Today I realised my true mountain bike rides are over

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Stevek76

Re: Today I realised my true mountain bike rides are over

Post by Stevek76 »

I've found one sided pedals to be annoying, all too often the side you want isn't the one your foot lands on, though obviously less of an issue on a road bike than a mtb.

MTBing in flats will take a little getting used to if you're used to clips, consider multi-release cleats and dialing down the tension on the pedals as a compromise if you've not already done that.
offroader wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 11:03pm I don't know how weather conditions have been oop naarth but down in the New Forest it's become quite challenging. This is common down here after a prolonged dry spell
yea, same over here, went out yesterday and had to drop pressures a little and still had some slippy fun up some rocks. Autumn is always the worst time of year for traction I find (ignoring actual ice, but we don't get much of that down here), a summer's worth of moss & lichen plus falling leaves plus rain.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I use traditional ‘toe shovels’ on my touring bike and flat pedals on my utility/green lane bike, I’ve used that arrangement for years and find no confusion. Toe clips can help you get the best output from your legs (well I believe so) but lack of them has never been particularly important to me and being able to put your foot down quickly has value. ‘Toe shovels’ and flats allow use of normal shoes and that has value to me; so that you can get your shoe into them ‘toe shovels’ need to be flicked around on the pedal’s axle - not so hard but sometimes a fiddly thing to do.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Carlton green wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 4:27pm I use traditional ‘toe shovels’ on my touring bike and flat pedals on my utility/green lane bike, I’ve used that arrangement for years and find no confusion. Toe clips can help you get the best output from your legs (well I believe so) but lack of them has never been particularly important to me and being able to put your foot down quickly has value. ‘Toe shovels’ and flats allow use of normal shoes and that has value to me; so that you can get your shoe into them ‘toe shovels’ need to be flicked around on the pedal’s axle - not so hard but sometimes a fiddly thing to do.
.....Next to impossible if you are forging through the heather on a sheep-track.....toe-clips of any sort are always behind you dragging on the undergrowth.. Double-sided SPDs for me, every day.

And I agree.....if you can't ride up the steep bits, then walk up them. Why deny yourself access to the tracks beyond the steep bits? But then, I view "riding off-road" as a variant of touring
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

531colin wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 6:34pm
Carlton green wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 4:27pm I use traditional ‘toe shovels’ on my touring bike and flat pedals on my utility/green lane bike, I’ve used that arrangement for years and find no confusion. Toe clips can help you get the best output from your legs (well I believe so) but lack of them has never been particularly important to me and being able to put your foot down quickly has value. ‘Toe shovels’ and flats allow use of normal shoes and that has value to me; so that you can get your shoe into them ‘toe shovels’ need to be flicked around on the pedal’s axle - not so hard but sometimes a fiddly thing to do.
.....Next to impossible if you are forging through the heather on a sheep-track.....toe-clips of any sort are always behind you dragging on the undergrowth.. Double-sided SPDs for me, every day.

And I agree.....if you can't ride up the steep bits, then walk up them. Why deny yourself access to the tracks beyond the steep bits? But then, I view "riding off-road" as a variant of touring
Ah, if off-road riding is a variant of someone’s touring then depending on the type of off-road they might well be better off not using ‘toe shovels’ on their touring bike. I like a bit of green lane riding and I like toe clips on a touring bike but my touring bike so rarely sees overgrown tracks that the issues doesn’t really arise. So a matter of personal preference in terms of what the individual finds works for them - for their needs, their skills, their terrain, etc.

There’s always a time for getting off and walking; that was counterintuitive to me but I’ve found it to be so and I’ve found that it actually adds to my enjoyment of my travels. Never flog yourself up a hill, stop a while and enjoy the view, and never risk injury by riding across surfaces where it would be much safer for you to walk instead. Well that’s just my experience and method.
busb

Post by busb »

I've been using double-sided SPD pedals since the huge fat original ones. I set both my current pairs to near minimum tension. I've never had an issue with accidently disengaging - expect when I've fallen off.
Most times I've had an accident, my confidence also took a tumble for a bit. Choosing a route to suit one's mood or weather seems like a plan.
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

Today was my first ride using SPDs since my off last Sunday while MTB on Cannock Forest. In the week I fitted my V8 flat pedals that were on my bike before changing to SPD and went for a ride and found that my pedalling was all over the place, foot slipping on pedals, could not get a comfortable position on pedals and the ride was not comfortable at all. Today I set the tension at the lowest point on the SPDs and did a ride on trails and roads, no rough stuff and found everything okay although after an off I was very careful to unclip way before I needed to do until I get back into it with confidence. With flat pedals I seem to angle my right foot out on the pedals where with SPDs by adjusting the cleats my foot is in a straight line while pedalling due to being clipped and feels more secure, so I will continue with the SPDs and be extra careful when unclipping in the future although I am sure I will have some scary moments in the future.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

FREDO wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 1:52pmToday I set the tension at the lowest point on the SPDs and did a ride on trails and roads, no rough stuff and found everything okay although after an off I was very careful to unclip way before I needed to do until I get back into it with confidence. With flat pedals I seem to angle my right foot out on the pedals where with SPDs by adjusting the cleats my foot is in a straight line while pedalling due to being clipped and feels more secure, so I will continue with the SPDs and be extra careful when unclipping in the future although I am sure I will have some scary moments in the future.
Sounds good. If you end up with habitually unclipping only one side watch out for low-speed manouevering and obstacles, including the moving type.

Jonathan