The folder revelation and results so far

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
manybikes

Re: The folder revelation and results so far

Postby manybikes » 2 Sep 2015, 10:27am

I have a bike friday which I use less than I though I would. However when I rode from Frankfurt to Munich via the Romantic Road and the Bavarian Alps I found it comfortable and able to carry full camping kit.
Why did I take the folder? The only way to get a bike n the ICE train because a standard size and shaped frame could not be made small enough even with wheels and mudguards removed.

horizon

Postby horizon » 2 Sep 2015, 10:36am

I still find it painful to read that such a marvellous invention as the bicycle has to be stripped of its true potential by the shortsightedness of the railway companies. A bike that is taken for short hops on the road and then on and off trains and buses and into hotel rooms may be acceptable as a folder but not one that really is going to be used for long rides. I'm marvelling at my folder for what it can do in the role it has been given (maximum 10 miles) not because it feels as able as a full size bike. I went out for a quick spin on my 700c Horizon yesterday - the difference was amazing. Horses for courses but I don't like the fact that the railway companies dictate which horse.

BTW, an ICE train is about 200 metres long and weighs 400 tons. Somewhere somewhere is living in cloud-cuckoo land. And it isn't you.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

Si

Postby Si » 2 Sep 2015, 7:15pm

niggle wrote:Still got my Pacific Reach. which I am supposed to be selling but am dragging my heels for some reason. A couple of years ago I tried a drop bar conversion using Ergos which I had bought for a planned tourer build in the future. It was awesome and I do keep thinking about going back and doing the conversion over again, like this but black and white frame:

I really wish I'd bought one when they were more easily acquired. But at the time I'd had three frames from the same maker that ad fallen apart under me so was a bit put off. However, I've had two other frames from them that took no end of punishment without complaint.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 2 Sep 2015, 7:25pm

horizon wrote:I still find it painful to read that such a marvellous invention as the bicycle has to be stripped of its true potential by the shortsightedness of the railway companies. A bike that is taken for short hops on the road and then on and off trains and buses and into hotel rooms may be acceptable as a folder but not one that really is going to be used for long rides. I'm marvelling at my folder for what it can do in the role it has been given (maximum 10 miles) not because it feels as able as a full size bike. I went out for a quick spin on my 700c Horizon yesterday - the difference was amazing. Horses for courses but I don't like the fact that the railway companies dictate which horse.

But that is the real world we live in even in bike friendly Europe. And it needn't be a limitation, just as with everything else you need the right bike. As the previous poster, I too have a Bike Friday and its quite capable of doing long rides - longest I've done on it is 100 miles. It rides almost like a full sized road bike and was specifically designed so US riders could put it in a suitcase and take on a plane (without all the sky high bicycle costs of US airlines) and ride it as well as their full size at the destination. It doesn't fold nearly as well as the Brompton but unless pushed I would not plan to do much more than 10-15 miles on my Brommie.

horizon

Postby horizon » 2 Sep 2015, 8:55pm

I think the folder is a good compromise and bikes AFAIK like the Joey hardly a compromise at all. But there really is room on a 200 metre long train for a couple of full size bicycles - unless of course you are totally fixated on a forty something white male in a grey suit carrying a small attache case on his way to a bankers' meeting in Frankfurt. Which they are. No compromise there - the compromise is one way.

However I do take your point and my folder odyssey is not over yet: I intend to upgrade to get the gears and even the new seatpost will do wonders! I intend to give folders a fair trial.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

niggle

Postby niggle » 3 Sep 2015, 4:14pm

Have done a couple of 100k audaxes on my Reach, and that was with straight bars, no problem and the suspension probably helped.