between safety and convenience.

For what it's worth, if I felt comfortable on the road, I'd probably mainly use the road, rather than the cycle path. If possible, I would avoid times of day that traffic was heavy. If I didn't like the roundabout, I guess, I'd have to weigh how much I disliked it. the cycle path looks, on the map, like a nice bypass for the roundabout, if I was going that way. Of course, if it's a typical, bumpy, poorly maintained sort of cycle path, the roundabout would have to be *really* bad get me to use the path. I might take a different route altogether, rather than chossing between bad & worse.

p.s. it's perfectly okay to use a pelican to get onto the road, even if motorists think it's 'unfair'. they do it all the time. That's what stoplights are.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PRL

Post by PRL »

Bmblbzzz wrote:There are some (many? most?) two-stage crossings which "anticipate", so if you press the button on side 1, when you get to the central island, the button for the next stage is illuminated without anyone pushing it.

Does anyone know if this is some sort of standard ? - it certainly ought to be.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PRL wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:There are some (many? most?) two-stage crossings which "anticipate", so if you press the button on side 1, when you get to the central island, the button for the next stage is illuminated without anyone pushing it.

Does anyone know if this is some sort of standard ? - it certainly ought to be.

Presumably there are some guidelines at least, but I don't know them. It's just something I've observed in practice.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ric2013 wrote:If turning left onto a road from a cycle crossing I would always press the button on the grounds that failing to do so would IMO consititute jumping a red light. Given that there is no law to prevent me using the road and no NO LEFT TURN sign, I can't see a problem with turning left at a crossing. SO I chose #2.

Now I'll read the other answers...

It is not jumping a red light because there is no law against using a crossing on a red light, nor should there be.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:It is not jumping a red light because there is no law against using a crossing on a red light, nor should there be.

True for toucans which are the subject of the discussion, not for cycle only crossings (which are comparatively few and far between, at least in these parts).
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I just wish there were one type of crossing and all gave priority to pedestrians and cyclists/horses wanting to cross (or join the carriageway) - effectively a zebra crossing with lights.
A local crossing "went wrong" a year or so ago so that it responded about 5 secs after the button was pressed ie the traffic detection part didn't work.
As the motor traffic speed over distance averages about 15-20mph it seemed to make little overall difference to the motor traffic journey time. It was very good for pedestrians. :D :D Sadly it was "fixed" so that pedestrians must have the obligatory 30sec+ wait. :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Ric2013

Post by Ric2013 »

Don't get me started on horses. They never were the default mode of transport and, in the old days, one had to be very rich indeed to be able to afford one. It gets me that while a car requires a licence and MOT, no such thing is required for a horse.