Downslink closed north of Southwater for 6 weeks

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
squeaker

Downslink closed north of Southwater for 6 weeks

Post by squeaker »

See below :evil:

Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of Southwater than I can offer a sensible detour, as I very much doubt that WSCC will suggest one, based on previous performance.
DLclosedMayJune21.jpg
"42"
matt_twam_asi

Re: Downslink closed north of Southwater for 6 weeks

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Thanks for the info squeaker. A large chunk of that section was surfaced with the usual gravelly stuff only a couple of years ago. :?
squeaker wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 7:10pm Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of Southwater than I can offer a sensible detour, as I very much doubt that WSCC will suggest one, based on previous performance.
If it's possible to get off the Downs Link at Southwater Sports Club then definitely do that (I'll try to check soon after the 5th May). If not then leave at the Bax Castle and go along Marlpost Road, Bonfire Hill, & Church Lane.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

matt_twam_asi wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:13pm Thanks for the info squeaker. A large chunk of that section was surfaced with the usual gravelly stuff only a couple of years ago. :?

If it's possible to get off the Downs Link at Southwater Sports Club then definitely do that (I'll try to check soon after the 5th May). If not then leave at the Bax Castle and go along Marlpost Road, Bonfire Hill, & Church Lane.
With a clearly unsuitable surface (taken by a friend)
Oct20Southwater.jpg
Just had this from WSCC: 'I’m afraid that on this occasion that Rights of Way Officer has stated that there is no alternative route available.' so I hope something more user friendly than Church Road etc. will work...
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

squeaker wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 1:17pm Just had this from WSCC: 'I’m afraid that on this occasion that Rights of Way Officer has stated that there is no alternative route available.' so I hope something more user friendly than Church Road etc. will work...
Would they dare close a carriageway with no diversion? Has last year's DfT statutory instruction to manage the network to support active travel yet to change WSCC's bad habits? Can you make any candidates in next week's elections squirm? Write to your MPs asking DfT to enforce?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mjr wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 2:09pm Can you make any candidates in next week's elections squirm?
I'm a candidate ;) But I do share your thoughts!
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

From someone at WSCC who should know:
The section you refer to will be resurfaced as part of works being undertaken by Berkeley Homes. In addition, PRoW have reiterated the need to provide a suitable crossfall/camber to avoid future issues and have offered to advise the developer where necessary.

The barriers are too narrowly spaced and should not have been installed at this location. I gather they are due to be removed as part of the works too.
"42"
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

matt_twam_asi wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:13pm Thanks for the info squeaker. A large chunk of that section was surfaced with the usual gravelly stuff only a couple of years ago. :?
squeaker wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 7:10pm Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of Southwater than I can offer a sensible detour, as I very much doubt that WSCC will suggest one, based on previous performance.
Southbound it should be easy to see from the downslink if you can get as far as the Sports Ground and then through onto Church Lane. There's also a short section of footpath through to Church Lane at the start of the closure which might be usable by considerate cyclists in these circumstances- there's a gate at one end but no idea if it has stiles in the middle section.

Another option is to head a mile north up the Worthing Road from the centre of Southwater and pick up the east west Bridleway through to the grounds of Christ's Hospital. Worthing Road is reasonably busy but it's wide with a 30 or 40 limit and there is a pavement which might be handy especially if you are cycling with kids.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Well, the good news is that the path is only closed between Eames View and Kensett Avenue, so it's a quick and easy detour on those roads. I'm not sure why WSCC couldn't have confirmed that with squeaker (rhetorical question ;)). At least they are getting rid of the useless anti-cyclist barriers.
The extent of the closed route is wildly inaccurate, ignore it!
The extent of the closed route is wildly inaccurate, ignore it!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Thanks, Matt :)
"42"