Ortlieb fork pack

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
nick12

Ortlieb fork pack

Post by nick12 »

Have been looking at new bags and options and came across the fork pack which look like they could be a lightweight option for off-road .
Was wondering if anybody has tried them out how durable they are compared to a drybag and cage setup.
TimeTraveller

Re: Ortlieb fork pack

Post by TimeTraveller »

bike touring mike on youtube has some on his setup maybe his vids could help

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClhTpH14hALl_c6HXFhttew
Last edited by TimeTraveller on 8 Mar 2021, 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete... I think
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks for the link time traveller..
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote:Have been looking at new bags and options and came across the fork pack which look like they could be a lightweight option for off-road .
Was wondering if anybody has tried them out how durable they are compared to a drybag and cage setup.

I don't know them.
But was wondering how they might compare to these.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BAPODTFBL ... -(55-litre)-with-cage-and-ties
Two for £37 with all mounting.
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Thanks sweep they don't look too shabby and alot cheaper too.
Looking to attach sleeping mat and sleeping bag for some off road riding in the summer.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote:Thanks sweep they don't look too shabby and alot cheaper too.
Looking to attach sleeping mat and sleeping bag for some off road riding in the summer.

I have a set.
They look quite well made and I have heard some good reports of them in use - either on here on cchat.
I have also been well pleased with various Podsac drybags and packing aids I have used before.
I haven't fitted let alone ridden with mine loaded yet though so can't report back on that.
Roll on lockdown easing - have plans to try them with a new build I am doing.
Sweep
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I've been wondering about those PODSAC and similar fork bags; specifically their attachment to the fork and how secure it is.
Ideally, they would attach to threaded inserts brazed to the fork. But if the bike doesn't have them and one can't stretch to the expense of having them installed, the default solution seems to be zip ties, or jubilee clips, neither of which I would trust not to migrate down a tapered fork blade and/or rotate into the front front wheel with unfortunate consequences for bike and rider.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nick12 wrote: 8 Mar 2021, 6:57pm Looking to attach sleeping mat and sleeping bag for some off road riding in the summer.
jimlews wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:08pm I've been wondering about those PODSAC and similar fork bags; specifically their attachment to the fork and how secure it is.
Ideally, they would attach to threaded inserts brazed to the fork. But if the bike doesn't have them and one can't stretch to the expense of having them installed, the default solution seems to be zip ties, or jubilee clips, neither of which I would trust not to migrate down a tapered fork blade and/or rotate into the front front wheel with unfortunate consequences for bike and rider.
I've strapped long thin luggage to the fork but with a front rack fitted. How do the fork packs avoid rotating around the fork? Same question as jimlews.

Thanks

Jonathan
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Ideally you need inserts on the forks. I still haven't bought any but my surly troll which I'm planning to fit them has all the attachments required. On with making my own first and see how it goes as I'm not looking to use that set up permanently.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

Looking forward to your conclusions.

Jonathan
nick12

Post by nick12 »

You can get brackets for attaching racks to forks which don't have inserts too I think tubus make them I have a couple of pairs which came with some tortec front racks.
Attachments
IMG_20210516_133357_9.jpg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nick12 wrote: 16 May 2021, 1:38pm You can get brackets for attaching racks to forks which don't have inserts too I think tubus make them I have a couple of pairs which came with some tortec front racks.
yes I have some of the tubus ones - perfectly solid.

Haven't yet fitted/ridden with my planet X fork bags - will report back when I do.
The forks on that bike don't have a threaded braze-on but there is a hole through the forks I could probably rig something with to remove any chance of the packs rotating. In any case, jubilee clips are very solid. Just think about all the industrial applications of them,
Sweep
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Tapered forks could be an issue with jubilee clips but some thing could be rigged up to provent them sliding down using canti bosses maybe.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I have double inserts on my forks so have used those with my podsac cages & bags. But each bag & cage comes with some sticky-backed rubber strips plus both a pair of jubilee clips & zip ties.

I'm finding I use the podsac bags a fair bit. The cages aren't heavy or bulky to just leave on the forks & the bags will fold up quite small so I sometimes stick them in my seat bag as a just in case I want to get a few odds & ends if I'm heading past the shops.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Just ordered a pair of the podsac fork bags 30% of at the moment shall see how they go.