Replacing rigid fork with suspension fork

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
pmkdlk

Replacing rigid fork with suspension fork

Post by pmkdlk »

I have moved from an urban area to countryside where there is loads of bumpy off road and cobbles which is great fun to ride but my Focus 'fittness' bike (100% alu) is far too hard. Ive gotten a suspension seatpost and put the biggest tyres i can fit on it but now realising there is going to be no substitute for front suspension on these roads. The only thing that looked promising was the RST singleshock which I ordered and it was just too long at the min length to keep me in my preferred position, which is basically relaxed road bike position. The redshift suspension stem will not cut it so this is a last ditch appeal before I just buy a mountain bike. Are there any suspension forks out there which can fit one of these 'fittness' bikes. The gravel bikes with sus are far too expensive , im looking for under 300 for forks or will just get a cheap hardtail and sacrifice the geometry of the fittness bike. thanks!
DevonDamo

Re: Replacing rigid fork with suspension fork

Post by DevonDamo »

pmkdlk wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 8:45amAre there any suspension forks out there which can fit one of these 'fittness' bikes.
A heads-up: when newly-registered people start a new thread on this forum, it's often the case that it ends up being their one and only post. Not sure why this is, but you could kill two birds with one stone here by replying with a link to the specific Focus bike you've got. (So people know you're still there, and can see what length/rake forks you're after.)
pmkdlk

Post by pmkdlk »

Thanks , I had a look online but the bike is so old so there are no links. I'll measure it up
rjb

Post by rjb »

A bit more info may get some response. What size wheel?, 26" or 700c are the most common. Do you need cantilever brake posts. Is it an ahead fork or a threaded fork you need and what size, 1" or 1,1/8" and how long a steerer column do you need.? :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

I'd say the answer was no. If you found the RST, which has 30mm travel(?) too long, you're going to find the same with any other suspension fork.
Have you had a bike with front suspension before? If not, I'd suggest not spending too much money, it might not be the answer you're hoping for. Sorry, I don't know what that answer is, just how disappointed I've been by suspension forks.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

If your budget for the fork is £300 and your bike is really old as you suggested I’d advise that you spend £300 on a secondhand front suspension bikes.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

The change in geometry to the bike you have already might be too much of an adjustment for you.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I would recommend a carbon fork with a Zertz suspension insert, best of both worlds.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

About £100 shipped from China, excellent quality will take disc brake

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Roubaix-Zertz-A ... 632-2357-0
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A couple of points.
Are you confusing position wiith geeometry? You don't want to mess with what you have yet want to put a suspension fork on. That will change geometry bcause the fork will be longer. It also changes length which changes everything evey second. If it fit you are worried about the this can be sorted with stems and seat posts once you by a frame the right size. If you want front suspension look for a decent old MTB with 26" whells, the only way the price will be low. Even then, 300 quid isn't really enough to buy something with nice forks unless they are screwed. This is why the bike will be cheap currently.
I would look at tyre size first. Big fat tyres will help. If you are just riding cobbles gravel and rough tarmac you don't need suspension. Maybe a more compliant carbon fork with fatter tyres at the most.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

The OP hasn't returned to this forum since he went off to measure his forks a month ago. Give him time - it's a tricky job.