Countryside opening hours

Anything specific to off-road riding.
Cunobelin

Re: Countryside opening hours

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Aug 2018, 10:13am

brynpoeth wrote:"may" or "can"? :wink:

Either ....

The use of may be was intended as "I have no clue as to which areas are or are not permissible, so there "may be" some areas that can be restricted

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Aug 2018, 10:26am

We had an interesting one with Bath Lane Recreation Ground in Fareham

It is a cycle;e route that avoids a fast 4 lane road between the A27 and A32

However the Council then put up "NO cycling signs on a sign adjacent the ones indicating the cycle route.

Took about 3 months to get "No Golfing taped across the top of the "No Cycling" part

However it took a further year to get the Cricket Club to understand that the Cycle Track was NOT an area to place their spectator seats, scoring tables and the massive great Scoring board

It was not uncommon to have thirty people standing, sitting in chairs or loungers.

Labrat

Postby Labrat » 24 Aug 2018, 8:48pm

Categorically - the signs cannot limit times of access to the rights of way.

Theres a strong argument that the signs may constitute an offence under S57 NP Act https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/97/section/57

The mention of Amey sounds odd - I suspect someone has passed you on to Highways dept (roads) rather than the rights of way department

Redrhino

Postby Redrhino » 14 Sep 2018, 8:53am

Thanks for all the comments. I have a response from the Gloucestershire Public Rights of Way (PROW) officer.

He writes that the Bathurst Estate acknowledge that they cannot restrict use of PROW but ”They are trying to establish a measure of control over the permissive paths and bridleways on the estate without wishing to curtail use of those recorded on the Definitive Map”.

I can see the distinction: private land owners can choose to permit access to their land on their terms, whilst public rights of way are inviolate.
It’s a shame such a misleading sign is allowed to be kept in place. I am told by the officer that it has been there for 10 years.

PH

Postby PH » 14 Sep 2018, 11:32am

I'm still unclear if that sign is on a PROW or a permissive bridleway, if it's on the former then is shouldn't be signed as if it were the latter and I wouldn't accept the response you've received.

Redrhino

Postby Redrhino » 14 Sep 2018, 6:38pm

The sign is on a normal public access bridleway. Once in the woods there are informal tracks all over the place - I can imagine that these are permissive.

I see your point. If the land owner and the PROW officer agree that the sign is wrong, why are they still there?