Advice and help with tyre choice

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
gandi

Advice and help with tyre choice

Post by gandi »

Hello,
I have suffered with back ache for a long time (years),before giving up totally i tried a 29" hardtail with knobbly tyres and the back ache diminished,but then i found the rolling resistance and noise from the tyres quite harsh,so i opted for a fast road tyre firstly to get more speed and secondly for the road noise.The tyres are the spesh Fatboy's pumped up to maximum (70psi) but annoyingly my back ache has come back.
So are there any fast road tyres out there what i can use and retain the plushness on the rear end as im sure its this single factor that as relieved it.
Your thoughts and experiences please.

Thankyou.
sbcoombs

Re: Advice and help with tyre choice

Post by sbcoombs »

Depends on what terrain you ride. I use Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron for trails. If only riding road I would go for Schwalbe Marathons

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
irc

Post by irc »

70psi is quite high for a big tyre. If it is the 700x45 fatboy I think 70psi is too much. I use 60psi in the rear 700x37 tyre I use and I'm around 17 stone. Unless you are very heavy try 50 -60psi before thinking about tyre changes?
gandi

Post by gandi »

Hello,
Thanks for the replies,you say 60psi in the rear,what do you use in the front ?,is it still 70psi ? and use the suspension in the forks.by the way i am 144 lbs.

Cheers.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

The old rule of thumb is 15% tyre drop to estimate your tyre pressure. Measure the height of the tyre at the contact point without a load then get on the bike and get someone to measure the tyre height with a full load. Adjust your pressure so you get about 15% drop in tyre height.

OB

OB

If I'm wrong blame Tapatalk