the worst drivers?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

the worst drivers?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

someone wrote that the drivers in Malvern are the worst of all, can that be true? They ignore all the rules, but anyone who drives in Malvern can do hill starts, and is maybe quite skilled in theory.

Where are the worst drivers of all? In the lowlands?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
jezer

Re: the worst drivers?

Post by jezer »

The worst drivers are in ............ (Insert the name of your town) :lol:
Power to the pedals
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

...their graves.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Not a question of where, but what......

.....almost without exception a bad driver will behind the wheel of an Audi, BMW, Merc, 4x4 (in that order)
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Depends how you define “worst”: at the physical skills of driving a car? Judgment and decision-making? Attitude towards other road users? Knowledge of and adherence to the Highway Code?

London is easily the most lawless part of Britain I’ve ever ridden in, just for routine red-light jumping, failure to stop at zebra crossings, parking on double yellows, sticking the car’s nose out three feet beyond the stop line when waiting to pull out into traffic, &c &c &c. But I’m not sure if that increases actual danger so much as the feeling the roads are dangerous. Commuter-belt Surrey and Essex, on the other hand, are full of idiots tearing around winding country lanes at 50+mph. The worst attitude towards cyclists I’ve ever come across was in Exeter, where in the space of a hundred meters four or five drivers screamed abuse at us for ignoring a dreadful on-pavement farcility and riding in traffic (which was moving at a snail’s pace anyway). Take your pick…
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I was discussing this in a passing conversation with another cyclist. We were on about how inconsiderate some of our drivers are and I made a sweeping statement. I said as much as one should not stereotype that in the thousands of miles I've cycled ( and also when in my car too as it covers both ) the car that stands out as being common to most close shaves I've had or seen has been......... ( no not the one I'm driving ) the Audi in all its forms, but barring the 70's classics. I think it's because Audis, which are excellent well engineered cars, have sadly become fashion items/trinkets acquired by the same egotistical, peer group induced inferiority complex, status conscious types as those who queue for a month waiting for the next iphone. Range Rovers and SUV's also seem to be similarly selfishly driven.
What triggered me into discussing the subject was an audi TT that last week overshot the blind corner I was cycling into, its tyres were screeching you could smell the brakes and the driver had to make a sudden correction to avoid running into me. Had I been part of a group ride or if there was a family walking behind me then there'd most likely have been a bad accident. The driver of the mid-blue metallic TT must live in warkworth beside my home and surprisingly he wasn't 25 but about 55! I suspect his passenger may not have been impressed by his idiotic performance, hopefully theres a tree or lampost with his name on it :wink:
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

..... the most expensive cars
ian s

Post by ian s »

Slightly off the point of the thread, for whilst I would agree that Audi drivers are probably as bad as any, I would disagree with the assertion that Audi's are well engineered; well marketed VAG tat would seem like a better description, and driven by the gullible advert believing egotistical types, hence the quality of the driving
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Are the ones who think they are the better than everyone else.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Like the Police Class 1 drivers and all those who have taken (and passed) the Advanced Test. :mrgreen:
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

The worst?.............................the one's in front of you!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:...their graves.

Well not necessarily with car safety for the occupants being better than they've ever been,most drivers walk away from bad crashes that one time killed them.Nowadays it's the vulnerable road user who is more likely to be killed or seriously injured.
I'd have to say that the worst drivers are still driving,after a (possible) short ban depending on how good their lawyer is,which is a pity :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I wonder who's going to be the first to answer this topic with:

......."myself"

:?:

This may be seen as a bit tongue-in-cheek, OK, but there's some sense behind it. Probably most people believe they're a good driver - it's pretty much hard-wired into human nature to think so. Speaking personally, I recognise that I sometimes make mistakes. Luckily I can usually correct them before they lead to trouble. As I get older, I recognise that I have to be constantly aware of the possibility of lapses in my driving, and to notice them in good time. Does such self-awareness make me a better driver? I must leave that judgement to others.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:I wonder who's going to be the first to answer this topic with:
......."myself"
I must say that as I've got older - 63 soon - my driving has suffered. I'm an advanced driver and take a pride in my driving, but I'm noticing that I'm not as good as I once was.

This is a sort of Good Thing, because I'm aware of my shortcomings and take notice of them and try to drive even more carefully. It's a pity that other drivers aren't aware of their own shortcomings.

None of us are perfect.
I used to be, but I'm not any more, and I admit it.
Mick F. Cornwall