Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 27 Oct 2020, 3:05pm

What do you think is he best option for getting there by train and bike, while avoiding time spent on busy roads? I've looked at the different rail options, and I've come to the conclusion that Stonegate is the best, nearest, station to cycle from. Thoughts? I'm sure someone must have done this. I'm coming from north Kent.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14113
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby gaz » 27 Oct 2020, 3:37pm

In my admitedly not recent experience the key road to avoid is the A21. As such I'd say you are better off approaching from either Paddock Wood or Marden. The latter is a little closer but may have fewer train services.
Missing, presumed fed.

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 27 Oct 2020, 4:04pm

The plan I'd worked out was to alight at Stonegate, use a route through Ticehurst, following the road to the crossroads, then follow the A road (using the adjacent pavement) to where I can see the start of a bridleway at the southern part of the forest.

I wasn't sure how the busy the roads were between the other stations and Bedgebury, so I thought that was my best option. But I've just looked on Google Maps again, and it's come up with a route from Paddock Wood station, that uses NCN 18(which runs right through the centre of the forest) for the majority of the route. That looks like it might be my best option. I can get to PW quicker and easier than Stonegate too.

User avatar
LinusR
Posts: 442
Joined: 24 May 2017, 7:27pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby LinusR » 29 Oct 2020, 10:50am

bungle73 wrote:The plan I'd worked out was to alight at Stonegate, use a route through Ticehurst, following the road to the crossroads, then follow the A road (using the adjacent pavement) to where I can see the start of a bridleway at the southern part of the forest.

I wasn't sure how the busy the roads were between the other stations and Bedgebury, so I thought that was my best option. But I've just looked on Google Maps again, and it's come up with a route from Paddock Wood station, that uses NCN 18(which runs right through the centre of the forest) for the majority of the route. That looks like it might be my best option. I can get to PW quicker and easier than Stonegate too.


Paddock Wood does appear to be the best option - mostly quiet lanes through the orchards to the forest. Are you going there to ride the trails, or just nature interest. Just curious as I was thinking of making a visit there as Paddock Wood is easy for me, too. Is it mostly gravel forest tracks apart from the singletrack red route? And can you cycle on all of them or are most restricted to walkers only?

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 29 Oct 2020, 6:02pm

LinusR wrote:
bungle73 wrote:The plan I'd worked out was to alight at Stonegate, use a route through Ticehurst, following the road to the crossroads, then follow the A road (using the adjacent pavement) to where I can see the start of a bridleway at the southern part of the forest.

I wasn't sure how the busy the roads were between the other stations and Bedgebury, so I thought that was my best option. But I've just looked on Google Maps again, and it's come up with a route from Paddock Wood station, that uses NCN 18(which runs right through the centre of the forest) for the majority of the route. That looks like it might be my best option. I can get to PW quicker and easier than Stonegate too.


Paddock Wood does appear to be the best option - mostly quiet lanes through the orchards to the forest. Are you going there to ride the trails, or just nature interest. Just curious as I was thinking of making a visit there as Paddock Wood is easy for me, too. Is it mostly gravel forest tracks apart from the singletrack red route? And can you cycle on all of them or are most restricted to walkers only?


Mainly the trails, as I said I've been inspired by the YT videos I've watched; but I'll probably take a look around elsewhere while I'm there too

Tbh I've never been, which why I want to go. I see several bridleways on the OS map, I don't know what they're like. From what I've read the Forestry Commission have an open access policy for cycling on their property - there is another of their forests closer to me, which I have been to, but it has no waymarked trails. AFAIK the only bit you can't cycle in is the National Pinetum part.

I found this handy map: http://www.boarsonbikes.co.uk/wp-conten ... stJuly.pdf

I don't know how up to date it is though.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14113
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby gaz » 30 Oct 2020, 9:14pm

It'll be 8-10 years since my last car assisted visits to Bedgebury, when I rode the family trails with the local CTC family group. All well surfaced wide gravel tracks, some of the gradients not the family friendliest. Map certainly reflects the park back then, I'd doubt much has changed.

More years than I can recall since I rode NCN18 through Bedgebury. It wasn't NCN back then. Wide muddy track through a working forest, no idea how it compares now.
Missing, presumed fed.

User avatar
LinusR
Posts: 442
Joined: 24 May 2017, 7:27pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby LinusR » 3 Nov 2020, 11:12am

bungle73 wrote:
LinusR wrote:
bungle73 wrote:The plan I'd worked out was to alight at Stonegate, use a route through Ticehurst, following the road to the crossroads, then follow the A road (using the adjacent pavement) to where I can see the start of a bridleway at the southern part of the forest.

I wasn't sure how the busy the roads were between the other stations and Bedgebury, so I thought that was my best option. But I've just looked on Google Maps again, and it's come up with a route from Paddock Wood station, that uses NCN 18(which runs right through the centre of the forest) for the majority of the route. That looks like it might be my best option. I can get to PW quicker and easier than Stonegate too.


Paddock Wood does appear to be the best option - mostly quiet lanes through the orchards to the forest. Are you going there to ride the trails, or just nature interest. Just curious as I was thinking of making a visit there as Paddock Wood is easy for me, too. Is it mostly gravel forest tracks apart from the singletrack red route? And can you cycle on all of them or are most restricted to walkers only?


Mainly the trails, as I said I've been inspired by the YT videos I've watched; but I'll probably take a look around elsewhere while I'm there too

Tbh I've never been, which why I want to go. I see several bridleways on the OS map, I don't know what they're like. From what I've read the Forestry Commission have an open access policy for cycling on their property - there is another of their forests closer to me, which I have been to, but it has no waymarked trails. AFAIK the only bit you can't cycle in is the National Pinetum part.

I found this handy map: http://www.boarsonbikes.co.uk/wp-conten ... stJuly.pdf

I don't know how up to date it is though.


Thanks for all that. Useful to know for when travel is relaxed again.

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 4 Nov 2020, 7:26pm

I looked again at Paddock Wood, and that route involves a significant amount of climbing. Now I'm wondering if my original option of Stonegate is the best option............

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 9 Nov 2020, 2:46pm

Mr brother's offered to take me to Bedgebury on Wednesday in his car. Unlike me, he's actually been there before.

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 23 Nov 2020, 4:19pm

We ended going today. Had a great time. Didn't get too muddy. Hardly at all in fact.

I think for this sort of thing I may swap my clips for flats though. Although clips do keep me in on rough sections, and I find it makes pedally sections easier.

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 23 Nov 2020, 4:22pm

TBH I can't decide clips or flats. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. Clips are what I used on the road bike, and I've used them for a few years now, so I'm used to them.

bungle73
Posts: 130
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 10:19pm

Re: Getting to Bedgebury Forest Sans Car?

Postby bungle73 » 23 Nov 2020, 5:57pm

I did end up walking some features though - I need more confidence, and the late autumn conditions didn't exactly inspire that.

We plan to go again some time.