First Sportive question

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RiffmasterII

First Sportive question

Post by RiffmasterII »

Im new to cycling and have less than 12 months under my belt, Im looking at doing my first Sportive event this Saturday but one of the hills bothers me, I rode it today to see how I would get on but at 18% gradient I had to get off half way and walk up it.

My question is when doing a sportive do many people walk up hills? I will be fine with the others just need more time in my legs to get up this beast
David881

Re: First Sportive question

Post by David881 »

I wouldn't worry about it. If you have to walk, walk, no shame. :D

I've only ever done one sportive. It had a climb up Red Bank near Grasmere within a mile or so of the start' hardly time to warm up and then a 20% climb. Plenty were walking. I struggled on to the top but regretted it for much of the ride, suffering from a niggling back.
RiffmasterII

Post by RiffmasterII »

Thanks David, maybe I should just give it a go, the extra pressure of cycling with people might push me to the top anyway!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

People generally understand that walking up hills is mostly lack of low enough gears, and not some kind of embarrassing fitness-failure.
I should coco.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

There are lots of pix around of sportives where there are people walking up a steep hill, don't worry about it..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jamesbradbury

Post by jamesbradbury »

Some people think that it's a good idea to walk up steep hills to save leg power for later and to use some different muscles.

It's not cheating to walk. It's cheating to get a bus!
GranvilleThomas

Post by GranvilleThomas »

Nothing wrong with walking, I don't go anywhere without a triple on the front these days with a 22 tooth granny, but still get off and walk on occasions.

Have a look at this recently posted video (not by me) from last Sundays Velothon Wales - loads of people walking up Caerphilly mountain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3BLhJpUsI

Bit of a stiff clime after 80 miles in the legs mind you!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I hate walking up hills but that doesn't mean i don't do it when i run out of legs! A hill i can easily climb when i'm fresh might be a different matter after 80 miles! :?

You aren't doing it to try and kill yourself (i hope) but rather for enjoyment, that means sometimes the ego has to go in the pocket and a short walk is in order - no one is gonna sneer at you or think less of you :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
GranvilleThomas wrote:Nothing wrong with walking, I don't go anywhere without a triple on the front these days with a 22 tooth granny, but still get off and walk on occasions.

Have a look at this recently posted video (not by me) from last Sundays Velothon Wales - loads of people walking up Caerphilly mountain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3BLhJpUsI

Bit of a stiff clime after 80 miles in the legs mind you!

Not bad.........you'le be doing the Dartmoor classic then........... :)
Similar to Haytor maybe a tad shorter but same inclne.
Peeking at 183 is not bad, you over 50 :?:
50 cadence is a bit of a grinder.
Guy in white shorts,I swear you were going to catch him.......or not :lol:

Seriously walking on steep stuff saves energy.
But sportives are flat out so pace and fitness take there toll on the first timers................

Great.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.